• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So... I need one like I need a hole in the head... But... opinions?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So a handful of these have come on the market... these are USMC Recon/Special Ops 1911's.

32efd89d-a31f-47cd-b127-ffee9f3b29e4.jpg

They are USMC marked. M45A1 Colt's. $1350.

I can't imagine that these aren't a good investment. U.S. stamped. NM barrels. CQBP spec. Carried by USMC Spec. ops. in Afghanistan.

This has to be a pistol worth owning...

Cheers,

Sirhr

It might or might not be a good investment, but I want to shoot it! Is that wrong?

No... I think that's the spirit!

Colt sells these as 'civilian' models, not U.S. marked, not USMC marked... for about $1600. There are a bunch of CQBP's on Gunbroker. But this comes with a DoD release letter and is all authentic...

About 10 years ago, I had a chance to buy one of the ex USMC Barrets from Desert Storm. $10K I thought that 2500 was just too much of a premium (over price of a new one) for an ex USMC with a letter. Well, I wish I had one now, because if you can find one, they are about $20k. Sort of like authentic M40's and the like. Provenance is everything.

What the heck... and I won't feel bad about shooting it!

If any of you are Gunbroker Gold members (or you can join gold 'on the spot' there are 22 of them left. My guess is they'll be gone in an hour.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/631174121

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: ForgeValley
I think you made a great purchase! Completely jealous right now. And to think the seller is only 30 minutes from me. Wish I could get over there just to fondle a few.

You did well sirh! You 1911 snob, you. In this case it's merely just being in the right place at the right time. Getting on the bandwagon while the parade is still in town is the right thing to do. Look at the M40 and to a lesser degree, the M24, and how much they bring now. Pretty much $300 Rem 700's that were used at a time and place that mattered. And, that's why they bring what they do.

It might or might not be a good investment, but I want to shoot it! Is that wrong?

Maybe something is wrong with me but, I don't ever kid myself when buying a new gun. The word investment never even enters my mind. Its not even within a 100 miles. I know that I'm going to use it for it intended purpose and things happen even when trying to take care of ones possessions. That gun sir, looks like someone already did that for you or its just a stock photo. So shoot on brother!!!!!!

Great snag. And I've been on GB for at least 15 years, how I have I never heard of or been solicited for Gold? What is that and how does it work? I tried to get information on it thru the site and just got a blank page. As broke as I am the last thing I need is them sending me deals like this one. What's one more 1911 I may never get around to shooting?

EDIT: it took some navigating but I finally found the details on Gold. Thanks for making me aware of it. I wish I'd known about it back when I had the means to be irresponsible.

Last edited:
Well Sir H, I hope you are right, because thanks to you, I bought one. Hell, I might have bought two, still trying to figure that one out! While trying to buy one I encountered a myriad of error messages and after repeatedly trying, ended up with two. I've since contacted GB and the dealer to let them know I only want one.
hPoRMjat.jpg

Last edited:
I don't understand the problem. If you want it, and can afford it why not. Life is too short to think back and wish you bought this or that.

I keep hearing the word "NEED". You don't need this or that. Why do you need this gun or that gun.

This is America. Slaves get what they NEED, freemen get what they WANT.

I have a man cave and a shop full of stuff that makes some shake their heads. I've bought some weird stuff over they years. I don't care what people like or what they figure I have no use or NEED for.

I don't live my life for others. I'm old, my kids are grown and doing well on their own. I die my wife (who is super supportive of my kinks) will get my pensions. She'll not have to wont for anything so I tend on living my remaining years buying what I want.

Being Army though it probably wont be a Marine pistol, but you can bet it will be something else. Some think I might have a hole in my head but at least I don't have holes (or empty spaces) in my gun safes.

Damn, I don't know whether to curse you or thank you for posting this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you didnt buy it for an investment but look what return stocks have done since they were first introduced.

Colt is going through a period of liquidation again. They have laid off the entire custom shop that makes the hand fitted civilian versions of these things. Some very talented smiths are looking for work. The one that was over at 1911.com headed the shop and gave all the inside scoop about what was the particulars of the MEU/SOC guns.

The mil guns are not as tightly fitted as the civilian guns nor would you want them to be.

The USMC had problems with the cerakote finish and these likely were traded in for the new finish guns. Im guessing along with the gunsmiths Colt is milking the cash that these guns will bring. Anyone that gets one is getting a good buy.

Well Sir H, I hope you are right, because thanks to you, I bought one. Hell, I might have bought two, still trying to figure that one out! While trying to buy one I encountered a myriad of error messages and after repeatedly trying, ended up with two. I've since contacted GB and the dealer to let them know I only want one.
hPoRMjat.jpg

If they ship you two let me know Ill pay you for it and send you my FFLs license to ship on.

