• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So I bought a “Just As Good”, Burris XTR3

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    So I bought one of these things to see what the hype is about, people are constantly comparing them to scopes costing $2K (and even more) claiming they’re as good or better. My only experience was shooting with one once on someone else’s rifle and I wasn’t very impressed. I tried to order one back in November but it was cancelled by the vendor with no explanation as to why. I came across one for under $800 delivered from another vendor so I decided to give it another try. I received it this morning and it’s indeed what it was supposed to be and not a refurb or blemished model like some retailers sell for similar pricing which I thought it might have been and misadvertised.

I bought it to go on a 22 bolt gun but decided to mount it up on my Seekins 223 DMR that’s a known good shooter to test it out first.

My initial thoughts are that it’s not bad but IMO comparing it to a $2K optic is a pretty exaggerated conclusion.

The glass is better than the other sample I was behind and I can’t see any noticeable CA in it so far but I’ve only been checking it out for a couple hours so far and at my house where it can only look at stuff to about 600 yards. The eyebox is generous and doesn’t do any weird stuff or have distortion if you move your head around a little. FOV is very good too. SCR 2 reticle is a great design and this illuminated version is very good on the low end and I can tell it would make a great crossover options.

The bad… There’s noticeable flaws in the overall build quality that is common with budget types scopes, and yes that is what these are. The knurling is absolute cheese grater status, I can’t imagine how bad the US made models that are supposedly worse must be.

The most noticeable thing is the play in the elevation turret, it has .05 mil of play so when you’re dialing up it basically goes half way to the next mark on the turret than what your actually on, you rotate back a little and can feel the detent. It’s honestly pretty bad and I would describe as very sloppy. Other than that the elevation feels nice, great tension, feel of the clicks, and audibility. If it wasn’t for the slop that’s on the extreme side I’d give it a 10/10 but the slop is bad enough I’d say it’s a 5/10.

The windage turret is stiff and mushy at the same time and almost non audible and you can barely feel the clicks. If I was going to put the external knob on I would care but I don’t dial wind so as long as it tracks to zero it I couldn’t care less what it feels like. Some people are very picky about their windage turrets but I’m not. If it cost twice what it did then I’d expect it to be better. It did come with the extra windage turret.

The parallax is stiff but not as stiff as the other sample I used. It’s acceptable but could be better. It’s not smooth at all when turning it and feels different throughout its revolution. The illumination knob cap sticking out beside it is like a circular saw blade. Really dumb design.

The magnification ring isn’t too stiff, I’d say just a little stiffer than just right so it’s not bad as far as that goes and better than the other sample I used which was very stiff. It’s pretty rough though. It feels almost gritty when turning it and it’s not an even tension throughout the range, it gets easier and stiffer as your turn it much like the parallax. I’ve worked it a good bit thinking maybe grease needed to be dispersed around in the erector but it hasn’t made a difference.

Overall for what I paid it’s not bad so far. This thing absolutely is not on par with a MK5, NX8, ATACR though that they constantly get compared to other than having a nice eyebox and maybe the glass being close (definitely not superior). On every sample of those mentioned optics I’ve used they have all had great feeling turrets with no play, proper tension on the controls and were smooth.

I’ll be shooting it tomorrow at the local range and will have it at a 1000 yard range in the next couple weeks to see how it tracks and how the glass holds up through mirage and heat and how the DOF is. I’ll update this thread with any problems and periodic updates at probably the 6 month and 1 year mark. I plan to keep this thing long term to see how it holds up to see if it has better reliability than the other Phillipino optics that I’ve had which has been pretty disappointing.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpeg
      IMG_0609.jpeg
      289.7 KB · Views: 233
    • IMG_0612.jpeg
      IMG_0612.jpeg
      309.6 KB · Views: 242
    Last edited:
    Range updates. I’ll update this reply to include range updates for the optic.

