• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns So I considered a shotgun for my wife, WTF is this?

Maxduty

Quae Moriatur
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2014
    Oklahoma

From Academy's website. It's a Yildiz .410. Is that barrel compromised in front of the chamber? When you scroll over the pic of the action, it looks as though there are actually 2 cracks in the barrel. Is their quality really that poor?

Attachments

• 1552713398816.png
      1552713398816.png
      40.8 KB · Views: 92
    That doesn't look like a crack so much as a seam? I swear it looks like flashing from some casting technique like lost wax.

But who the fuck makes shotguns out of cast material? WTF is a "Yildz" anyway?

You know you can find decent single shot scatterguns at any local gun store for probably $50-$100, right? I'd just go that route, and have in the past actually.

I'd like to get her one of the new Savage .410 turkey guns, but no one seems to have them in stock. They all have them listed and on sale, but no actual inventory. So I decided to peruse the firearms they list as in stock and found this gem.

Gross.

Try a trade in or new 870. You can find replacement 870 barrels all day, easy to break down and cerakote if you ever wanted to. Might be a little hefty for a shorter gal, though.

Like someone already mentioned, the Stevens 12G/410 is also another option. I've held one and got to check it out, didn't seem bad at all for the money. Bit lighter than an 870, as well.

It looks like, to simplify manufacturing, they did not build the chambered barrel as a unit, but rather attached the barrel to the chamber/action assembly. The bluing discoloration would seem to indicate it was heated and welded after being either pressed or threaded together. They probably all look like that with some having worse discoloration than others.

Well, it is a wood and blued steel shotgun that costs less than $130 at full price. Turkey is not a third world backwater and does make decent firearms. Something has to give when a gun can come halfway across the world and still make money for all parties involved at $130.

Do you want to adopt a son, father or grandfather? I can be one of those...

Just laying that out there. ?

Hey I'm with you. We need a sugar-momma.

Hahaha just to be clear that's not mine. Just some random one I found. They go up in price from there ?

Reactions: lash
    These are pretty good for the price:

!

They also make a .410 with walnut stock for around $750.

Us boys bought one of the walnut stocked .410 pumps for our Dad for his 80th birthday. It replaced one that was stolen back in the ‘70s. We all grew up using that one to harvest squirrels and rabbits for the stew pot back in the day.

Reactions: HogsLife
    I gave my wife a PS90, she's not afraid of it, and shoots it well. Everything else, was painful to watch her shoot, like watching someone hold an M67 with the pin removed. Plus, she doesn't have to worry so much about reloads.

I didn't see a use so let me ask why .410? In shotguns sports that gauge is for people that like to be frustrated by the small shot charge. .410 ammunition is hard to find in every flavor and expensive. 20 gauge shells are everywhere, can be found in all flavors (bird, buck, slug) and are relatively cheap. 20 gauge shotguns have little recoil and there are lots of good used 20 gauge shotguns available. Just sayin.

I didn't see a use so let me ask why .410? In shotguns sports that gauge is for people that like to be frustrated by the small shot charge. .410 ammunition is hard to find in every flavor and expensive. 20 gauge shells are everywhere, can be found in all flavors (bird, buck, slug) and are relatively cheap. 20 gauge shotguns have little recoil and there are lots of good used 20 gauge shotguns available. Just sayin.

I personally chose a .410 because my 11 year old daughter weighs about 55lbs soaking wet and wanted her to enjoy shooting. Not get kicked so hard she never wants to shoot again. Yes, .410 ammo can be expensive and difficult to find, but it’s plently good for learning, and will kill a rabbit without issue. Plus an O/U IMO is the best to train youngsters on because they’re simple. Not a lot going on with an O/U. I learned on one when I was her age and so did my dad. When she gets more comfortable and packs on a few more pounds, I’ll upgrade her to a 20 gauge auto.

She’ll have this shotgun forever so it’ll be good trainer for the grandkids to when that day comes along.

Last edited:
    Maybe some shitty mock-up that’s not an actual firearm?

Good 410’s for general critter shooting. 870 wingmaster! I’d buy a well cared for OLD mossberg 500, the new ones are shit. Old Stevens 22/410 O/U.

An O/U or SxS 410 for bird is nice, especially for quail. That should be for experts, not recoil sensitive learners.

Maybe some shitty mock-up that’s not an actual firearm?

Good 410’s for general critter shooting. 870 wingmaster! I’d buy a well cared for OLD mossberg 500, the new ones are shit. Old Stevens 22/410 O/U.

An O/U or SxS 410 for bird is nice, especially for quail. That should be for experts, not recoil sensitive learners.

