• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing so i have.this old gun.

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
san jose ca
My dad gave me his older 7mm RM. It's a huskavarna H-5000 and based on the 98 mouser action. I have permission to change out the stock and barral. So my question is what can I do to this to make it shoot. It will have a break. I have to go see a Dr. Tomorrow to have my shoulder put back in place after about 40 rounds.
Looking for options I know what to do if it was a REM 700 but it ain't.

Re: so i have.this old gun.

I've had several over the years and they are nice actions. Not a topflight LR accuracy gun, but a good hunting piece. If you are going to brake it, you can use any of the Mag based cases, except you'll be limited by action length to standard, not Weatherby .300 length cartridges. Hard to beat the 7 Mag. Why not just put a brake on the barrel you have, change out the stock to what you want and work up some loads?

Re: so i have.this old gun.

It's a pencil barral. Looking to go to maybe a senderro contour. Going to be working up a load for the tube on it now. It's a 1:9 twist. Thanking eather some 162Amax or some 175smk