• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Snow Ghillie

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
I go yote hunting during the winter, and I was thinking of making a ghillie for such a purpose. I want it to be light weight cause I have to walk in 5 feet of snow. What do you reccomend for the base? The garnish? I was thinking acu bdu's and some type of white synthetic material. Im confused, what should I do?

Re: Snow Ghillie

buy some snow camo like this or Nat. Gear. Ghille in five feet of snow = snowballs

34601EEWsnow_006.jpg

I thought about making it out of stuff that is waterproof and sheds the water. I want it to be like a normal ghillie

Sendero Man's camo is damn near perfect for most snow covered environments. You can also use some issue overwhites. Can use krylon to add texture effects as needed.

No need for a dedicated snow ghillie. I've seen guys make snow ghillies with attached strips of white fabric before, but when it's windy, the strips flail around in the wind and actually makes it easier to spot then just white clothing.

i dont know, i like usin ghillies. ill think about it

just saying wet snow and cold temps and your suit will weigh 50 lbs extra. I hunt coyotes a lot and am out in the conditions a ton. Just trying to save you some grief and time....
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont know, i like usin ghillies. ill think about it </div></div>

Sooooo... are you trying to create the most functional and effective concealment for those conditions or are you simply set on hunting in a ghillie so you can be tacticool and tell stories to your buddies about how you tactically stalked a pack of viscious Michigan yotes?

I just really like ghillies. it will be cheaper than getting that camo, so I am trying to make the best concealment for this condition. Plus, were I hunt there isnt that much brush, so the brush pattern will stick out a bit.

What kind of bipod are you using there Sendero?

Mine is good for prone but I am looking at some tripod options for when I need to be higher than the sagebrush, which is a lot in Wyoming.

What do think is your max range with that setup?

Thanks

I am gonna use waterproof materials though. The snow gets hard in february, when I start hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just saying wet snow and cold temps and your suit will weigh 50 lbs extra. I hunt coyotes a lot and am out in the conditions a ton. Just trying to save you some grief and time....
cool.gif
</div></div>

+1

Smooth outer clothing is a must in the snow to reduce the amount of snow that sticks to you. What happens when you go from a vehicle(warm) to lying in snow and back a couple times? Snow dosn't have to be wet to stick to you.

im just gonna get somw wte coveralls and use those. thanks guys.hi

Re: Snow Ghillie's hunting camo fabrics

IMG_3742.jpg

This is the tallest harris bipod with pod claws and it works great. Sendero, I will let you break in that rifle for a season if I can come with you for a week or two!

Re: "Snow Ghillie" PONCHO

this DVD would tell you how to make a "ghillie parka"
or water-proof ("ghillie Poncho") for winter.

"INVISIBLE ADVANTAGE (DVD)" at Amazon, Desc.
You can customize the netting or stick to
standard ghillie designs with mainly white and (some) foliage-based fabrics to underscore plain white color and highlight tree and vegetation camo.

A snow ghillie parka / poncho is the most realistic ghillie camo. Unless u starred in the movie "Shooter"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_3742.jpg

This is the tallest harris bipod with pod claws and it works great. Sendero, I will let you break in that rifle for a season if I can come with you for a week or two! </div></div>

might be a good trade....
wink.gif

Over whites, paint some effects, wash in G-Wax or Nik Wax waterproofing, dry it in a house dryer real good. Stitch or glue on commercial grade Velcro strips (an off white that looks good on old snow) on over whites, glue Velcro to natural veggies and stick on.

Use Madshush Lilli'hammer waxless skis with a good winter boot with NTN bindings for travel on snow unless you can find bindings that work with bunny boots, they are hard to find but out there. Much faster and burn way less energy than snowshoes on snow.

I made a "Snow Ghillie" one time, here I am in the field during a winter blizzard. Worked pretty good.

SnowAngel.jpg

Hey, I was on a southern hunting website and saw a what looked to be, simple and easy to make & ' Possibly ' do well as Snow-winter body concealment.

-
-

motivator438a7d350b4b2409055dc48937.jpg

-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I was on a southern hunting website and saw a what looked to be, simple and easy to make & ' Possibly ' do well as Snow-winter body concealment.

-
-

- </div></div>
you just blew my opsec you ass

seriously, go with a bedsheet and use it like a huge sniper veil

or....note the price http://www.magidglove.com/Magid-CVWHB11-EconoWear-White-Tyvek-Coverall.aspx?DepartmentId=219

Well im currently serving in army (Finland). My brigade is specialized in artic warfare (waiting for -40°C frosts).

What i have seen the m05 snow camo works way better then oringinal snow camo patterns/overwhite. I have hunt in winter times all my life, and i have never seen anything like it. German "Bundeswehrin Schneetarnanzug" works quite well but its nothing like m05.

Unfortunately m05 is not for sale but litle bit of krylon should do it. I will paint my snowsuit asap.

pics: M05 http://www.esaimaa.fi/files/panorama_Etsa_6257540.jpg

http://www.veikkovasama.net/blogikuvat/lumipuku.jpg

I thing that snow ghillie's are way too heavy. You get all sweaty when you move= when you stop moving sweat will freeze=cold. 5 feet of snow you are using snowshoes,skis or snowmobile?

Bottom line=overwhites+paint. Go for it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I was on a southern hunting website

- </div></div>

Does Stormfront count as a southern hunting website?

A few thoughts.

Being on a starkly flat, brightly lit snowfield, I don't think humans can create a fabric or print that will work. Then there's footprints, etc.

Stay in cover/foliage/undergrowth. Btetter to move during snowfall/wind advisory, and if absolutely necessary, at night, but aerial surveillance will be able to track footprints pretty much to their source come daybreak.

Snow is whiter than white, I see it as translucent, the crystals reflect ambient light down to some depth, and in enough directions to make any fabric stand out.

I would use lengths of pure white, utterly clean polypropylene twine as my net garnish, because I think it duplicates the translucency/depth factors better. I think this is one of the few instances where laundry detergent UV enhancers can be beneficial to camo (a nono for hunting camo, they make washed camo stand out like neon to certain animal species).

Personally dubious about snow ghillie, covert ops in open daylight/snowfall conditions.

Greg

All whitesuit doesnt really work that well. But when you add litle bit of grey patterns/stripes it will brake your figure much better. While hiding in snow thermal is a bitch. But coyotes dont have thermal gogles?

While hiding in snow, figure is easy to spot. if you are wearing just white suit it doesnt relly matter if you are wearing "pure" white or just "almost" white. Figure is the thing that stands out. Its easy to brake your figure whit stripes or patterns. Of course if you dont move at all and you are wearing snow white suit its almost perfect but still... +"pure white is not pure for long if you wear it.

We had a training last week about this (camoflage in winter time) and i was surprised how much those stripes can do. Every thing is round and soft in winter time (snowdrifts specially in woodlamnd areas).

just like Greg said stay in cover/foliage/undergrowth.
Foot step can stand out but if you use skis it doesnt really matters.

Like always dont move around. Movement stand out like always specially against forest(you are wearing white suit and there is black background? Big no no).

Take some warm clothes whit you so you can add layers while you are not moving. Day before you leave eat something that hav a lots of fat. It will give you energy that you need do keep you body warm. And dont wash your face before you come back, that fat(sebum?) in your face will help you so you dont get frostbites that easily. And drink lots of water before you go.

And drink some water! Winter is a bitch if you dont drink. You might not get thirsty but there will be a headache=dehydration. This happens so offen that i decide to tell you this before you get that all frostbites/headache.

Well, whitesuit and krylon it is. Thanks guys

Re: Snow Ghillie & "Shooter" film

I agree.
Has anyone seen the movie "Shooter" ? ...where a sniper is framed for political assination...he gets shot at wearing a
"white ghillie" in the mountains in one scene.

I'm assuming they are insullated for warmth.
Probably <span style="font-weight: bold">overkill</span>, you guys are right.
Gd luck Shay!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree.
Has anyone seen the movie "Shooter" ? ...where a sniper is framed for political assination...he gets shot at wearing a
"white ghillie" in the mountains in one scene.

I'm assuming they are insullated for warmth.
Probably <span style="font-weight: bold">overkill</span>, you guys are right.
Gd luck Shay!

</div></div>
never seen it, i'm suprised you're the first one to mention it on this site

well i see this is a VERY OLD thread, but since utter ridicule and persecution is brought on by posting something without a search, I will stay in this topic.
I have used 2 different sets of over whites in years past with terrible consequences. Very few are made of a waterproof material that not only sheds melted snow, but also keeps melting snow from sticking all over it to freeze again.
Trojan Over Whites are a great solution because they are made of a mil-spec ripstop nylon. but they are extremely expensive and hard to find.
My area of hunting is like stated eariler. Its very flat and has ZERO trees/brush to make use of the traditional break up paint jobs.
I am 90% done with my winter guillie for this years deer hunts and am already pleased. I found 6yds of white ripstop nylon on ebay for about $3/yd, deconstructed my overwhite pants. covered them with waterproof nylon, and sewed them back together. also took my overwhite jacket, and put the nylon over the front chest area as well as the arms. Took an old white golf net from the garage and cut proper size pieces for the hood, shoulders and back.
a good portion of the tied on material will be the nylon because it has almost zero weight and still provides break up of body shape, used occationl pieces of white yarn as well to give natural grass and weeds a place to stick to assist the break up...still tying on materials but will post pics with an over all weight of the suit in a few days.

(and if you watch the special features of "Shooter" they have a former sniper (that is on the Hide i believe) build the arctic guillie he uses)

I somehow knew the Boltman would post the famous YETI shot.

Seriously Shay, this is not something to put much into since it is an "over" item. EBAY "overwhites" periodically and find a pair of the overwhite trousers for less than 10 bucks. Buy a size much larger than what you need.

Dress for cold weather.

Pull cotton overwhite trousers over your normal wear. Take cheap white sheet, cut a hole in the center and put it over your head like a poncho. Apply a cord as a belt or fashion loosely over pack and the other gear. Scotchguard the trou and poncho, for a small bit of protection if you choose.

Carry several pieces of large artist chalk to fashion patterns that will come out when you want it to or that you can refashion. Grey and greens for instance.

Fold a second sheet as tightly in your pack as you can get it. If it is mostly white outside you can use the other sheet as a blind, and essentially disappear to the eye.

Not certain if the 'yotes are using the "best pack" and "best thermal imagers" in your next of the woods though.

C-bass makes a good point about the cotton as it will freeze solid, but if you are dressed well underneath this acts as a thermalayer - LOL. Especially if the wind is whipping off the water up there by Ft. Drum. Damn, that place can get cold.

In the art of camo and conceal, there are the standard rules and in snow it is colors as much as anything. First, be warm. Then aim to disappear when you are still.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I was on a southern hunting website and saw a what looked to be, simple and easy to make & ' Possibly ' do well as Snow-winter body concealment.

-
-

- </div></div>

Should do well in Compton or Watts....

might not be the best camo but as someone said earlier <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In the art of camo and conceal, there are the standard rules and in snow it is colors as much as anything. First, be warm. Then aim to disappear when you are still.</div></div>

The trojans have an almost nonexistant weight, my remaining 4yds (more than enough for a full suit) weights in at 6oz and keep you dry. I like i said, i have other over white systems but would wear these in a heart beat over my cotton or polyester set.
By the by, diggin your signature Wil

Is it just me or would a Tyvek paint suit do just nicely over your regular hunting cloths? A little Krylon Fusion to add some grey......

Cheers,

Doc

i'd be MORE than willing to test out a tyvek suit, but if they are anything like the ones we used to use in shop class back in high school...they tore really easy, but surely great advancements have been made in that retrospect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmblr3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a contact that works in a hospital ask him/her to scrounge,liberate,steal, a set of white coverals for you. They're super light,nylon reinforced,waterproof, and really keep in the human scent. </div></div>
are these the same as the Tyvek suits stated earlier or something different? do you have a label we could reference or a brand name to look for?

Look at cabelas or sportsman guild they have some cheap over suits for about 50 for top and bottom

As in the past, I like to do research into animals which are naturally camouflaged to deal with various environments. For instance, i like the patterns one see on snakes that inhabit Forests and the Southwest Drylands.

I came across the Norwegian Forest Cat, which is believed to have accompanied the Vikings to the New World and may have figured in the origins of the Maine Coon Cat. My Daughter has a cat which could be of this heritage.

I think this sparks some productive thought.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">overwhites offer some protection from wind and wet...
MVC-025S-1.jpg
</div></div>

Shemagh's are just for summer!!!!

Ah crap, and all this time I've been calling that a burnoose.

My bad.

this has already kinda be said here but I found this is another older topic.

A ghillie suit is meant for absorbing light, blending with natural vegitation, and creating indistinct shapes with shadows.

Snow tends to have a very even shape (depending on what it's covering), shadows aren't good when everything else is evenly lit as is usually the case with snow, and the material will move in the wind at an inconsistant rate from the snow, drawing the eye to the suit.

I think our friend from Finland said it pretty well.
I am from a relatively cold and snow-infested place myself.
What I found when it comes to camoflage is that little varies as much as the winter. Start in the valley with patches of snow on the ground and bare trees, require overwhite pants and regular jacket etc for upright movement. Setting up camp, lookouts etc, you may have to use white camo for low positions, but then stay away from the bare ground while camo`ed up. Moving uphills, snow covers all ground except under larger trees. Camp in whites under one of those and you will stick out like a sore thumb. Juniper bushes are better because they will be dense and keep the snow on top better, and be darker underneath providing more shadow allowing use of regular camo. Footprints are easily seen, especially when/if wearing pull-over cover boots with larger footprints and bulkier, not so gentle movement as combat boots.Even higher, snow on ground and in trees. Disturb a tree, and the falling snow can be seen for hundreds of yards (especially if the snow is dry and "shiny" and reflects lots of light) and immediately draws attention.
Moving around in wintertime is in my opinion more about knowing where to move safely with speed, and then moving with extreme caution in unknown areas. Using the depth of the terrain as a barrier and minimizing movements is even more important when the terrain is covered in soft white curves and more "easy" on the eye, making the eye more receptible to movement and things that should not be there/were not there a while ago.
One should never walk on the front of a ridge if it can ever be avoided, stay just a foot or two behind and your tracks or footprints remain unseen. If you have to move along the front of a ridge, try to stay in at least relatively flat areas as footprints in slopes are easier to spot from a distance.
When crossing over a ridge, do so behind a rock or bushes to cover your tracks just when you cross, as anything (tracks, movement, disturbed snow etc) on top of a ridge stands out even more than on even ground.
Footprints/ski tracks can swing both ways though, use map, plan ahead and go fishing
wink.gif

What it comes down to is that you sometimes have to be even more aware of your surroundings in wintertime and change/rearrange camo way more often, depending on how and where you operate...
White will never be just white, so I would go with something whitish with specks or stripes in it to blend in with vegetation etc as one cannot expect the white color itself to blend with the snow.Overwhites/winter camo should be just that, nothing to rely on for anything but some degree of concealment, since they will easily reveal you in the wrong spot if you rely on them for warmth/cover.

Some common advice on winter adventures (most of you will know this but if it can save a toe or two...):
Clothing is layered,providing insulating air between them and easing temp adjustment, whatever materials suits you but wool should be involved. Newer wool fabrics will not itch like in the old days and will let sweat through and most important; they are warm even when wet.
Some synthetics are OK (expensive superunderwear etc) but others will kill you if(when) you get wet (and you will!) so be aware of what you buy.
Never wear more than required, if you dont feel cold after a few minutes rest you are overdressed and will work up a possibly dangerous sweat when moving.Keep one dry set of at least underwear and socks, for use when resting/sleeping only.
Though it may seem tempting, put on the wet ones (dried as much as possible during the rest, on your body;) )and save the dry stuff until you really need it.
If hands are cold, put them in your armpits skin-to-skin (its only cold for a few seconds) and cold feet are warmed up on your buddys bare belly, take turns doing this, warming the underside while massaging the top of the feet and lower legs.
Stay clean but dont overdo it, as the body will "grease" itself up especially face and hands to keep warm. Head/face, wrists,hands, knees and feet are the body points that let off most heat and should be protected. (The rest of the body will most likely be properly dressed anyway, but for example too short gloves or shitty head gear can cause you to loose body-heat).

Stay cool
wink.gif

John - out

Well, Im gonna start on the ghillie. I decided to go and do it with a little encouragement. Pics up when im done.