• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns So I picked this up

ZackOwns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
jax fla
50p7de.jpg

Well two days ago I bought this baby. I love and couldnt be happier except that I bought a good ammount of critical defense ammo that wont feed for some reason. After I got it home I tried to chamber a round and as the slide road forward it seemed to push the round down and stopped the functioning of the slide. My first thought was maybe its bc the magazines suck that come with this pistol (it cycles fine with ball). Yesterday I went to the px to see if tbey sold mags by any chance and to my suprise they had chip and wilson mags so I bought one of each and headed to the range. I shot roughly 200 rounds of ball and then moved toward the critical degense and ran into the same issues again. If I try and rerack the slide a time or two it'll catch the round and chamber but I dont want to have to worry about this as this will be my carry gun. Can any of you give me your input on what round you prefer to carry for S/D?

Re: So I picked this up

Duty ammo is Winchester SXT. You probably need to polish your feed ramp. Any competent gunsmith could do this or if your inclined, there are how to videos on youtube and on the Brownells website. Good luck and have fun with your new pistol.

Don't "polish" the feed ramp. Send your gun back to Springfield and have them fix it under the warranty.

Options (some mentioned above)
1. Try different ammo - they are all good in .45 (easiest)
2. Polish the feed ramp. It's real easy.
3. If you don't mind the wait, send back to Springfield.

Ranger-T for duty/SD. Feeds in my 5" 1911s, Commander, down to an Officer's ACP with no problems.

Since it is a new weapon, don't mess with it - send it back to Springfield. Yeah, polishing a feed ramp is easy, but i've seen some "overzealous" polishing. Let Springfield resolve it for you.

Kevin

I agree with downzero. Send it back , and let Springfield know exactly whats been going on . They have one of the best customer service . Good luck

I just called and they were AWESOME to deal with. The cs rep did say if I had a chance before mailing it back to run a few hundered rounds down the pipe and that may fix it but they would take a look rsguardless. I was concidering having them fit a match barrel while its there. Have any of you used their match barrels and will I see much of a difference using a 4in barrel?

Thanks, Dub

My Sig .45 doesn't like certain rounds and they'll catch on the feed ramp and I wouldn't say its the pistols fault. I've found that with every pistol I've owned...there will be a cetain round that doesn't feed well. Look at it this way...you found one of those rounds on your first try.

I have the same problem with my combat commander, so I changed to "power ball" 185 grain ammo. Shot about 100 rounds so far with no malfunctions.

If you do send it back, be specific with them regarding what round gives you trouble. My TRP shoots round ball all day, if I put a jacketed hollow point in it, I have the same issue as you do. I have had to send guns back to Springfield before and they are great to work with. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a different .45... Period
Unless you don't mind if your side-arm fails you at the worst possible time. </div></div>Xactly. Its broken junk and he should just give it to me.

Call them up, they will take care of you and pay for shipping. Springfield has some of the best CS around.

As of friday I have 520 rounds down the tube. I picked up power ball and horenday custom and both functioned perfect so im most likely not going to be sending it back due to having issues with one round. I'm going to stick with the custom because I felt it was more consistant but thanks for all the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a different .45... Period
Unless you don't mind if your side-arm fails you at the worst possible time. </div></div>Xactly. Its broken junk and he should just give it to me. </div></div>

You are about to turn 60 so maybe for your birthday

Most 1911s will have a break in period and many manufactorers will tell you not to try hollow point ammo until you have shot several hundred arounds of ball ammo.

Another thing to try before sending it anywhere is several different magazines. I have had trouble in one 1911 with Novak mags, bought Wilson 47d's and the issues cleared up. Some 1911's are finicky like that.

Find which mag/ammo combo works best and then shoot several hundred of those rounds through your gun until you are satisfied that it is reliable. That is a great gun and should serve you well, congrats on it.

The good news is ... it's a .45 ACP! Combat proven in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam as a man-stopper with good 'ole 230 grain FMJ ammo.

And if it feeds reliability, why not simply stick with what is working?

I have zero issues carrying ball ammo in my .45 -- when you're punching a 45 caliber hole in something you don't necessarily need hollow points.

Just my $.02.

Enjoy your pistol ... it's a good one.

Bear