• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

So I melonited my 308 barrel...

EROCO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
600 rounds through the barrel and I am only seeing .002 of throat wear and..

* the cold bore\clean bore shot is not much different at all from the warm 50 rounds plus through the barrel

* I am shooting primarily 208 AMAX with 47.7 gr of RL17 @ 2700 fps on a 27", 1 in 10 PACNOR barrel

* I shot some 175 SMK today with 44.7 RL15 and this is the result

1f5e99e5.jpg

Very happy so far..

Re: So I melonited my 308 barrel...

Cool. How many rounds through before you melonited? Who did the melonite? I'm sending a barrel next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. How many rounds through before you melonited? Who did the melonite? I'm sending a barrel next week. </div></div>

I put 30 rounds through, cleaning after every few rounds.

I also removed all the copper before turning it in..

Also, the .002 wear could've been the bullet as I am seeing as much as .003 variance in ogive from bullet to bullet.

Looking through a borescope I see no heat damage from the throat whatsoever..

Oh, by the way melonite was done by Burlington engineering @ Orange, CA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about velocity? </div></div>

+1!!!

Tomorrow is my barrel breakin day. Chrono will be with me, but only God knows if it'll work... I hope it does, but if it doesn't, I aint waiting for another say...I need to get the barrel sent off soon!

Good question. I chrono'd the first 30'rounds out of the batch of 50 I made.

After the melonite I would say I lost about 25 FPS ave. I more than made up for that with more powder, hence 47.7 of RL 17 and still no pressure signs but great accuracy.

Most people see an increase in velocity after having a barrel nitrided, (melonite). The process makes the surface of the barrel harder which in turn slickens the barrel. I don`t know why you lost velocity, you might need to increase powder charge since you are not getting any pressure signs.

2 reasons for a velocity change: first, if treating or plating builds up surface thickness the bullets will be a tighter squeeze fit and your pressure and velocity will rise. On the other hand if the coating or surface treatment increases lubricity it will take less pressure to push a bullet down the bore and you will need to increase your powder charge to get where you were before treatment (as you would if you moly-coat bullets).

I've read both sides. Some people claim velocity loss, some gains.

I definitely did lose velocity, not much but it was a lost nonetheless..