I’m gonna have to disagree with a .410 O/U not being suitable for learners and the recoils sensitive. I would tend to agree with you when speaking in regards to an O/U in 12 / 20 gauge, but not a .410. I think it’s perfect for those exact scenarios. Negligent recoil, and extremely easy for a learner. Auto loaders definetly have less felt recoil, but are can be overly complicated IMO for someone learning. O/U are simple to operate. My 70 lb 11 year ol daughter and my 9 year old daughter both handle it well. I learned on one at their age and moved up to a 20 gauge when I got a little older. That’s just been my experience.

Why do you hate your wife so much as to consider even buying her that thing?

I almost said that myself!

Tell that to my Great Granny. She shot everything under the sun with her old double barrel beater (probably made prior to modern arms) and even drew down on the DEA in the 80's when they rappeled out of a helicopter into her huge flower bed thinking they could see marijuana! Fucking idiots and their drug war. She was a tough old woman and drank straight 100 proof vodka until she died at damn near 80.

I’m gonna have to disagree with a .410 O/U not being suitable for learners and the recoils sensitive. I would tend to agree with you when speaking in regards to an O/U in 12 / 20 gauge, but not a .410. I think it’s perfect for those exact scenarios. Negligent recoil, and extremely easy for a learner. Auto loaders definetly have less felt recoil, but are can be overly complicated IMO for someone learning. O/U are simple to operate. My 70 lb 11 year ol daughter and my 9 year old daughter both handle it well. I learned on one at their age and moved up to a 20 gauge when I got a little older. That’s just been my experience.

My comment was more along the lines of wing or clay shooting. I haven’t made it there yet. I can swat a released quail pretty easy with a 410, but wild birds or dove I’m more of a 28ga shooter, at best. Probably more of a 20ga shooter if I’m being completely honest with myself. If we’re talking 3” #4 vs the tree rats, then that is about the perfect starting shotgun.

My comment was more along the lines of wing or clay shooting. I haven’t made it there yet. I can swat a released quail pretty easy with a 410, but wild birds or dove I’m more of a 28ga shooter, at best. Probably more of a 20ga shooter if I’m being completely honest with myself. If we’re talking 3” #4 vs the tree rats, then that is about the perfect starting shotgun.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, definetly wouldn’t be my choice for anything really more than learning, hunting rabbits, squirrels etc. and you’re exactly right, if you’re gonna be quail / dove wild bird hunting, shooting trap, etc then yeah, you better be damn good if you plan on being even remotely successful with a .410.

As a teen, I shot a pheasant once with the .410. It took off, flushed when we were crossing a field for rabbits, and I automatically drew up and shot, forgetting that I only had the .410. Bird went down, but I had to wring its neck to finish it. I felt bad for not making a clean kill and wouldn’t do that again.

.410 just doesn’t have what it takes for larger birds, unless you really get in a good clean headshot.

Last edited:
    A .410 is always the wrong choice. More so for a youth or beginner. Nothing to recommend it in any way. The thought of passing it along to grandkids later is mutigenerational abuse of the as yet unborn.

My first shotgun was a single shot .410. Get her a 20 gauge. Or, hell, a 28 gauge.

I have a Yildiz 20 ga over/under shotgun. Yildiz is Turkish and imported exclusively by Academy Sports. Their service center is Briley manufacturing, right here in Houston. The stocks on the Yildiz guns I have seen make American guns look like firewood. Looks good, light weight, points well, and Briley interchangeable chokes. The price is right too. I'm not sure what's going on with the OPs gun, but the Yildiz guns I have seen are not blued, they are black chrome plated.

I'm away from the house right now but will add a pic of the same area from ours when I get home.

A .410 is always the wrong choice. More so for a youth or beginner. Nothing to recommend it in any way. The thought of passing it along to grandkids later is mutigenerational abuse of the as yet unborn.

?? whatever you say bud...

You break whoever you want out on whatever you want.

I broke out on a 60year old single shot .410. The same .410 my dad and uncles broke out on. Worked perfectly for learning and killed plenty of rabbits and squirrels with it. Was I slaying quail and dove with it? No I wasn’t, but by the time I was proficient enough to do that, I had moved onto a 20 gauge.

My daughters both broke out on .410’s. The results are the same. Have yet to find something better, and again, I’m not about to spend 1k or more on Semi-Auto shotgun that they will both outgrow in a year or 2. .410’s have their purpose.

That being said, if My daughters were a little older or if I was buying for my wife, it would be a 20 gauge Semi Auto or O/U for sure.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash
    Did not realize you were shooting ground game with a shotgun. Undoubtedly will work there.

Did not realize you were shooting ground game with a shotgun. Undoubtedly will work there.

Yes sir.