2/2/24: Initial zero and some groups at my local 100 yard range. The optic tracked accordingly to what the reticle showed to zero the optic in two rounds. This isn’t a tracking test at all but it shows the reticle and adjustments are true. It has 19.5mil of travel left with a 100 yard zero in a 0MOA mount which is very good IMO. A 20MOA would get roughly 25mil on this setup. I shot the rifle at different magnification settings and it doesn’t change POI. I’ll do a tracking test at some point, but so far it seems to be solid mechanically.

I played with the parallax knob and magnification ring more in between letting the barrel cool and shooting the other rifle I brought. The parallax knob is now even tension for the full rotation and is completely smooth, it’s still a little bit on the stiffer side but it’s acceptable. The magnification ring is also better as far as even tension throughout the revolution. It still gets a little easier going from 12-18x but not the opposite direction but it’s far less noticeable. The grittiness has gotten worse though, there’s definitely debris of some sort under the magnification ring that it’s trying to eat. It’s also much more audible now where initially out of the box I could feel it more than I could hear it.

Setting the elevation turret to split the slop to .025 mil so it’s even on each side of the turret marks makes dialing and reading what click it’s on basically a non issue. The slop isn’t great but given the price stuff like this is reasonably acceptable and it could be worse so I can’t hate on it too much since splitting it took care of the issue of being able to easily visualize what is dialed. Other than the slop the elevation turret has the perfect combination of a clunk and snappiness in both the feel and audibility to what I like.

The glass quality is very good for the price. The only other optic I brought to compare is my Leica Amplus 6 which really isn’t a fair comparison because it’s substantially better glass in every aspect. The Burris is very bright and shows colors great and it has a great FOV as reported, certainly above average. Where it falls short though is resolution. It’s good for its price point but it definitely lacks great detail when looking at bullet holes in the paper target, blades of grass, tree leaves, and so forth. There appears to be some CA but I’m not someone that CA bothers much or really notices it unless it’s either really bad or I’m trying to see it. Unless I come across a situation where it becomes more noticeable or an issue I probably won’t comment on it any further than saying it’s ok I guess and would refer looking at the @Glassaholic review for better feedback on CA.

Overall for two days of having it and one 100 yard range session I would would say the optic is very good at its price point assuming it remains reliable which is going to take a while to prove. I’ll reserve judgement on other optic comparisons until I get it side by side and also have some other people evaluate them all as well.

Last edited:
    I respect your attempt at being impartial. But out of every poster I've ever interacted with for the last decade on the Sniper's Hide, you're the worst possible person I can think of to be reviewing a Burris optic.

I do think you're trying to make a fair effort for "you". You did after all leave off your "Burris is trash" tag line. Based on what we've seen so far, it'll be slight nods to items done right squeezed in between subtle and even not so subtle bashing of the optic. What you said so far already goes against the grain of the opinions of the very large majority of XTRIII owners. And I'm tempted to quote a couple dozen and pull them into your thread. They're easy to find.

I doubt youll need all those follow up slots. Anyone who knows you already knows what you’re gonna say here. But it's you're thread, I'll stay out of it. 😉

Last edited:
    lol way to write it off. I fully expected you to come in here and suggest I send it back to Burris for an evaluation because “that’s not how they should be” though.

I’ll provide honest feedback on my experience and you’re more than welcome to get the fuck out of my thread if you don’t like what I have to say.

I saw you also have a MK4HD enroute. It would be an intriguing compare & contrast report.

I actually ended up cancelling the order and going with a different optic because the SKU I ordered wasn’t going to be delivered for several months. I’ll have a MK5 3.6-18 and NX8 2.5-20 shortly for comparison though.

The slop on the elevation turret statements are spot on. Really my only complaint with the optic.

I’ll provide honest feedback on my experience and you’re more than welcome to get the fuck out of my thread if you don’t like what I have to say.

No you won't. You've spent years bashing Burris. Now we're suddenly supposed to take you seriously?

