• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes so i now know how to range using reticle - next?

M14Msgt

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2009
Peoples Republik of CA
Ok, so I now know how to range a target using the military reticle. Now what? My scope is a IOR 2.5-10x42. How do I figure how many cliks to adjust using the two knobs? Yes, I am a newbie.

Re: so i now know how to range using reticle - next?

Do you have the scope mounted on a rifle and zeroed at some relatively short range, say 100 yards or meters?

If not, that's the next step.

If you have that done, then you'll want to start shooting at progressively longer distances, observing how much you have to adjust the scope to achieve point of impact at point of aim at those distances.

You might want to take a look at this link:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

Zero at 100 yards.

Shoot a group at 200 yards without moving the elevation knob. Measure the bullet drop, in inches, on the paper from point of aim to the center of the group. Divide by 2.094. The result is your actual bullet drop in MOA. Divide by 3.438 to convert the bullet drop to Mils.

Don't touch the elevation knob yet. Shoot a group at 300 yards using the same aiming point and measure again. Divide by 3.141. The result is your actual bullet drop in MOA at 300 with your 100 yard zero. Divide by 3.438 to covert to Mils.

Now you have your 200 and 300 yard dope, under the given conditions, with a 100 yard zero. Write it down. Now you can dial or hold for 200 and 300, your choice.

You can always do a zero at a range of your choice, then useing the retical do hold under/over for faster work. It just depends on the type of shooting your interested in doing, paper, steel, distance vs time. Dialing is OK, if you have the time.

What click value does your scope have? There are 3.438 MOA in 1 Mil. If your asking about ballistics try JBM Conversions. That should get you in the ball park for your various ranges. I don't think anything can get you dead on everytime as far as Ballistic computers go. I've heard that the Cheytac can but it's cheaper to shoot and learn than spend the cash for that. Here's two links for you.
http://www.mil-dot.com/Content%20Images/The_Derivation_of_the_Range_Estimation_Equations.pdf

http://www.jbmballistics.com/calculations/calculations.html

For me personally JBM has never been off by more than .2-.3 mils on my extended ranges. With that said go out zero at 100 then input your data into JBM then go out and fine tune it, the JBM come ups will be close if you put the info in right