• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snipers Notebook By John C Simpson

Pat M

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2005
Cashmere Washington
Wasn't able to pick one up at Oregon Sniper Challenge, was it any good, ? anyone willing to lend it to me if it was worth reading.

Pat

Re: Snipers Notebook By John C Simpson

Sir,

I have a copy and haven't read the whole book yet. Has some good info in it. THe book starts out with his career in the Army and compares Military and Law enforcement snipers. Also came with a disc and a fitness test for snipers.

I really want to reserve judgement until I read the book. So far I haven't found a source. Let me know if its out.

I'm only basing this on the review.

My concern is too many LE Sniper Books try to train LE Snipers like Military Sniping. Its different, as different as night and day.

I've taught both, military and LE. My certification as a LE Counter-Sniper Instructor is still valid and I still put on classes.

My concern is this is geared toward the large department, SWAT type snipers. Fine, that is a group, but by far the miniority of LE Counter Snipers.

A huge majority of police departments don't have SWAT units, nor do they have the budget to spend thousands of dollars on rifles and glass. The Sniper or counter sniper is an additional duty, called upon in a hostage situation or something simular.

So we are dealing with a patrolman, with his rifle in the trunk of his partrol car. He's called off his beat to handle a situation. There is no cammo, there is not stalking. He works his way to a spot where he can observe the situation. He may be a block a way or he may be parked out front leaning across the hood of his patrol car. This is just one of hundreds of situations, all different, no two are a like.

Even if you have SWAT, their may not be time for a call out.

Sniping isn't alone in this department, EOD or Bomb Squads are in the same boat.

This type of LE Sniper is all too often left out when it comes to training.

Again, I may be way off base, I haven't read the book. I might be all wet and I may have other questions.

But we can't make a review of a book based on a review of that book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really want to reserve judgement until I read the book. So far I haven't found a source. Let me know if its out.

I'm only basing this on the review.

My concern is too many LE Sniper Books try to train LE Snipers like Military Sniping. Its different, as different as night and day.

I've taught both, military and LE. My certification as a LE Counter-Sniper Instructor is still valid and I still put on classes.

My concern is this is geared toward the large department, SWAT type snipers. Fine, that is a group, but by far the miniority of LE Counter Snipers.

A huge majority of police departments don't have SWAT units, nor do they have the budget to spend thousands of dollars on rifles and glass. The Sniper or counter sniper is an additional duty, called upon in a hostage situation or something simular.

So we are dealing with a patrolman, with his rifle in the trunk of his partrol car. He's called off his beat to handle a situation. There is no cammo, there is not stalking. He works his way to a spot where he can observe the situation. He may be a block a way or he may be parked out front leaning across the hood of his patrol car. This is just one of hundreds of situations, all different, no two are a like.

Even if you have SWAT, their may not be time for a call out.

Sniping isn't alone in this department, EOD or Bomb Squads are in the same boat.

This type of LE Sniper is all too often left out when it comes to training.

Again, I may be way off base, I haven't read the book. I might be all wet and I may have other questions.

But we can't make a review of a book based on a review of that book. </div></div>

Disregarding the review of the book, you are spot on, brother. Designated Marksman is a term which far better describes what the job of the typical LE "Sniper" does, and one largely ignored.

Yes, you're off base. The book makes a clear division between military and law enforcement sniper training. It has two separate introductions; one for military readers and one for law enforcement readers.

I've been teaching military snipers since 1985 and police snipers since 1986 so I know the difference.

It's been out since Feb 2010.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the best place to purchase this book? I tried amazon and google, but came up with nothing</div></div>

I've read a poop pot full of sniper manuels, for LE and Military.

Since you can't buy this one:

The best one I've seen (and used) is the USAMU Sniper/Counter Sniper Guide.

Its not for SWAT, its more of a guide for the smaller departments in setting up a program.

It wont teach you to shoot, as they say, there are other books out there for that. It wont tell you how to handle each situation because no two situations are the same.

Its a guide, though writtin 30 years or so, ago, its still valid today.

And its FREE. Can be down loaded from the internet or if you can't find it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll give it to you.

Warning, its not about tacticool, its just plain VALID information.

Don't look for camo, ghilly suits, and stalking, That's not what LE counter sniping is about.

As I said,its free, that is what the AMU is about, not making money but providing information and training to the Military, LE and Civilians a like.

Partnered with the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) you have some good valid marksmanship training.

Wow. Books that are not allowed to be accessed by law-abiding citizens.

Something seems oddly familiar about that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhooker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Books that are not allowed to be accessed by law-abiding citizens.

Something seems oddly familiar about that...

</div></div>

The familiar face is the troll crying foul. It's not government censorship or imposed restrictions on information. It's a private citizen designating who he will and won't make his product available to and that's still acceptable in America. Take your nonsense elsewhere.

Mr. Simpson, where might LE interested in the book acquire a copy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Books that are not allowed to be accessed by law-abiding citizens.

Something seems oddly familiar about that...</div></div>

Like I said, the AMU teamed up with the CMP to provided that information for us peons. Reasonably prices. Squad Desinated Marksman DVD $6.95, Close Quarter Marksmanship DVD $6.95,

Service Rifle Guide, Service Pistol Guide, International Marksmanship Guide ($6.95 each)

Just a sample;

All from the CMP Bookstore

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=BKS

Now lets say you wanted to start a Counter/Sniper program for your 3-5 man department. If I was to offer advise I'd recommend getting the SDM DVD and the USAMU Counter Snper Guide. (Total cost: SDM DVD $6.95, USAMU Counter Sniper Guide $0.0, Total cost $6.95.}

Hows that for a LE budget in todays economy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The familiar face is the troll crying foul.

Take your nonsense elsewhere.
</div></div>

Somebody is a little touchy today. Since I work closely with local and State LEOs, I am all too familiar with your "outlook".

The same philosophy is applied to the argument that I don't need multiple high-powered rifles. Or high capacity magazines. I get asked by my cop friends all the time why I need such things.

I have no problem with Mr Simpson deciding who he sells his wares to. I was just making a humorous remark. When you resort to name calling as your first reaction it does nothing to reinforce your argument.

There certainly are some short fuses around here...