I will agree with you 100% that a .410 is less than ideal for birds unless you’re ground slucing them from within 15’ lol

Reactions: RTH1800
    I started my kids on youth model 20 gauge pumps. Picked up a mossberge youth for my daughter and it came with a long peice of dowel for a plug so you can control how many rounds can be loaded by trimming it. Put a limsaver pad on it, filled the butt with lead shot, bought some 3/4oz Fiocchi training loads that were about 1000 fps and she did great with it. Found that I could duplicate it with one of the clays powders, so she shot those for a few seasons. I picked up an extra full turkey choke, some 1-5/16 oz 6's, and some bolt on rifled sights and she shot a turkey at 35 yards with it. I sighted it in so she wouldn't know what was coming when she touched off a turkey load. She wasn't real happy with the recoil, but she was with the results.

I had triplet boys after her and I borrowed another Mossberg, bought a used 870 express youth and put better recoil pads on all the guns. I didn't load the lite loads for the boys, so they had to get used to the recoil with dove loads. They shot everything from dove to geese. The mossberg is a great house gun with birdshot followed by #4 buck.

I have two 410's, a sxs Savage full/full, and a 870 wingmaster vent rib IC. I shot them when I had neck surgery in mid August 2015 and wasn't supposed to shoot. Picked up 1/2oz 2-1/2" 8's and had at the doves. If you can kill dove with a 410, a 12 gauge seems like cheating!

My daughter steals my 391 when she hunts and I revert back to a 1940's Ithaca 37.

Attachments

• phone pics 2-20-17 093.JPG
      phone pics 2-20-17 093.JPG
      480.3 KB · Views: 47
    • phone pics 2-20-17 095.JPG
      phone pics 2-20-17 095.JPG
      606.5 KB · Views: 55
    • phone pics 2-20-17 087.JPG
      phone pics 2-20-17 087.JPG
      537.4 KB · Views: 56
    Last edited:
    My first shotgun was a single shot .410. Get her a 20 gauge. Or, hell, a 28 gauge.

I have a Yildiz 20 ga over/under shotgun. Yildiz is Turkish and imported exclusively by Academy Sports. Their service center is Briley manufacturing, right here in Houston. The stocks on the Yildiz guns I have seen make American guns look like firewood. Looks good, light weight, points well, and Briley interchangeable chokes. The price is right too. I'm not sure what's going on with the OPs gun, but the Yildiz guns I have seen are not blued, they are black chrome plated.

I'm away from the house right now but will add a pic of the same area from ours when I get home.

I know 3 different people who i shoot with that have Yildiz shotguns. on 4 separate occasions, 2 of them had to use either my personal gun or backup gun as their yildiz failed in a very mild, 50 shot sporting clay round. Anything from broken extractors, stuck shells that had to be hammered out of the chamber, broken selectors and firing pins, etc.

To their credit, every time they have gone back with their complete piece of garbage shotgun, Academy directly hands them a brand new, hot piece of garbage shotgun. "T" has taken his back 3 times. "J" has taken his back 2 times. and "S" has taken his back 3 times. **

**NOTE: Names have been changed to protect the garbage-shotgun loving innocent.

If you want to have a $450 o/u shotgun that doesnt get used much and has a high probability of taking a crap on you when you do use it, with the caveat that you have a no-nonsense return-exchange warranty, then the Yildiz is your gun. Trying to help remedy and fix these guns as they literally become inoperable in front of me, i wouldnt own one if it was a gift. YMMV.

She already has a 20 guage 1100LW. Unfortunately, it only safely shoots 2 3/4 shells and manufacturers have stopped production of suitable turkey rounds in that size. She likes the .410s and is interested (I think) in the Savage turkey gun, but they are currently made from almostunobtanium. For reference, here's the one she'd like to have

some of you are killing me. What’s the velocity on a 12 gauge pellet? On a 20? 16? 28? 410? Pretty much all the same.

I think what you are missing here, is shot size that matters. You have to look for 410 with a larger shot size, and you’ll pay for it. Same same with a 28. I’ve killed a fuckton of birds with my 28, and the 28 and 410 shoot about the same size payload. Use larger shot in your small gauges, and they get it done.

kid’s gun? Woman’s gun? How about an GENTLEMAN’s gun? I can’t even begin to tell you how many people told me and my second wife that our 28 gauges weren’t going to do very well at the trap range. It was her, me, her stepdad, and two of his buddies that were lifelong shooters, one of which writes for an outdoor magazine. Julie had shot informal birds a couple of times with her 28, but that is it. I broke the most birds, she hit a couple less than me, and the other 3 shooters (all shooting 12 gauges) came in way behind us.
    Gents, this is a case of “it’s the indian, not the arrow”. The sub gauges will get it done if you do it right.

Reactions: RTH1800 and lash
    some of you are killing me. What’s the velocity on a 12 gauge pellet? On a 20? 16? 28? 410? Pretty much all the same.

