• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors So how hot does a can get????

Re: So how hot does a can get????

Did you get an actual temperature reading? What's the new can made out of?

Now it's all well and good on the range, but I have to make sure mine doesn't touch my legs when I let it hang from the sling.

Yet another reason I am going to register my rifle and drop a 10.5" barrel on it. The 14.5" (legal 16 with the QD) just doesn't get it when you have to transition on the move.

Mine isn't full auto, but it doesn't really matter when you are pulling the trigger fast.

So how hot can a suppressor get before it does damage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now it's all well and good on the range, but I have to make sure mine doesn't touch my legs when I let it hang from the sling.

Yet another reason I am going to register my rifle and drop a 10.5" barrel on it. The 14.5" (legal 16 with the QD) just doesn't get it when you have to transition on the move.

Mine isn't full auto, but it doesn't really matter when you are pulling the trigger fast. </div></div>

Not sure what you are referring to; Any can will get hot with heavy use; My 10.5" with a can probably gets close to as hot, certainly hot enough to brand someone.

Are you saying you wouldn't run a can because you could burn yourself? Even the barrel alone will brand you if you are not careful after a few mags.

I'm able to setup my two and three point slings to keep the barrel slightly away; never had any problem with transitions during carbine classes.

About twenty some odd years ago, a friend and myself ran several mags through a mini-14 and layed it down on the tail gate of the truck to retreive the target that we shot. On the walk back we could see the smoke rising from the back of my truck. The t-shirt that the barrel was resting on was blazing.

I handed the M4 to my buddy as I got in to drive, he didnt realize how hot they could get and put the muzzle of the can onto the floorboard of the Chevy truck. Burned and melted its way right to the metal in seconds flat.

No video but I had it glowing red during my early evening session with it. It's a lot of time putting rounds through these things for testing.

316L stainless an 6 and 7 hundred series Inconel are the popular materials in carbine cans these days. The 316L is probably more than enough for most civilian shooters. Although very expensive as a material the Inconel has 3 times the strength of 316L and can take substantially more heat also.

Substantial torture tests have been done by many industry manufacturers and T & E groups in the military, but most tests done in the military are far too aggressive to be fair to the materials and products presented. The T and E folks just dont realize the realistic limitations of suppressors. Its too bad

No temp reading but I would guess in the 1300+ range. We've had the temp gun out in the past and hit 1350 with our 223P can. This can is made from 316.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeresJohnny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are you saying you wouldn't run a can because you could burn yourself? Even the barrel alone will brand you if you are not careful after a few mags.

I'm able to setup my two and three point slings to keep the barrel slightly away; never had any problem with transitions during carbine classes. </div></div>

No, I am saying that if I am not careful with my suppressed 14.5" it will brand my kneecaps, back of my calves, etc. A 10.5" barrel will have less tendency to swing because you are placing the moment of inertia closer to the axis.

I run a single point sling on my rifle. They are MUCH better for assaulting than a two or three point, but they suck for carrying the rifle. A single point lets things swing. That's the drawback.

Lastly, carbine classes are a bit controlled compared to real life.

you can bake duracoat off haha

All that sound energy has to go somewhere, so it gets converted to heat. A full auto can get a can incredibly hot.

All finishes bake off... its frustrating.

I was shooting up the range over here in iraq quite a bit and we were doing some moving and shooting/transitions and i was wearing shorts... I had a can on my M4 and thought... FUck this. hahaha. I sat out for a little while Cuz i didnt have pants. Had i been running a 10.5 i probably could have continued the training with the can on without worrying about burning myself.

i mentioned this very topic before........

Toddacguy and myself did some experiments with different manufactures of suppressors at two different settings with a thermal imaging camera.....the camera allow a bracketing of temp ranges, and we standardized our experiment to six rounds for each of the different suppressors......

what we found was that some cans peaked very quickly to a 350* and others to a much lesser degree within the six round experiment.....some had a nasty hot-spot and one other, had a much even distribution of heat.....

unfortunately the memory stick was not formatted to allow a download....but the images and color/heat distribution remains and came be shown on the playback function of the thermal camera itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjiDtrA3P8A - More than 4 minutes of constant firing, much of which is full auto.

Inconel becomes hot workable at about 1800*, and could well fail long before then. Titaniumn alloy is good up to 1400* or so. Construction and welding can make your mileage vary greatly, I would assume. I saw a recent test where a poster claimed after a few rounds of full auto fire his suppressor gauged at over 1,000*F.