• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

C.K

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
WI
I have a old pair of 12x60 Alaskans style that need new center lace and are being shipped out for repair. So I need a new pair, has any one tried the Objibwa style shoes?? Or are there any other shoes any of you recommend?

Re: Snow shoes

I own/use the Algonquin and Modified Bear Paw's, as far as traditional snowshoe design. The Mod Bear Paw shines in tight quarters and the Algonquin is better in more open terrain. I've picked up some new aluminum/synthetic shoes but haven't used them yet.

I bought 4 sets(a pair for the 2 kids and a 30 and 36 inch set) of tubbs a couple ears ago and don't like them. The kids do fine on them but they don't break trail in powder either.

I have limited experience with snowshoes. However, for what it's worth: I have a pair of Cabelas Outfitter Pro snowshoes that came with the tote and poles. I like the snowshoes a lot, I like the ratcheting bindings better than other bindings I have seen. Do not like the collapsable poles. I had a chance to play a little with a pair of MSR Denali Evo snowshoes, and they seemed to be the cat's meow as far as weight goes. Super light, but I didn't care much for the bindings. I didn't get to wear them all day, but they seemed comfortable, and maybe the weight factor would have outshined my dislike for the bindings.

I have two pair of the ojibway snowshoes I laced and finished myself. I like them as they nest together well and the tips help them ride up with each step. I had heard they work well for splitting grass, it seems they would, but i have not tried. I prefer the wood to aluminum myself, having used both.

MSR lightning ascent

^^^^ pros /simple binding system that doesn't freeze up and break
easy to use with cold fingers
heal lift feature is nice
cookie cutter frame acts like big crampon for off camber areas
lite weight

cons / expensive
needs a better way to secure the free end of the binding straps
the largest size doesn't float as the weight rating describes

I have used Cabela guide shoes and Atlas for work, and the small ratcheting bindings will give up and break on these.

Of course it allways comes down to how much use and what you expect from the equipment.

I have a pair of MSAR. It's easy to put on and does ell in tight quarters. It also has an extension that can be added to the tail of the snowhoes for added support in very soft snow.