And we already know what you have to say.. You've said it all before.

I'm officially fucking off. Have at it brother 🤣

I agree. You’ll never give this a fair shake.
    You haven’t even had it out hardly and have already decided “that it’s not bad but IMO comparing it to a $2K optic is a pretty exaggerated conclusion”. Which beside “Burris trash” is pretty much your opinion the entire time. Just saying.

I agree. You’ll never give this a fair shake.
    You haven’t even had it out hardly and have already decided “that it’s not bad but IMO comparing it to a $2K optic is a pretty exaggerated conclusion”.

When I pull it out of the box and the controls are rough and uneven and the elevation has half click of slop and the optics it’s constantly compared to as being equal are smooth and positive then what else is that?

I spent my money on this thing and I’m not on there shooting team with their logo as my avatar. I provide honest feedback on everything I use or come across. Unless you’re blind you can figure out that I’m a fan of a lot of stuff that I critique their short comings. I’m not biased just because I own and overall like something. I recently got a Zeiss that I like that I spent over twice what I did on this Burris I’ve described it’s flaws. I really like AI rifles and I’ll be the first to tell you the flaws with some of them and the company.

So as I said to the fluffer, if you don’t like what I have to say then you can get the fuck out of the thread and not read it.

No you won't. You've spent years bashing Burris. Now we're suddenly supposed to take you seriously?

And we already know what you have to say.. You've said it all before.

I'm officially fucking off. Have at it brother 🤣
    I really think your biased cheerleading for Burris and Rednecks biased hate for the optics might strike a balance in the optical force that guides us all…

Seriously, he gave a no shit assessment of the optic which does not contradict known dislikes of the particular unit in question.

@redneckbmxer24 - I recall you might have Bushnell DMR 2 or 3? If so, what are your comparisons?

Last edited:
    I’m interested in what you think of it. I had a XTR3i 3.3-18, have an XTR3 5.5-30, an XTR Pro 5.5-30 and a Mk5 7-35. I haven’t shot them yet, my action just came in and I’ll pick one or two of them to keep.

My experience of the XTR’s is probably best summed up like this: the glass, reticles, illum and eyebox on all of them is really really good for the price, and the controls vary widely between all of them and are generally a sub-par experience.

My XTR3, known for bad parallax, has somewhat stiff but not bad parallax. It has a little mush on the there’s but not nearly as bad as yours. But they’re pretty dang stiff and very rough on the hands if you’re dialing multiple shots.

My XTR3i had better turrets but was still just ok.

My XTR Pro has the worst controls I think I’ve ever felt. I think the previous owner got this thing really dirty or something because I’ve never felt such rough/stiff controls and I don’t think this scope came this way. The glass is awesome, the design and size of the controls is awesome. I think this will be a great scope if I can get the knobs to spin like they should.

The Mk5 doesn’t have the same FOV as the others but it feels really good and has pretty low tension on the parallax. The parallax knob also wobbles. It has great turrets/clicks and a different kind of feel to it than the XTR’s. The XTR’s are more tense and snappy between intervals and the Mk5 is more light/smooth between clicks. That will just come down to preference.

I’ll get to try them out this weekend and see what I like.

Funny that you were congratulating me via PM on trying one out and “welcome to the dark side” but yet I can’t be trusted to provide feedback. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass.

Again you misquote me. I said "Maybe come to the dark side while they are marked down"? I can provide a screenshot.

You were talking about buying them, which you did. Welcome to being a Burris owner, we appreciate your purchase.

Trust you to give an honest evaluation? I made myself clear already on that subject. And you've already made your dislike clear. You try to hide it behind semi-nice statements, but its clear.

This whole thread is a lame ass poke at some sort of credible review. Stop addressing me, I'm trying to get out of this catastrophe..

I have several Burris scopes.

Bought a new XTR3 that I mounted up on the rifle and when I went to set my zero stop I noticed the turret locking allen head screw was stripped from the factory so I returned to Burris and they fixed it.
    Since my PST Gen 2 was off the rifle, I compared both scopes at 1600 yards and could not really see much difference (To My Eyes), so I ended up selling it and putting the PST back on the rifle. Not bad scope at all but not really a big enough jump from what I using.
    If I didn’t already have the PST G2 then the XTR3 would be my top choice due to being 34mm back then.

I had also previously tried Toric and it too did not appear to be much different than the PST G2 at 2200 yards. Also had a manufacturing flaw (parallax issue-known issue by Tract) so I ended up getting a refund.

My next rifle buy I’m planning on a Leupold MK4 HD so looking fwd to reviews. It appears to be a strong contender in its price point.

Last edited:
    Then fuck off burrisdawg, I thought you already were.
    @redneckbmxer24 - I recall you might have Bushnell DMR 2 or 3? If so, what are your comparisons?

I’ve got a DMR2, it’s up in VA but I’m heading up there in a couple weeks to pick up a lot of my stuff so I’ll compare them. Mine isn’t the best sample though and not on par with the DMR3’s or most other DMR2’s. The DMR’s and DMR2’s varied pretty widely when it comes to glass quality, I’ve had a quite a few of them and most were good but that one is not very good and I got it pretty cheap second hand ($650) because of that.

Reactions: FredHammer
    I think all the pros and cons of the XTR3i have been touched on ITT. They are solid scopes and IMO they’ve been the best “value” optic around $1000 for the past couple years. Previously that was the Cronus. I suspect the new Leupold mk4 will take that spot. Glass, controls and weight will all be superior to the XTR series. Tradeoff will be FOV. Reticles are in the eye of the beholder.

Since we’re hating on Burris, I’ll say I tried 3 separate XTR pros and was unimpressed with all of them. Marginally better than the XTR3i but not worth the uncharge. Also not a peer to razors, mk5 or nx8/ATACR.

Last edited:
    Reactions: redneckbmxer24
    I think these Burris fanbois must be blind in one eye and can't see outa the other.( My Dad used to say that all the time.) He also used to say, " More power to 'em!" whenever he would see a crow eating road kill.... I feel both of these golden oldies apply here.

Thanks for the quick assessment southern biker ;) I have yet to grab a Philippine made XTR IIIi but would like to at some point when the time is right. Your comments on the knurling remind me of the US made XTR III which someone coined as being "dragon scales" a while back and it's stuck with me, because that knurling feels like it will rip your skin off. I had both a US made 3.3-18 and 5.5-30 and the 5.5-30 had "easier" controls but still a bit tight. That is my biggest gripe with these scopes; however, at the current price point I am not going to complain, especially now that they have illumination. For there current price point there is not much that can compete when it comes to the optical performance - glass, edge to edge clarity, FOV and mag range all make for what I think is one of the best price:performance ratios on the market. For $1k street (sometimes less) I just don't see much competition here, Leupold Mark 4 may provide some but as previously mentioned at the cost of FOV but different things matter to all of us so it's great we have these choices. The PST was mentioned above, I am quite surprised that Vortex has taken so long to come out with a PST III line especially when Burris released their XTR III in 2018, if Vortex came out with a PST III line with improved glass and price point around $1k I think we'd finally have some competition here, but until that happens I don't see much that will change the XTR IIIi being one of the better values at its current price.

Burris needs to put a disclaimer on the XTRIII and XTRIIIi scope boxes - man hands only.
    YUP, I can abide a great deal. Knarly controls n such. But ya pour some flaked off anodizing into my sight picture and that's a hard NOPE.

So I bought one of these things to see what the hype is about, people are constantly comparing them to scopes costing $2K (and even more) claiming they’re as good or better. My only experience was shooting with one once on someone else’s rifle and I wasn’t very impressed. I tried to order one back in November but it was cancelled by the vendor with no explanation as to why. I came across one for under $800 delivered from another vendor so I decided to give it another try. I received it this morning and it’s indeed what it was supposed to be and not a refurb or blemished model like some retailers sell for similar pricing which I thought it might have been and misadvertised.

I bought it to go on a 22 bolt gun but decided to mount it up on my Seekins 223 DMR that’s a known good shooter to test it out first.

My initial thoughts are that it’s not bad but IMO comparing it to a $2K optic is a pretty exaggerated conclusion.

The glass is better than the other sample I was behind and I can’t see any noticeable CA in it so far but I’ve only been checking it out for a couple hours so far and at my house where it can only look at stuff to about 600 yards. The eyebox is generous and doesn’t do any weird stuff or have distortion if you move your head around a little. FOV is very good too. SCR 2 reticle is a great design and this illuminated version is very good on the low end and I can tell it would make a great crossover options.

The bad… There’s noticeable flaws in the overall build quality that is common with budget types scopes, and yes that is what these are. The knurling is absolute cheese grater status, I can’t imagine how bad the US made models that are supposedly worse must be.

The most noticeable thing is the play in the elevation turret, it has .05 mil of play so when you’re dialing up it basically goes half way to the next mark on the turret than what your actually on, you rotate back a little and can feel the detent. It’s honestly pretty bad and I would describe as very sloppy. Other than that the elevation feels nice, great tension, feel of the clicks, and audibility. If it wasn’t for the slop that’s on the extreme side I’d give it a 10/10 but the slop is bad enough I’d say it’s a 5/10.

The windage turret is stiff and mushy at the same time and almost non audible and you can barely feel the clicks. If I was going to put the external knob on I would care but I don’t dial wind so as long as it tracks to zero it I couldn’t care less what it feels like. Some people are very picky about their windage turrets but I’m not. If it cost twice what it did then I’d expect it to be better. It did come with the extra windage turret.

The parallax is stiff but not as stiff as the other sample I used. It’s acceptable but could be better. It’s not smooth at all when turning it and feels different throughout its revolution. The illumination knob cap sticking out beside it is like a circular saw blade. Really dumb design.

The magnification ring isn’t too stiff, I’d say just a little stiffer than just right so it’s not bad as far as that goes and better than the other sample I used which was very stiff. It’s pretty rough though. It feels almost gritty when turning it and it’s not an even tension throughout the range, it gets easier and stiffer as your turn it much like the parallax. I’ve worked it a good bit thinking maybe grease needed to be dispersed around in the erector but it hasn’t made a difference.

Overall for what I paid it’s not bad so far. This thing absolutely is not on par with a MK5, NX8, ATACR though that they constantly get compared to other than having a nice eyebox and maybe the glass being close (definitely not superior). On every sample of those mentioned optics I’ve used they have all had great feeling turrets with no play, proper tension on the controls and were smooth.

I’ll be shooting it tomorrow at the local range and will have it at a 1000 yard range in the next couple weeks to see how it tracks and how the glass holds up through mirage and heat and how the DOF is. I’ll update this thread with any problems and periodic updates at probably the 6 month and 1 year mark. I plan to keep this thing long term to see how it holds up to see if it has better reliability than the other Phillipino optics that I’ve had which has been pretty disappointing.
    Cool when we going to Manatee

I'm being serious, and not being a smartass... Just wanted to preface this...

In reference to the turret being 0.05 MIL off, I noticed that on several of mine, the distance from the zero stop to the first click is very close. But I found that when resetting the turret, if I pushed continuous downward pressure on the turret and kept it twisted tight up against the ZS pin as I tightened down the set screws, it took all that away.

Not sure if it will help with yours, just thought I'd throw that out there, as I noticed that on mine, because the XTR turrets have a very high suction inside of them. You notice this when you unscrew the set screws, and the turret pops up on its own. None of my other brand scopes do this, but all my XTR's do. Which is why I thought I'd mention the continued pressure while tightening the screws. It helped mine, and I haven't had an issue since I started doing that on them.

I'm being serious, and not being a smartass... Just wanted to preface this...

In reference to the turret being 0.05 MIL off, I noticed that on several of mine, the distance from the zero stop to the first click is very close. But I found that when resetting the turret, if I pushed continuous downward pressure on the turret and kept it twisted tight up against the ZS pin as I tightened down the set screws, it took all that away.

Not sure if it will help with yours, just thought I'd throw that out there, as I noticed that on mine, because the XTR turrets have a very high suction inside of them. You notice this when you unscrew the set screws, and the turret pops up on its own. None of my other brand scopes do this, but all my XTR's do. Which is why I thought I'd mention the continued pressure while tightening the screws. It helped mine, and I haven't had an issue since I started doing that on them.

Would it help to remove just one of the turret set screws before locking the turret down? That should prevent the pressure build up.

Two will hold it until you reinstall the third one.

Thanks for the quick assessment southern biker ;) I have yet to grab a Philippine made XTR IIIi but would like to at some point when the time is right. Your comments on the knurling remind me of the US made XTR III which someone coined as being "dragon scales" a while back and it's stuck with me, because that knurling feels like it will rip your skin off. I had both a US made 3.3-18 and 5.5-30 and the 5.5-30 had "easier" controls but still a bit tight. That is my biggest gripe with these scopes; however, at the current price point I am not going to complain, especially now that they have illumination. For there current price point there is not much that can compete when it comes to the optical performance - glass, edge to edge clarity, FOV and mag range all make for what I think is one of the best price:performance ratios on the market. For $1k street (sometimes less) I just don't see much competition here, Leupold Mark 4 may provide some but as previously mentioned at the cost of FOV but different things matter to all of us so it's great we have these choices. The PST was mentioned above, I am quite surprised that Vortex has taken so long to come out with a PST III line especially when Burris released their XTR III in 2018, if Vortex came out with a PST III line with improved glass and price point around $1k I think we'd finally have some competition here, but until that happens I don't see much that will change the XTR IIIi being one of the better values at its current price.

For what I paid I’ll say I’m not disappointed in the optic so far, it has both some good and bad attributes. If I paid normal MAP and this is what showed up I’d be sending it back without a doubt. At that price there are LOW optics that are better built. The point of this is to get an optic that was in the price point I was looking for to put on a 22 trainer and also compare it to some of the optics that it’s constantly compared to and touted as the best thing below $2K by some fanboys.

Reactions: TheBigCountry

Your plusses and minuses mirror my likes and complaints on my XTR III, with the exceptions of the excessive mush and play in the turrets...I'm not sure what happened to yours. Mine aren't tier 1 perfect at all, but I have zero issues knowing what I'm dialed to.

I definitely wouldn't compare the III to retail $2K optics, but it is one of the best IMO in the next step down. The reliability and repeatability in mine has been perfect too (just not my Pro 😄). Oh well, the warranty service is so far an excellent experience.

The Pro is another step up in glass quality, and (again) IMO is even with about the best you'll find in a sub $2,500 optic - minus possibly the G3 Razor...I'm really waiting to do a head-to-head once my fix/replacement comes in.

I'm going to avoid the inevitable drama by skipping the rest of the posts.

Hope yours works out for you man.

My xtr3 3-18 was a refurb. It had the turret play where the whole thing wiggled a tenth.
    IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg

BUT when I clamped it down and looked at tracking that wiggle produced no observable shifting in the crosshairs or sight picture. So it’s strictly an tactile feel thing.

I also didn’t think the image duality was as nice as others had purported and I was lead to believe. Worse than the xrs2, cronus and razorg3(by far).

BUT at my place I shoot elevated across a creek and when fog rolls it’s basically through a cloud. Couldn’t hardly discern the 500 yard targets with the xrs2, cronus, razorg3 however the Burris gave a pretty phenomenal view through the fog when all the others were struggling. Don’t really get how but it did. Really made me reevaluate what part of image quality is really most important. Seeing the target all of the time being most important and it did that surprisingly well.

