• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snowblowers

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
I’m thinking about getting my dad a snowblower for Christmas. He lives in the southern part of PA averages about 30” of snow per year. He’s got a decent sized driveway and a lot of sidewalk.

Anybody have any recommendations? Looking for a 2 stage true self propelled unit 26-30” wide. Want to stay at or about $1000-$1200 bucks. Any brands to stay away from?

I was just at my local Ariens dealer. The only blowers they have on order are the compact 24’s. And they don’t know when they will arrive

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 31
Ariens 28 DeLuxe SHO. I have two of 'em. Paid $1249 in February 2019 and $1499 two weeks ago. Same dealer. ( Let's Go, Brandon!) They blow snow like a sumbitch.
I'll second that. My deluxe 28 has been great for 6 years now. I actually dont mind dealing with the snow now that I have it.

Reactions: 1911hombre
another vote for Ariens... now on my 2nd blower, a Deluxe 30... had a 26 prior and it was a workhorse for 18 years.. only had the self propelled system worked on once.. but was a bit tired of the shorter throw in a heavy snow condition.. would take two hours to do the drive way... my 30 now does it in 45 minutes... tons of power, tons of throw... the last and work

Electric start and don’t put ethanol fuel in it! Drain the tank and carb bowl every year. With that in mind make sure draining the carb bowl isn’t a bitch. Honda engine is a plus. Make sure it’s set up correct. Don’t trust the dealer to set it up.

Electric start and don’t put ethanol fuel in it! Drain the tank and carb bowl every year. With that in mind make sure draining the carb bowl isn’t a bitch. Honda engine is a plus. Make sure it’s set up correct. Don’t trust the dealer to set it up.
I don't drain the tank on ours, just turn the fuel off and run it until it dies, then start it again and until it won't run anymore when I put it away in the spring. I agree with no ethanol fuel.

Spend the money for a 24" or wider Honda or Yamaha brand snow blower. Get wheels, not the rubber tracks.

Toro or Ariens if money is an issue.

I've had a Husqvarna two stage for 12 years, doing driveways between Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota. Never a problem with it in that time. NO ethanol gas, change oil before it is put away in the spring, Stabol added to the full tank of gas. Yes, it has electric start.

I’m on my second Ariens. My first is 20 years old and still works fine (824), but I got a nice deal on a Pro 28”.

Always choose a machine with more power to width ratio. In other words, if an 11hp 24” machine is the same price as an 8hp 28” machine then go for the narrower one. You may think that the wider machine means less passes, but thats not true when the impeller can’t handle all the additional snow from the bucket. And if it can’t turn it and throw it then you’ll just be making narrrower passes anyway. And forget about throwing the end of drive sludge.

I’ve got an Ariens also. Got it for free from some family friends but it’s my second one. They just work.

Being it’s for your dad, do him a solid and opt for the electric start.

Pulling over a motor when it’s butt cold outside, sucks.

Reactions: DIBBS
Get the electric start. 26 or 28 should do it, sometimes a larger one is difficult to maneuver. You often have to muscle them around sometimes.
As mentioned, drain gas in spring. My Husqvarna is 20yrs old and still runs great.

I have the same 8 HP Ariens I purchased in 1989+/- Good people and made near me in Brillion WI

Reactions: RMB
30" all year?

An electric flappy paddle will take care of that. I don't bother starting the blower for less than 6" of snow. More hassle than it's worth.

My dad bought a troy built in 2008 that was still going strong until we sold it this year after he passed. This was used a ton since they lived in ND. Still looked new and I sold it for almost what they paid for it.

Last edited:
I have the Ego two stage battery powered blower and it will do what it claims it will do. I have to power the blower down to keep from blowing my snow 50’ into my neighbors yards. The deepest snow I’ve gone through was 18” and it ate it up. The benefit to be is I don’t have to mess around with gas, I don’t have to hope it will start, I don’t have another combustion motor to maintain, and it’s a lighter more maneuverable unit. My wife can handle it no problem.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Another vote for Ariens. Don’t know your dad’s age, but the bigger ones can be heavy. Get something HE can handle and maneuver comfortably. As @Bryan W M mentioned, run good fuel (100LL for ours), and electric start is great.

Another vote for Ariens. Don’t know your dad’s age, but the bigger ones can be heavy. Get something HE can handle and maneuver comfortably. As @Bryan W M mentioned, run good fuel (100LL for ours), and electric start is great.
After looking into them some more I’m trying to find a deluxe 24”. The deluxe has the “power steering” feature and a 24” weighs about 300lbs so it shouldn’t be too bad for him

View attachment 7751710

8 Ball and this shovel is the trick.......
I used to do this on our driveway with a scrap piece of plywood. It was the perfect size (3x6’ ish) On a light, fluffy snow day, I could have my (3car)driveway done while the non-poors were still dicking around with starting their blowers. Couldn’t budge it on a wetter snow though.

Buy him a 24"/5.5hp anything. I've got a MTD blower and have had it 12 years. Haven't done anything to it, except change the oil and keep the tires pumped up. Still has the original belts. It's starting to show a little rust from the salt on the end of the driveway by the road, but still in primo shape. It's light, and if your dad has to muscle it around, he won't blow a nut doing it. Some of those Ariens are huge. Good luck in your search. Mac(y)
ETA: I live in Wisconsin, so, yeah, we have snow.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer