• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft snow and wind reading

223man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Marysville WA
I did a search for this but didn't find any thing, so if I missed the post please post it. Also I hope this is the right place to ask. So, my question is, when it is snowing out that obviously gives you the direction of the wind. Is it also a viable indicator for the wind speed? Or does some characteristics of the snow make it not a good indicator?

Thanx,

John

Re: snow and wind reading

Last spring(early) we shot at Raton, NM. As always, there was some tricky wind. It started to snow and that was the best I have ever done reading the wind there. It seemed dead nuts as far as direction and speed. You could change your focus and look at it at intermediate distances. We shot all the way to 700 yds that time. At times it did get hard to see the target, but you could tell what the wind was doing hahaah. Just my experience with it.

Very nice. It started to snow at my house to day and I could definitely tell when the wind picked up just even a little and could see the direction and then it hit me. "I wander if it is a good speed indicator?" lol. So thank 257 for the report.

I love shooting when big flakes are coming down, feels like cheating
wink.gif