I think what you are missing here, is shot size that matters. You have to look for 410 with a larger shot size, and you’ll pay for it. Same same with a 28. I’ve killed a fuckton of birds with my 28, and the 28 and 410 shoot about the same size payload. Use larger shot in your small gauges, and they get it done.

kid’s gun? Woman’s gun? How about an GENTLEMAN’s gun? I can’t even begin to tell you how many people told me and my second wife that our 28 gauges weren’t going to do very well at the trap range. It was her, me, her stepdad, and two of his buddies that were lifelong shooters, one of which writes for an outdoor magazine. Julie had shot informal birds a couple of times with her 28, but that is it. I broke the most birds, she hit a couple less than me, and the other 3 shooters (all shooting 12 gauges) came in way behind us.
    Gents, this is a case of “it’s the indian, not the arrow”. The sub gauges will get it done if you do it right.
    Yep.

Reactions: lash and HogsLife
    And i’ll do you one more....less pellets to pick out of your birds.

Another thing....turkey hunters. They make my shit lumpy. Acting like you have to shoot a cannon to bring a bird down. My nephew has killed two nice toms shooting a 20 gauge BPS with #4 shot....he is 11.
    This shit has got you fired up!

Not so much.....shaking my head a bit though.

Had a guy at the last gun show come through....guy was a chiropractor or however the fuck you spell it. Anyhow, his mom and his wife were standing with me and my girlfriend (and flirting with me, according to the GF) and he comes over and has to start running his mouth like the world revolves around him (He very rudely interupted his wife). Was blathering something about wanting a 12 gauge double chambered for 3 1/2.....i told him the same thing about my nephew; that he is 11 and drops them with a 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge.

people get sold hype and just buy it. Then you get a guy that askes a legit question about a gun for his wife/kid and you get guys spouting the same shit; which is doing the guy, his wife, and his kid a huge disservice.

dont under estimate a 410, a 28, or a 20. Match it with the right size shot, and you can do a lot more than most folks think.

Last edited:
    Not so much.....shaking my head a bit though.

Had a guy at the last gun show come through....guy was a chiropractor or however the fuck you spell it. Anyhow, his mom and his wife were standing with me and my girlfriend (and flirting with me, according to the GF) and he comes over and has to start running his mouth like the world revolves around him (He very rudely interupted his wife). Was blathering something about wanting a 12 gauge double chambered for 3 1/2.....i told him the same thing about my nephew; that he is 11 and drops them with a 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge.

people get sold hype and just buy it. Then you get a guy that askes a legit question about a gun for his wife/kid and you get guys spouting the same shit; which is doing the guy, his wife, and his kid a huge disservice.

dont under estimate a 410, a 28, or a 20. Match it with the right size shot, and you can do a lot more than most folks think.
    Kinda like saying a .38 Special or a .380ACP is inadequate for self defense. They wouldn’t be my first pick personally, but they would work just fine for the role.

Do you want to adopt a son, father or grandfather? I can be one of those...

Just laying that out there. ?
    Hell if we are going to go there, Get her a set of Holland and Hollands. Actually, you can just buy her a Range Rover outfitted with a pair of then in a wooden presentation case. Its only a little over 200 K.
    For your convenience, the website is:

P.S.: I too am looking for grandparents. :p

PSS: Thanks for being a sport and putting up with some ribbing.

On a serious note, any 20 with screw in chokes would be a good choice. you can vary the pattern that way based on what you want to shoot. I am partial to Browning or Remington.

I bought a yildez semi 12 ga to get me by till I could find a good deal on a berreta. Since that time I have shot about 1000 rounds of light loads, shooting trap and doves with out a single failure. I am still going to buy a better shoutgun one of these days but I’m not in any hurry. On gauge choice to each his own but I agree 20ga makes the most since due to price and availability, but there is nothing wrong with a .410 either if you can afford it

There's no way around the fact that more shot equals denser pattern and easier to break or kill. I can kill a dove further with 1 1/8 oz 7.5 from an 12ga IC than I can with 3/4 oz 7.5 from a 28ga mod.

There's no way around the fact that more shot equals denser pattern and easier to break or kill. I can kill a dove further with 1 1/8 oz 7.5 from an 12ga IC than I can with 3/4 oz 7.5 from a 28ga mod.

might as well use a 10 gauge then.

again, i’ve beat the pants off a whole lot of people shooting 12 gauges using my 28 gauge; after they scoffed at the puny little 28. my second wife, who had very limited experience wingshooting, beat 3 seasoned hunters who had YEARS worth of experience under their belts.
    the smaller gauges allow you to do things that most folks overlook. 98% of people out there dont get it, and are unwilling to try it. point is, there is a lot to be offered from a 410 or a 28; and it’s overlooked by far too many people.

Most of my wing shooting is with a 28ga citori. I just know it's a lot easier to kill a bird with 1.25oz of shot.