• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snorkeling With The Cool Kids,

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    So many of ya'll, talk and show off about your balmy tropics, and/or winter travels to places where you and your kids go snorkeling in the Gulf, and whatnot.

Then there are the other Cool Kids who've got the snorkel kit and 'special wires' for their vehicle to go traversing through the rivers and such.

But you know that you've really made it, when you see the prudence in needing not one, but TWO snorkels on your house. Because of 'Winter' and 'winds' and 'drifting snow' and such.

This/these truly DO make the difference between "warm and cozy" and "cold and drafty".

Winter Snorkel '22.jpg

And from the side, for perspective:
    Winter Snorkel '22 2.jpg

I don't get it brother, you're going to have to spoon feed me this one.
    No worries, and it's hard for me to figure out 'where to begin'.

Those snorkels are 4' off the ground, (at the bottom of the eves') and that is literally 'air snorkels' so that the combustion air intakes that are on the house ~1 foot off the ground don't get plugged/blocked with snow.

Thing is, we have Natural Gas furnace as well as Natural Gas hot water tank. In the kitchen, we also have a Natural Gas cooktop. Point being, all that 'natural gas' needs to be burnt, in order to create heat. Ergo, that 'combustion air' needs to be supplied. If you DON'T have a 'combustion air intake' then it will literally SUCK air in through every window, doorway, crack in the wall, gap at the bottom of walls, and foundation joints. Hence why houses are 'cold and drafty' because people block things off as much as they can. Often, they don't actually install a 'combustion air intake' (I shit you not,,,, wasn't in the Building Code for a LOT of years) so then you also have chimney's drawing air down and creating CO hazards as well.

But, not unlike the air breather in any vehicle, once you 'open that up' all the sudden you're getting performance, proper air-flow (where it's needed) and cleaner air in the home because of said airflow.

I don't know of anyone else in this city that actually has snorkels, though they are starting to sell 'manufactured ones' at the local Home Despots as well as at 'The Rona' and such.

Our furnace room is blocked off, so that is 'cold' with the outside air. But the house itself as is the basement, is SO MUCH warmer nowadays. We made those about 4 years ago, and this is also why:

I walk with a cane. I can't shovel snow "one-handed" so My Lady has to do all that. It sucks, and still bothers me to the core, but I have to live with it. We USED to keep a path clear to that intake, and it had to be shoveled a few times a week through the winter. I can't get her to do that, though she doesn't complain. So we built them snorkels (we started with 1, but figured "more is better" so we added a second one) and now the snow DOESN'T have to be shoveled all that way, all that often. This is the first time this season where the 'drift' needed to be moved, just to keep the airway 'unblocked'.

Go ahead and tell me more about 'how cold it is where you are.....' because you're talking about your drink,,, RIGHT? HA.

Hope that clarifies things for you too, brother.

No worries, and it's hard for me to figure out 'where to begin'.

Those snorkels are 4' off the ground, (at the bottom of the eves') and that is literally 'air snorkels' so that the combustion air intakes that are on the house ~1 foot off the ground don't get plugged/blocked with snow.

Thing is, we have Natural Gas furnace as well as Natural Gas hot water tank. In the kitchen, we also have a Natural Gas cooktop. Point being, all that 'natural gas' needs to be burnt, in order to create heat. Ergo, that 'combustion air' needs to be supplied. If you DON'T have a 'combustion air intake' then it will literally SUCK air in through every window, doorway, crack in the wall, gap at the bottom of walls, and foundation joints. Hence why houses are 'cold and drafty' because people block things off as much as they can. Often, they don't actually install a 'combustion air intake' (I shit you not,,,, wasn't in the Building Code for a LOT of years) so then you also have chimney's drawing air down and creating CO hazards as well.

But, not unlike the air breather in any vehicle, once you 'open that up' all the sudden you're getting performance, proper air-flow (where it's needed) and cleaner air in the home because of said airflow.

I don't know of anyone else in this city that actually has snorkels, though they are starting to sell 'manufactured ones' at the local Home Despots as well as at 'The Rona' and such.