PM

There were two versions sold on civilian market by Colt, from what I have read. A full-up custom-shop job that was $3500 and was all hand-fitted. And the standard one that retailed for 1999, but market priced at 1600... and was identical to the MARSOC version. And was looser, as you said.

I heard there were also some frame-cracking problems with pistols that got fired over 150K rounds. But that seems odd, as 1911's are pretty robust. Maybe its a +P ammo of some kind?

Interesting about the Cerokote... my assumption was that the wear was likely caused by gritty gloves doing endless dry fire, clearing drills and lots of rounds on the ranges. After a pretty short time, gloves absorb enough grit and sand to be like sandpaper! And in dusty climates, so do the outsides of weapons. So I am not sure what coating could stand that kind of abrasion on a daily basis. Cero is reputed to be tough stuff... but constant abrasion is going to remove it, period.

The USMC didn't trade them for new Colt's... they dropped the 1911 in Nov. 2016. Going with 9mm Glocks.... And I think that is after only 2 years in service. IIRC, the Colt's CQBP was adopted in 2014 and some 3500 were made and acquired by USMC. I suspect that there are a lot of PO'd Marines over that... then again, I loved my duty Glock .40's and they were reliable as gravity and accurate as all getup. And while I love collecting and shooting 1911's, I'd happily stake my life on a Glock any day. Though I would prefer a .40 or .10 or .45 vs. a 9mm.

I will post a range report when it comes in. I want to compare it to my 'old reliable' Gold Cup National Match... Which is a hard pistol to beat!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Kraig, your logic is indisputable. Need has nothing to do with it. I wanted it!

PM

There were two versions sold on civilian market by Colt, from what I have read. A full-up custom-shop job that was $3500 and was all hand-fitted. And the standard one that retailed for 1999, but market priced at 1600... and was identical to the MARSOC version. And was looser, as you said.

I heard there were also some frame-cracking problems with pistols that got fired over 150K rounds. But that seems odd, as 1911's are pretty robust. Maybe its a +P ammo of some kind?

Interesting about the Cerokote... my assumption was that the wear was likely caused by gritty gloves doing endless dry fire, clearing drills and lots of rounds on the ranges. After a pretty short time, gloves absorb enough grit and sand to be like sandpaper! And in dusty climates, so do the outsides of weapons. So I am not sure what coating could stand that kind of abrasion on a daily basis. Cero is reputed to be tough stuff... but constant abrasion is going to remove it, period.

The USMC didn't trade them for new Colt's... they dropped the 1911 in Nov. 2016. Going with 9mm Glocks.... And I think that is after only 2 years in service. IIRC, the Colt's CQBP was adopted in 2014 and some 3500 were made and acquired by USMC. I suspect that there are a lot of PO'd Marines over that... then again, I loved my duty Glock .40's and they were reliable as gravity and accurate as all getup. And while I love collecting and shooting 1911's, I'd happily stake my life on a Glock any day. Though I would prefer a .40 or .10 or .45 vs. a 9mm.

I will post a range report when it comes in. I want to compare it to my 'old reliable' Gold Cup National Match... Which is a hard pistol to beat!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Kraig, your logic is indisputable. Need has nothing to do with it. I wanted it!

They had some blue box versions and the full blown custom that came in a pelican style case. What I saw more of at the 1911Forum was the Pelican case custom. Not so many blue box guns.

A year or three ago the USMC told Colt no more USMC on the slides. The USMC trademarked all their logos back about the time digicams were coming out and there are royalties to be paid for using their logos. The royalties go to morale and welfare funds for active/wounded Marines. As of 2017 any gear bearing the USMC logo must be made in USA. Im looking forward to getting a new P41 utility jacket once the made in the USA ones come out, probably the first ones since WWII to be made here. They make great barn, fishing, hiking coats....

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/product_p/usujp41.htm

or maybe a P42

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/product_p/usujp42.htm

1911s if they crack will usually be at the area of the slide lock/link pin. One reason to make sure the link is fitted correctly. In WWII the spot heat treated that area and others. I recall reading about the CQB there may also have been an issue with how the front slide serrations were cut creating a weak point just where the slide meets the dust cover and there is a thin area created by the front serrations.

The cerakote guns were having issues and they came up with the browner decobond coating. A party at Badger Ord mentioned the cerakote was not just an external coating but they used it on internal surfaces and as it wore it gummed up the operation of the guns. The people using them didnt appreciate that. The external wear was not the issue as much as the internal wear/operation problems it created.

I dont imagine the Marines are too upset as long as they got a gun that works. Im not a Glock fan but there is no denying the Glock works. As far as 9mm goes we are going full circle again. The new ammo is being touted as wonder ammo. My jobs has gone from 9mm to .40 and now sits at .45 but I am getting the vibes that 9mm and maybe something with the numbers 320 may be on the horizon.

Please when you get the pistol do a tear down confirm what I have "heard".

Here is a big thread I havent read all of but you new owners may find of interest....

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=468875

i mean in all fairness...an M40 and M24 are not $300 Rem700s.....the cost of a "theatre used" M24 is more or less the same as the list price of a new M24...

the M40s do have a little more mystique....and parts do demand a higher premium......im guessing because you cant just go out and buy an M40 like you can an M24.

I think you missed the point, M24's and M40's are Remington 700's. It's the fact they were modified slightly and then served where they did, in the hands of those trained to make optimal use of them. The latter part is WHY they are so valuable. If you had read and understood my previous post, you would see you you took a portion of one of my sentences out of context.

Am I wrong or were some of the CMP M24 (or maybe M40?) rifles with a USMC and/or Army provenance selling a few months ago for something in the $10k to $20k range? I seem to recall that we had a thread in the Vintage Section on Scout where we were following some CMP rifles that were stratospheric in their selling prices on the civilian marksman auction site.

I think Sand's point is that a used Remington action as a standalone is a pretty cheap item. Put the customization around it and, more importantly in the collector market, military and battlefield provenance around it, and the price goes up exponentially. The difference is not in the mechanicals... Remington actions are, for all intents and purposes, dirt cheap. So it's in the work done to them, a few new roll stamps... and often just a letter saying 'yes, this was issued to a snipery kind of guy.' Suddenly what would be just another deer rifle is a coveted collector piece.

As I mentioned above, the handful of ex USMC M82's from Desert Storm that got released (I think there were 20 of them)... now sell for $20K plus if you can find one. A few years ago, they were half that and, at the time, still $2500 more than a NIB Barrett. And right now, 'new' M82's are currently not even selling for list price... as demand has dropped off since November.

Similarly, look at WW2 pieces with letters or battlefield 'bring back' paperwork. Amazing the difference in price on the collector or auction market.

Battlefield provenance, whether on an M82, a Garand or an M40 (or a MARSOC) ... just gets collectors excited these days.

But to your post, Cameron, if there are M24's with field provenance out there for $2800... , I think that's a very realistic price... if not somewhat cheap (assuming they were not totally ragged out.) Just because the cost of replicating one of those rifles, even without military lineage, would be at least that.

Cheers,

Sirhr

There was one CMP M40 that went for a price in the $35K range. That didnt include a greenie scope and it may have been an Air Force Rifle. Nothing against flyboys but the USMC stuff generally gets a premium.

Completed CMP auction for an M40 Barreled action only....$15,756.99...and this was was for a USAF gun with an unknown barrel (could be a plus or could be a minus, price wise)...so 15K for an action.
M40 Sniper Rifle Barreled Action 6257239
Listing # 3296
Bidder or Seller? Sign in for your status.
Listing Format:Auction
Current price :$15,756.99
Starting bid:$1.00
# of bids:67
Closes:Auction is closed
Started:12/21/2015
Ended:1/2/2016 12:16:30 AM
Seller:cmp4
View this user's other listings
High Bidder(s):CMPUser9910
M40 Sniper Rifle Barreled Action 6257239
M40 Sniper rifle Barreled action. This barreled action is serial number 6257239, and may have been an USAF rifle.
Short action Remington M700, clip slotted and US marked. This barreled action appears to have been rebarrelled since the barrel does not have the typical Remington proof marks/stamps on the left side of the barrel, and has a recessed crown. ME=1. Barrel is chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO. Bolt is serialized to the action, and has good headspace.
This barreled action is in very nice condition with an even green parkerized finish. This barreled action was received from DOD with a lot of other miscellaneous rifles.
This barreled action would be a great basis for an M40 build. Please see all pictures for details before bidding.

See CMP’s other current Bolt Action auctions
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/cmpauction.thecmp.org\/uploaded\/2014-8-28\/__e0b7c0d32D61782D437d2Da2342Dcd04b3e48627DSC5F0011.JPG"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/cmpauction.thecmp.org\/uploaded\/2014-8-28\/be9ef6d72D321c2D4fbb2Db9e92D35d8a83279beDSC5F0009.JPG"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
There are a few more in the CMP archives. One was in a paper wrap with a scope of some sort but it wasnt a green redfield. They only opened it enough to read the serial number. The $35K rilfe had a stock with it. The USMC 40's are in a specific 6 digit range plus or minus 200 some odd thousand. I think a lot of the CMP guns are 7 digit. The army also has a few M40 rifles.

The M40 was built at Remington. It probably didnt undergo any truing but the receiver was cut for bullet relief at the front bridge and it was clip slotted and had a thumb relief at the rear. Remington followed a blue print for the receiver work.

The M40A1 was built at RTE/PWS on Quantico. The first ones were made using M40 receivers (6 digit) and later C and E prefix receiver replaced the out of service 6 digits. Most of the receiver work was already done on the recycled M40s The USMC re-engineered the Winchester Model 70 trigger guard and floor plate (Remington wouldnt supply a metal trigger guard, if they had they probably would have built the whole rifle). They trued up the receivers, modified the lug with a taper, welded the mag box to the reciever, spun up and crowned the Atkinsson, Hart, Schneider Barrels, Cut a notch in the Remington trigger to fit with the Model 70 BM, and initially the stocks they got from McMillan were not inletted at all so the USMC did the inletting on the fibergalss smear stocks. A member at the M40 Forum has one of those NOS smears and its a neat piece to see.

Buffalo I replied to your visitor message, Too bad I didnt get in touch earlier. Thank you for replying to me.

Mccameron,

You did miss my point. The cost of producing an M24/40 is no where near what they bring on the open market. As shown by Buffalo and pmclaine.

The value of these is what I used as an example of the value seen by our friend sirhr, who purchased a USMC 1911. Contrary to it just being a "cost", these handguns are a special version that was carried by our troops. That is the real value. A point that translates into a growing monetary value based on those who are lucky enough to posses that limited inventory in history in their own inventory for a while.

Again, think "in context".

Last edited:
I'm an owner now.

They released more today.

The new ones were advertised as new in the box so they wont have that Marine Raider DNA embedded in them but having been in the Marines and knowing the source of that DNA that may be bio haz concerns preferred.

Speculation is value wise the pistols showing wear have the coolest appeal, than the decom NIB, than the USMC marked civ versions, than the M45A1 marked civ versions.

These are a great piece of history I'm happy to own and wouldn't have had the chance to do so if Sir and another online person afflicted with our gun illness had not contacted me.

There is hope for this world when guys are willing to call other guys and help them buy guns!

It was pure luck that I happened to check e-mail... And the are all sold. By my calculation, they sold the whole inventory in 30 minutes.

But the guys on the 1911 forum were all going "I'm going to buy 10 of these" in their discussion groups. I think a few may have been bloviating... but not all!

Glad you got one! We need an 'I'll show you mine..." comparison when they start arriving.

Cheers,

Sirhr

1911 Forum reorts they were buying them in double digit lots.

I had just finished PTing, looked at my phone by chance, saw the red flashing light figured it was my wife telling me the kids soccor was cancelled but saw it wasn't a number I recognized, called it was Ryan he told me the guns were up, I had Gunbroker up on my computer while Ryan (Thank you) was on the phone hit buy with 3 left in inventory and the inventory went to zero when the congratulations screen went up.

Sirhr your call came as soon as I made the deal. Thank you.

Ive received confirms my transaction went through. I expect a wait there has been some grousing about slow service on the 1911 Forum but I guess its to be expected the way these are selling.

One of my coworkers was MARSOC/Raider if I have him shoot it, maybe sleep with it, maybe give a signed soiled field sock as COA will my NIB have the cool factor of the used guns you guys got?

I have an all-original, 80% finish,1947 C-prefix Colt Government Model I would trade for one in a heartbeat.

I have an all-original, 80% finish,1947 C-prefix Colt Government Model I would trade for one in a heartbeat.

If I had bought two you might be light one 1947 C prefix. Those are some beautiful pistols.

When it comes to 1911's I dont think any era beats the 1920 to just pre war guns. First thing I notice is the round boss that circles the magazine release button. On those 1920s guns more often than not the radius of that frame area had an equal arc all the way around. Later guns especially the 70s the arc of that radius stops, changes and becomes something other than perfectly round. Dont know why they lost that level of detail.

If I had bought two you might be light one 1947 C prefix. Those are some beautiful pistols.

When it comes to 1911's I dont think any era beats the 1920 to just pre war guns. First thing I notice is the round boss that circles the magazine release button. On those 1920s guns more often than not the radius of that frame area had an equal arc all the way around. Later guns especially the 70s the arc of that radius stops, changes and becomes something other than perfectly round. Dont know why they lost that level of detail.

Yes, the earlier Colts were beauties but this early post-war is awfully nice. A good friend has C500 and shot it regularly! I have C224469 (1947) and C152685 (1928) which I inherited from my dad. 2685 was tuned by Bob Chow back in the late 50s, was stolen and recovered sans match barrel, Bomar sights (slide recut for Novak :(), grip safety was replaced with MIM junk, thumb safety was non-functional and the finish was removed. It's currently at a former Kimber smith getting redone.

Pics of 4469:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i682.photobucket.com\/albums\/vv190\/nukemmc\/20170403_185534_zpshvzb2jmm.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i682.photobucket.com\/albums\/vv190\/nukemmc\/20170403_185523_zpslfvpwted.jpg"}[/IMG2]

So a handful of these have come on the market... these are USMC Recon/Special Ops 1911's.

I can't imagine that these aren't a good investment. U.S. stamped. NM barrels. CQBP spec. Carried by USMC Spec. ops. in Afghanistan.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sure doesn't look like a vintage snipe rifle but I could be wrong

but I'm not

It ain't.... but the guys around here in Vintage appreciate heritage and the finer things in life. If I posted this elsewhere, I might get suggestions to put on Pachmeyers, give it a coat of Krylon and put a Sooper Sniper Scope on it. Around here, we crazy vintage iron fanatics see things a little differently... Besides, it could have been carried by, say, an old-ish 0311 gunny or something? That makes it vintage and snipery enough, for this place?

Cheers and have a great evening!

Sirhr

That would be an "old-ish 0372 Gunny or something". 0311 might have been his beginning MOS though.

I think these will become something people eagerly seek and will be sought for a long time.

I hope the CMP hasnt been watching this and thinks there 1911A1s will sell in this rare-ified atmosphere.

Id like to pick up two Colt frames when the CMP sells (So Mote it Trump Be) one to pack my mil surp .22 conversion top and the other to make into the progenitor of theses a MEUSOC Mod 0.

but I'm not

How about this accounting of the use of a 1911 during VietNam at ranges out to 100+yds:

A Navy SEAL Team was returning from a mission over North Vietnam in a chopper when it got hit pretty bad. The pilot and one crew member were killed and the copilot was wounded. Going into autorotation, the copilot managed to set the chopper down in a clearing. After landing, a few rounds of enemy fire were starting to come in. Seems the M60s were also damaged beyond use by the crash landing and initial RPG hit, the only M16 fell out on the way down.

The only firearms left was M1911s.The remaining crew member was carrying a match conditioned M1911 and had a few boxes of ammo. As more enemy small arms fire started coming in, the copilot and crew member also noted that the VC were coming out of the jungle and approaching them; shooting as they came. The crew member took out his .45 and took careful aim as he shot at each attacking VC. About 30 minutes later it was all over. Between reloading magazines and radioing for rescue, the copilot was pretty busy, but a rescue chopper finally arrived on the scene.

As the rescue chopper came in and landed, its crew noticed a lot of dead VC laying around. The downed helo’s remaining crew were picked up and on their way out, they counted the dead VC; 37 in all. Their distances from the downed helo were from 3 to about 150 yards; all shot by the crew member with his M1911 .45 ACP. About 80 rounds were fired by Petty Officer R.J. Thomas, a member of the USN Rifle and Pistol Team.

Petty Officer Thomas was recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor, but by the time the recommendation got all the way up through the chain of command, the recognition was reduced to the Navy Cross.

Another accounting is linked.

CDR Thomas was shooting with the Navy the same time I was. Some accounts say the pistol he used was his match-conditioned 1911. Regardless, it's about as close to using a 1911 as a "sniper" weapon as you can get.

Another .45 ACP sniper in the Counter Sniper role....

Col. Walter Walsh was a true American hero. Born in 1907, Walsh would not only be one of the early FBI agents during the turbulent 1930’s, he personally captured Doc Barker, son of the infamous Ma Barker. He also found time to take part in the National Matches shooting both rifle and pistol. While serving with the FBI, Walsh’s favored sidearm was Smith & Wesson’s .357 Magnum. He also carried this gun with him as a Marine in WWII; however he used his personal 1911 Government Model .45 to take out a Japanese sniper at 90 yards.
https://gunsmagazine.com/that-little-guy/

and

')
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/logo.png"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/BannerAdHannibal.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/folders3.png"}[/IMG2]of the week. con carne. store. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/tabSpades.png"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/arttop.png"}[/IMG2]
Walter Walsh
05.09.2014 624477319177
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/label.jpg"}[/IMG2]
It was a sunny, cool New England morning on October 12, 1937, when notable bastard and all-around evil scumbag Clarence Lee Shaffer Jr. walked through the front door of Dakin’s Sporting Goods, a small outdoor shop on the main street of Bangor, Maine. Pulling his coat about him and adjusting his sweet gangster-style pre-hipster fedora hat, Shaffer calmly informed the ordinary-looking store clerk that he’d placed an order for three Thompson submachine guns a few weeks earlier, and that he was here to pick them up.
Clarence Lee Shaffer was a member of the notorious Brady Gang – a hellacious, murder-tastic gang of convicted felons who had spent the previous two years wreaking havoc on the law-abiding citizens of Indiana in an epic crime spree that makes even the most mayhem-infused multiplayer GTA V games look like a couple of idiot teenagers pulling the mattress tag off a fucking Sealy Posturepedic at the goddamn mall. They’d stolen those awesome-as-hell gangster cars with the backwards doors, and drove away with dudes standing on the running boards spraying bullets arbitrarily into orphanages and old folks’ homes. They’d robbed nearly two hundred banks, knocked over a few convenience stores, roughed up politicians, and murdered a half-dozen people. The three men of the Brady Gang, already listed as Public Enemy Number One by the FBI, had been caught by Indiana lawmen in 1936, but all this did was piss them off – screaming “fuck the police” these guys fought their way out of prison, killed a guard, then set an ambush for the cops who tried to track them down and ended up shooting two officers in the gun battle.
Now these guys were on the lam, and they were trying to buy full-auto submachine guns from some random store in the middle of Maine.
Shaffer looked around impatiently as the mild-mannered store clerk looked around for the order. The clerk asked Shaffer to come around to see if he could see it, but then – completely out of nowhere – as soon as Shaffer was off-guard the clerk suddenly flipped his shit over to Ultimate Badass Mode, grabbed the ex-con by the arm, slapped a pair of handcuffs on him, and hauled him down to the ground with a sweet-as-hell takedown. The gangster shouted for help, but before he could cause too much noise a second clerk came up to assist, grabbing Shaffer and pulling him back towards the back of the store.
The store clerk stood up to his full height, and commandingly identified himself as Special Agent Walter Walsh, Federal Bureau of Investigation. Turning from his quarry, the g-man quickly spun on his heel to try and see if he could get a visual on either of the other murderous killers of the infamous Brady Gang.
The second he turned around, Special Agent Walsh’s eyes met with those of a vicious-looking man in a gray fedora, giving him a death stare through the glass door of Dakin’s Sporting Goods. It was Brady Gang member James Dalhover – a spree-killing psycho with an excellent view of his good buddy Clarence Lee Shaffer being dragged into police custody by a pair of flatfoot coppers.
For a split-second, neither man moved. When they did, it was like a pair of goddamn gunslinging lightning bolts striking a nuclear reactor at the same fucking time.
With the precision and speed that only comes from decades of hardcore dedication, FBI Agent Walter Walsh quick-drew not one but two pistols simultaneously – a Colt .45 and a .357 Magnum – dove to the side in slow motion like some kind of crazy Max Payne / John Woo shit, and opened fire on the mass-murdering bank-robbing maniac standing less than five feet away from him. Dalhover, a Capone-era hardened killer, drew his piece as well, opening fire with a spray of .45s.
Walsh took one in the hand and one in the shoulder, blood shooting from his wounds, but his bullets found their mark – Dalhover was riddled with slugs and dead before he hit the pavement. Walsh hit the ground, sprung back up, and stepped through the shattered glass front door into the street, where yet another danger presented itself – the Brady Gang leader himself, Al Brady, taking cover behind a sweet-ass old car, reaching in the back seat for his pistol.
Walsh stormed out of the building, pistols blazing. Brady leaned over the car , firing his pistol, driving another round into Walsh’s chest. The FBI man staggered back, regained his footing, and drilled Brady with a couple ultra-accurate shots straight to the dome.
The entire thing had lasted seconds. When the smoke cleared, Walter Walsh was still standing tall, and every member of the FBI’s Most Wanted gang was either dead by his hand or being hauled off to prison.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/images\/624477319177\/walterwalsh4.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Actual crime scene.​

Walter Walsh was born in 1907 in Hoboken, New Jersey. He’d started shooting at 12, when his dad bought him a .22-caliber Mossberg to shoot rats around the family home, and once that got a little too easy for him Walsh got really good at shooting clothespins off the laundry line in his backyard. At 16 he lied about his age to join the New Jersey National Guard, and within just a few years the eagle-eyed lefty was winning national competitions for rifle and pistol marksmanship.
After getting a Law degree from Rutgers while still in the Guard (he was smart as well as capable of shooting a wart off your balls from three hundred yards), 27-year-old Walter Walsh decided to join the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1934. It was the first year FBI Agents were allowed to carry guns, and in their search for good marksmen to join their ranks the FBI found a dude who could bulls-eye moving targets at 75 yards with dual-wielded pistols. Dude was so fucking good that some of his co-workers at the Bureau used to joke that they’d trust him to shoot a cigarette out of their mouths like a badass influenza-hating William Tell.

Working an FBI beat wasn’t exactly fun fucking times during the Great Depression, when Public Enemy outlaws like Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, and Pretty Boy Floyd were running around the highways and byways of the United States hosing assholes down with fully-automatic machine guns and double-barrel shotguns. Quickly rising to the ranks of the top agents, Walsh was responsible for tracking down bank robbers, cold-blooded murders, Mafiosi, and other horrible people that were far more likely to whip out a BAR and start smoking Feds than they were to walk backwards slowly with their hands behind their heads.
Luckily for the FBI, Walter Walsh was damn good at his job. In 1934 he tracked down the final resting place of Baby Face Nelson. In ’35 he was driving around the murder-soaked blood-drenched streets of Chicagoland when he spotted the dangerous outlaw Doc Barker, a hatchetman for the Barker Gang. Walsh slammed on the brakes of his car, jumped out, and sprinted down the street after Doc. The gangster started running, but Walsh ran him down, jammed a .45 in his face, and did what was probably the first-ever recitation of the “Do you feel lucky punk?” speech. Doc surrendered, was hauled off to Alcatraz, and later that same fucking day Walter Walsh got in a shootout with a hardened gangster known as “Slim Gray” Gibson. Walsh’s only description of the gunfight was this: “He shot high. I didn’t.”
In his decade of service to the FBI, Walsh is credited with killing between 11 and 17 gangsters in shootouts.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/images\/624477319177\/walterwalsh6.jpg"}[/IMG2]​

Special Agent Walsh served in the FBI from 1934 to 1942, when he took a temporary leave of absence to join the fucking United States Marine Corps and fight in World War II. The Marines assigned the 35-year-old G-Man to teach USMC marksmen at Sniper School in New York, but after a couple years doing that he decided that there wasn’t enough terrifying live-fire combat in his life so he requested a fucking transfer to the goddamned front lines of World War II.
The Marines sent him to Okinawa in 1945.
Walsh landed on the beach with the Marines, fought his way through the outer defenses, and then was part of a team that found itself pinned down by a hardcore Japanese sniper hiding in a tunnel fortification a little more than 80 yards from the Marines’ position.
Walsh popped his head up once, got a visual on the sniper, calmly pulled out his Colt 1911, stood up, and dropped the fucking sniper with one shot from his pistol.
Noscope, bitches.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/images\/624477319177\/walterwalsh7a.JPG"}[/IMG2]​

Walter Walsh returned home after the war, went into the Marine Corps reserve, and started entering shooting competitions. He set the world record at U.S. Nationals by nearly getting a perfect score in pistol marksmanship, won dozens of military, government, and civilian shooting competitions, finished 12[SUP]th[/SUP] in the 1948 Summer Olympics, and captained the U.S. National Team at the International Shooting Championship in 1952 (which the U.S. won), and at the Munich Olympics in 1972. Even though he didn’t participate in any further Olympics (though he still won shooting competitions well into his 90s), he coached the U.S. Olympic shooting team until he retired in the year 2000. At the age of 92 fucking years old.
Oh yeah, and even though he retired from the FBI he continued training Marines, and was a teacher at the Marine Sniper School that got sharpshooters like Carlos Hathcock ready to serve on the front lines of the Vietnam War. He retired with the rank of Colonel in 1970.
So let’s recap for a second. Law graduate Walter Walsh of Hoboken, New Jersey, was a championship Olympic marksman, the FBI agent who single-handedly brought Public Enemy Number One to gunfire-infused justice in an epic shootout, a U.S. Marine who saved his entire squad from murderous snipers at Okinawa, a Vietnam Sniper School marksmanship instructor, and the 92-year-old coach of the United States Olympic Shooting Team.
Somehow, despite being under constant danger and almost always surrounded by loaded firearms – many of which were being used by antagonists in life-fire combat situations – Walter Walsh somehow led a long, full, productive life that had more adventure in a 24 hour span that most regular humans will ever experience in their entire lives.
He died last week at the age of 106.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/images\/624477319177\/walterwalsh9.jpg"}[/IMG2]​
ArchiveExtras[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/emailben1.png"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/arrowleftsm.png"}[/IMG2]Prev follow BEN [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/facebook.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/twitter.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/rss.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Next[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/arrowrightsm.png"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/artbot.png"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/frame.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/images\/624477319177\/walterwalsh.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/clip2.png"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.badassoftheweek.com\/bottom.jpg"}[/IMG2]
HomeOf the weekComicArchivesAboutStore

© Badass of the Week 2012. All Rights Reserved. Design by Backroom Productions,

Last edited:
pmclaine,

Thanks for posting that!! A great read. The adjective/adverb/profanity laced epitaph;) was a profound tribute to the man.:D

but I'm not

Here in "Vintage" we also include all things that go along with a sniper. It's not like this is going to go anywhere in "Sidearms and knives" It's basically a relic now. But a fine one. That's why it's posted here.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i346.photobucket.com\/albums\/p414\/nied0044\/DSC01357_zpsmgvalwii.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i346.photobucket.com\/albums\/p414\/nied0044\/Colt%20M45A1%20factory%20letter_zpsnxqzlv9b.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:

Cheers,

Sirhr

There is a reason that the USMC dumped these. One of our trainers is recently retired from the USMC (Marsoc) and could not not say enough bad things about these handguns. They were jamomatics and the guys using them were screaming to get rid of them at the first chance they got.