I think for under 1k it’s still maybe the best value going. Not as refined as many make it out to be but perfectly shootable.
    (I do want to grind the knurling down flat though)

Holy shit, a tenth is A LOT. I guess I should consider myself lucky then with half of that.

I did reset it so that the play is on both sides of the marking so it’s .025 on each side basically and doesn’t make it as difficult to use. Not ideal to have that much play. It apparently could be worse.

I find it ironic that my initial feedback was invalidated by the fluffer for being biased against Burris yet several people have posted in here saying their XTR3’s have the same issues as mine. I guess we’re all wrong.

Last edited:
    Mine isnt the space between clicks, its the whole top module is sorta loose or something and the entire assembly shifts a bit. But it doesnt move anything internally that I can tell. You can see that the turret line to the base line stays good. But the base line to my pencil line on the body that rotates 1%

• Wow
    Reactions: Glassaholic
    The shaft is basically just a big ass screw that moves the internals up and down or left and right and then the detent is a secondary mechanism to make the clicks audible and felt. It's probably just not moving it enough to really notice it or its falling back into place. Regardless, it doesn't speak well to good build quality.

To the OP-

Let me know when you decide it doesn’t live up to the hype and want to offload it for only 10% depreciation. Surely you’ll be happy to only lose 10% on a NEW scope that doesn’t live up to the hype???

I’ll be waiting patiently-

The turret isn’t .05mil off, the turret has .05mil of play in every click. There’s a big difference. Once again the village idiot is clueless.
    You know what, I was trying to be helpful, but now, you can go fuck yourself. You just showed everyone on this forum how how petty of a retarded piece of shit you actually are with your half-witted bullshit biased review attempt.

I really feel sorry for everyone who knows you in person…I’m sure they all roll their eyes at your undeserved self-righteous ego and narcissism, and laugh at you behind your back.

Reactions: Pomyluy
    I’ll mail you mine if you want. You will provide an unbiased opinion I feel confident. Even then though it’s a sample of one. That being said, I’m very happy with it for the $950 I paid and $1400 for my Pro. I sold my 5.5-30 to try the pro. It’s was a great scope. Eyebox not bad under 25x where I normally use it. Realistically under 20x. FOV awesome.

You know what, I was trying to be helpful, but now, you can go fuck yourself. You just showed everyone on this forum how how petty of a retarded piece of shit you actually are with your half-witted bullshit biased review attempt.

I really feel sorry for everyone who knows you in person…I’m sure they all roll their eyes at your undeserved self-righteous ego and narcissism, and laugh at you behind your back.

You can’t understand the difference between having play in the turret and the turret cap not being set right and replied trying to help when you can’t even comprehend the problem, that gets pointed out to you, and you respond with this but I’m the narcissist with the ego. You might want to check yourself.

• Haha
    Reactions: FuhQ
    I may be revealing myself as a rube with this comment, but lots of people with this scope in the thread.

I've always had trouble setting zero with this optic. If I have the elevation knob at 0 and need to bring it down say .3 mil I would dial up to .7 then loosen set screws, slip turret to 1.0, then try to dial back down to zero. But almost every time the turret will only dial down anywhere from maybe .2 - .5 mil. To fix this I would loosen the set screws again, re-tighten and get a few more 10ths of a mil, and keep working it down to zero eventually.

It works, but there has to be a better way right? I think maybe the turret cap it bottoming out on the body of the scope, is that a thing?

I actually ended up cancelling the order and going with a different optic because the SKU I ordered wasn’t going to be delivered for several months. I’ll have a MK5 3.6-18 and NX8 2.5-20 shortly for comparison though.

If you went through me on a 4.5-18 it would have been delivered today ;)

First range update at the top in the second reply for anyone who cares.

I may be revealing myself as a rube with this comment, but lots of people with this scope in the thread.

I've always had trouble setting zero with this optic. If I have the elevation knob at 0 and need to bring it down say .3 mil I would dial up to .7 then loosen set screws, slip turret to 1.0, then try to dial back down to zero. But almost every time the turret will only dial down anywhere from maybe .2 - .5 mil. To fix this I would loosen the set screws again, re-tighten and get a few more 10ths of a mil, and keep working it down to zero eventually.

It works, but there has to be a better way right? I think maybe the turret cap it bottoming out on the body of the scope, is that a thing?

You can pull the turret completely off and put a coin in the top of the shaft and zero it that way and then just reinstall the turret against the zero stop pin. I pulled the turret earlier this morning to see what it looked like in there after a dipshit in another thread was talking about the MK5 being a POS for having the same feature. See pic below for reference.

If you went through me on a 4.5-18 it would have been delivered today ;)

I had ordered a 6-24 PR2 but might try a 4.5-18 PR2. Let me know if you get any open box specials.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.jpeg
      IMG_0619.jpeg
      314.3 KB · Views: 110
    First range update at the top in the second reply for anyone who cares.

You can pull the turret completely off and put a coin in the top of the shaft and zero it that way and then just reinstall the turret against the zero stop pin. I pulled the turret earlier this morning to see what it looked like in there after a dipshit in another thread was talking about the MK5 being a POS for having the same feature. See pic below for reference.

I had ordered a 6-24 PR2 but might try a 4.5-18 PR2. Let me know if you get any open box specials.

We have them on order and I sent you a PM! -Richard

Reactions: redneckbmxer24
    Link to the vendor selling XTR3s for $800 shipped would be neat.

My buddy had a Burris scope, one of the budget models and I kinda laughed at him, then I looked through it and the glass was really good, especially in low light.

I’d bite on an XTR3 or a Pro for the right price to try out.

I’m interested in what you think of it. I had a XTR3i 3.3-18, have an XTR3 5.5-30, an XTR Pro 5.5-30 and a Mk5 7-35. I haven’t shot them yet, my action just came in and I’ll pick one or two of them to keep.

My experience of the XTR’s is probably best summed up like this: the glass, reticles, illum and eyebox on all of them is really really good for the price, and the controls vary widely between all of them and are generally a sub-par experience.

My XTR3, known for bad parallax, has somewhat stiff but not bad parallax. It has a little mush on the there’s but not nearly as bad as yours. But they’re pretty dang stiff and very rough on the hands if you’re dialing multiple shots.

My XTR3i had better turrets but was still just ok.

My XTR Pro has the worst controls I think I’ve ever felt. I think the previous owner got this thing really dirty or something because I’ve never felt such rough/stiff controls and I don’t think this scope came this way. The glass is awesome, the design and size of the controls is awesome. I think this will be a great scope if I can get the knobs to spin like they should.

The Mk5 doesn’t have the same FOV as the others but it feels really good and has pretty low tension on the parallax. The parallax knob also wobbles. It has great turrets/clicks and a different kind of feel to it than the XTR’s. The XTR’s are more tense and snappy between intervals and the Mk5 is more light/smooth between clicks. That will just come down to preference.

I’ll get to try them out this weekend and see what I like.
    Have you removed the elevation turret cover. My xtr3 had a really stiff elevation turret. I removed it and there was some stuff under it that resembled lapping compound or aluminum dust. I cleaned it out and the stiff turret resolved. I just pulled the cap off my other xtr3 yesterday and it had some stuff up in the turret that I could only compare to waxy bubble gum. This went to burris for internal fogging. And came back from warranty service with tool marks on the ring that holds the objective lens in also.

I also noticed if I push down on the turret when rezeroing the turret cover. It will push on the ring below it attached to the scope body and the turrets are stiff for the first 3 or 5 mils or so.