• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So I build a Porsche.............

Stache

Forklift certified
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2020
Wisconsin
I work for a not to be named tool company in Milwaukee, WI. I was recently tasked with making a replica of a Porshe 911 GT3 as a going away present for an exec at work. I am not an artist, shit I can barely write my own name legibly, so how the hell was I going to make this?
iris.jpg

There's a catch of course. I was to use material and components that we use in the manufacturing of our accessories, and finished products to do it.
That would be the band we use to make hole saws, sawzall blades, and what not. I started with big pictures that I scaled to make a rough mock up out of modeling clay. Didn't take a picture of course. These are the tools I used:
IMG_2502 (1).JPG

Note: I had to buy a new anvil in the middle of this because I beat a hole in the cheap Harbor Freight one we use for light shit in the tool room.
IMG_2503 (1).JPG

Worked out a frame of some kind with some hole saws and bar stock. Fresh band was used to shape wheel wells and 5/16" rod was used to for the roof frame.
ACLL8972.JPG

Sawsall band made up the bumpers along with porta band blade and OMT blades that I cut and welded as the skirting.
From there I spent the next 14 days pounding the ever living shit out of cold d6a shaping the farings, fenders, doors, hood, on and on and so forth....
This was some orn'ry metal. The second you gave it heat it durned hard af and there was no more shaping it. It just cracked and split as soon as you hit it. Another neat thing is that you could shrink it but not stretch it. Any where I stretched it, it tore and split.
But anyway, here's the finished deal.
IMG_2471.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

I think it turned out killer considering it was all done without a planishing hammer or english wheel.
Thoughts?

I work for a not to be named tool company in Milwaukee, WI. I was recently tasked with making a replica of a Porshe 911 GT3 as a going away present for an exec at work. I am not an artist, shit I can barely write my own name legibly, so how the hell was I going to make this?
View attachment 7800940
There's a catch of course. I was to use material and components that we use in the manufacturing of our accessories, and finished products to do it.
That would be the band we use to make hole saws, sawzall blades, and what not. I started with big pictures that I scaled to make a rough mock up out of modeling clay. Didn't take a picture of course. These are the tools I used:
View attachment 7800954
Note: I had to buy a new anvil in the middle of this because I beat a hole in the cheap Harbor Freight one we use for light shit in the tool room.
View attachment 7800960
Worked out a frame of some kind with some hole saws and bar stock. Fresh band was used to shape wheel wells and 5/16" rod was used to for the roof frame.
View attachment 7800950
Sawsall band made up the bumpers along with porta band blade and OMT blades that I cut and welded as the skirting.
From there I spent the next 14 days pounding the ever living shit out of cold d6a shaping the farings, fenders, doors, hood, on and on and so forth....
This was some orn'ry metal. The second you gave it heat it durned hard af and there was no more shaping it. It just cracked and split as soon as you hit it. Another neat thing is that you could shrink it but not stretch it. Any where I stretched it, it tore and split.
View attachment 7800974

View attachment 7800975
View attachment 7800976
I think it turned out killer considering it was all done without a planishing hammer or english wheel.
Thoughts?
As a fanatical model maker and miniaturist, I can say you hit it out of the park!!!

Very cool!!! Beautiful work!!!

Sirhr

Absolutely freaking awesome!

I guarantee that will be on his desk, or displayed prominantly in his library, man cave, or some place important for the rest of his life. Very, very cool. I’ll bet he gets choked up when its presented. If not, I guarantee he’ll cry his eyes out that night looking at it.

Most of the stuff I received over a 33-year career is now packed away in boxes or in a chest somewhere, but there are a few things that stood out…something like this would rank up there at the top.

Well done.

Seriously man…very well done.

i-mb9xV7r.gif

…now do a Cayman! LOL

i-8VWzx9M.jpg

Very cool. It should be obvious to anyone that a great deal of thought, time and effort went into this. Looks fantastic.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
View attachment 7800940
View attachment 7800954
View attachment 7800960
View attachment 7800950
View attachment 7800974

View attachment 7800975
View attachment 7800976
Thoughts?
Fucking awesome. Kind of think a bit of paint would have helped with the welding marks, but wow...that really is awesome.

Hope he likes it.

I don’t know what a planishing hammer or and English wheel is, but yes, you are correct, it definitely turned out killer. I would be proud to have that sitting on display in my house, and your exec will too. Very nice job Stache.

That’s awesome, job well done. Could you do one of these next? It’d be much easier, it’s essentially a box on wheels

1644069772250.jpeg

I’m only half joking…

Reactions: Stache
Fucking awesome. Kind of think a bit of paint would have helped with the welding marks, but wow...that really is awesome.

Hope he likes it.
I was definitely thinking that but they wanted it to have the heat discoloration and exposed welds. I couldn’t help but wonder what it would look like with some filler and proper body work 🤔

• Love
Reactions: Baron23
Mad metal working skills..... but does it run .........:ROFLMAO:

OUTSTANDING work! You are very skilled and creative. Job well done!

Great workmanship and vision. Using "what you had to work with" and it still looks great.

Congrats!

I thought about that but I had about 100 hours into it. Not sure someone would pay 3k for one lol!

in your spare time, make another one, make each unique'ish, but just make one more for now
go to a porche forum and post it up for $5000 as "art"

I would be shocked if at least one didn't sell

Them fenders took some time for sure. Don't show that to anyone else......the hobby then becomes a job, :ROFLMAO:

Threw a few "art" pieces in my hardware store and now I'm the freakin local welder.

I want that fab table!

Reactions: Stache
That's fricking awesome! I bet you could get some Porsche enthusiasts to pay good money for one!

How many hours do you think you have into building it? Not the design work, just fab work.