Our furnace room is blocked off, so that is 'cold' with the outside air. But the house itself as is the basement, is SO MUCH warmer nowadays. We made those about 4 years ago, and this is also why:

I walk with a cane. I can't shovel snow "one-handed" so My Lady has to do all that. It sucks, and still bothers me to the core, but I have to live with it. We USED to keep a path clear to that intake, and it had to be shoveled a few times a week through the winter. I can't get her to do that, though she doesn't complain. So we built them snorkels (we started with 1, but figured "more is better" so we added a second one) and now the snow DOESN'T have to be shoveled all that way, all that often. This is the first time this season where the 'drift' needed to be moved, just to keep the airway 'unblocked'.

Go ahead and tell me more about 'how cold it is where you are.....' because you're talking about your drink,,, RIGHT? HA.

Hope that clarifies things for you too, brother.
    1st off, it is cold as fuck here. 🍺
    2nd, thanks for your time typing that, I see, said the blind man.
    Stay smart, man

Same here, so the pipe goes up over the peak. My roof is a 6/12 pitch. I think it has to protrude 4' out of the roof.

That's quite a bit of snow on a roof to cover the intake.

Burning outside air triples the efficiency of wood burning stoves, probably the same for natural gas furnaces.

Why wouldn't the intake air for your furnace be through pipes sticking out of the roof?
    I'm not saying they don't,,,,, I'm only saying that I'm not aware of ANY 'combustion air intakes' coming from the roof of any residential house or domicile.

I do know of many 'direct vent' style burners, that have the air intake AND exhaust going through the wall. Some through the same hole, though the two 'ends' are a minimum of 18" apart, or something like that.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Our fireplace brings in outside combustion air. It's got a intake just below the chimney chase. Our old house had a basic wood stove in it. Could be be 100 degrees in the living room and 40 in the bedrooms. We put an air tight stove in that house with outside combustion air, it made all the difference.

• Love
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    oh i used to HATE houses that had snow packed up against them like that….with the NID somewhere under it…somewhere on the house. i got to the point i would just tell them to call me back when they knew were it was, because i wasnt about to shovel the entire outside of their house looking for it. fuck that.

So many of ya'll, talk and show off about your balmy tropics, and/or winter travels to places where you and your kids go snorkeling in the Gulf, and whatnot.

Then there are the other Cool Kids who've got the snorkel kit and 'special wires' for their vehicle to go traversing through the rivers and such.

But you know that you've really made it, when you see the prudence in needing not one, but TWO snorkels on your house. Because of 'Winter' and 'winds' and 'drifting snow' and such.

This/these truly DO make the difference between "warm and cozy" and "cold and drafty".

View attachment 7799000

And from the side, for perspective:
    View attachment 7799001
    Bless your heart. A bone chilling 56 degrees here.

Network interface device

Box where phone company lines meet on house phone wires
    Ah, thank you. I know exactly where ours is, and it is extremely easy to get to. Not only that, but I, being a RESPONSIBLE house owner,,,, would clear the area specifically so that any serviceman whom needed to gain access to it, would easily and conveniently be able to do such. As it is, our gas meter (around the other end of the house) is already kept clear for two reasons:
    A) it needs to be visible for the meter-reader to walk by and take down the latest numbers for exhorbitant billing, and,
    B) it needs to be VENTED so that the diaphragm inside actually works properly. (most don't know that)

But otherwise, here's another tangent for ya'll to learn/grasp. 'Banking the house' definitely makes it warmer through the winter. Pile as much snow against it as you can, and do so as high as you can. Why, you ask?

Because the snow itself is insulation, and helps keep the inside warmer. Especially when it is ridiculously windy outside. Don't forget, eskimo's igloo's are WARM Inside. And they're made of snow. Now, I'm not at all sure about the Inuit's Habitations and if they are the same, but I do know that eskimo's igloo's are warm. Even with just a candle.

(sarcastic font off, now)