They are crap handguns.

Don't be fooled by the prancing pony and the myth of the 1911.

Ams.... I don't doubt it! I heard that the Cerokote on the rails caused problems. And that there were real issues with these failing. Frame cracking, too.

I'm not owning it because it's the most reliable gun ever made, but because it seems to me that it is a rarity with an amazing recent "in my lifetime" history. You may denigrate the prancing pony, but from an historical perspective, that is exactly what makes these interesting.

By way of personal opinion... I "LOVE" 1911's. I have lots of them. And love to shoot them and appreciate their history and heritage. But when it comes to staking my life on a gun (which I did for 13 years), I'll take a Glock any day. The 1911 may be a gun to fondle and collect and revere by candle-light, but when it comes down to a daily carry pistol, I'll go with the advice my instructor at the academy gave us: "Your favorite gun is the one your department issued you." Truer words have never been spoken.

I still love my Gold Cup NM with ivories.. which I carry a lot. But mostly, I rely on a plastic, off-the-rack, mundane, un-lovable Glock 27 in retirement. It will go bang every time. And hit right where I point it. No drama. No 'for the millenia' quality, either. But it does the job. Tactical tupperware.

Anyway, your comments are really welcome. Because they add to the lore and the 'reality' behind these. Many in the collector community are very happy that 1911's are still issued. While the reality is that, perhaps, there are better options out there. And I don't take exception to anyone who removes the word "Perhaps." But that doesn't make me want one of these any less. Because it is a bit of history. And an investment. Which may be the wrong reason to get one. But I did, nonetheless.

Still waiting for mine to arrive, BTW.

Cheers and thanks for the great comments!

Sirhr

Ive seen some with a blue stripe on the grip safety. Im sure the significance of that will become known. Skateboard tape Marine knew what he was doing. Each one has a story and provides clues.

I wonder what will happen with the Ionbond guns that likely replaced these. Im guessing all will be phased out in time. I hope they dont end up as material support to the ANA or INA like some M40A1s did. Hopefully CMP will get a hold of them.

Last edited:
Third one Ive seen with a blue stripe on the grip safety. Im sure the significance of that will become known.

Interesting and good catch...

I have heard that there were some problems/complaints about the grip safety.

Could this indicate that it had been disabled?

Anything about this on the 1911 forum?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Interesting and good catch...

I have heard that there were some problems/complaints about the grip safety.

Could this indicate that it had been disabled?

Anything about this on the 1911 forum?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Im thinking more along the lines of a Unit/Team designator. Some other guns have a red sharpie stripe on the Main spring housing.

There is a party over at 1911 Forum opening up a web site dedicated to these. They have done a lot of sleuthing regards numbers for sale, contract number of guns, what might be for sale and speculating on price.

The neat thing about these is the users are still with us and they have memories fresh enough to educate us about what the various markings on them are.

With everyone posting there guns I wont be surprised if owners get contatced by previous users looking to buy. Wont be surprised if scammers also use that line trying to buy guns off owners.

Mine being new in the box I wont have that issue but instead my gun is like one of the toys on reject island that was never loved by one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children.

Anyone with an extra, or where to buy, who is selling, I am in. Former 4th force unit jarhead! Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Gunbroker is handling the sale of these. You will need to sign up for there $50 Gold Member service to be eligible to buy. Do this now if you are interested as there is a lag before your membership goes functional.

Once you are in the system they send an email to notify you they have released some.

When you get the email most likely, unless your name happens to be Aaaaaaaaaaasselton, they will all be sold.

Its believed volume buyers are just standing by refreshing their screens waiting for a release. If the past predicts the future expect a release Sunday or Monday. What helped me is some team play and I am willing to pay that forward.

or you can buy off the secondary market but that looks to be wallet painful.

I won one that I picked up a while back. You won't be disappointed. On a side note, these are still being produced. Instead of "USMC" stamped on it it says "Colt Government Model" but they still have the EGA serial numbers. A. Iffy picked one up off GB an it is identical to my M45 as far as shooting and parts. Still a worthy purchase non the less. You'll be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The civilian ones marked M45A1 may actually be built to a higher spec than the Mil ones as they were a product of the custom shop. A month or so ago Colt laid off the custom shop.

There are a few versions...

USMC roll mark, M45A1 roll mark, green pelican case, blue box perhaps more.

The only thing special about the Gunbroker guns is the COA that identifies it as a USMC decommissioned gun. That COA is all the value to guys that value such things.

Regards the USMC vs M45A1 marking.

I know the USMC told Colt to stop marking their civilian sales USMC. I thought that was related to USMC's trademarks and funding Marine rec and family services.

I have heard the change was across the board and included USMC guns also. Anyone see a Colt CQB marked M45A1 in service?

Last edited: