• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So, I want to buy my folks a good water filtration deal for emergencies...recommendations?

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    I’m looking to get my folks some kind of water filtration deal for emergencies. They are getting older and live way off grid. It needs to be able to filter a good bit of water for multiple people, preferable easily maintained and portable to a degree that they can take it elsewhere with ease if needed, so no custom builds here, most likely. Any recommendations?

Dunno how many multiple is but a Platypus 4 liter is very good on the portable and ease of use side.
    Have used one for 3-4 guys in backcountry.

R

tenor.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: HornDog87
    Reactions: Tokay444
    Just as a question, how far off the grid is "Way off the Grid?"
    Where are they getting their water from?
    Does it actually have any concerning contaminates.
    If they are "Way off the Grid," does their water need to be filtered?

If they have a good clean natural water source that they have been drinking out of for years, they may be perfectly accustomed to drinking it & not have to worry.

I use the white ceramic filters in ours since we are only filtering city tap water. The difference in the taste of the water is amazing! We have several sets of the black filters stored in case we ever have to filter water from our pond. I definitely recommend a Berkey

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    For at-home shit? Not in the field? Got power?

A CLEAN de-humidifier is ideal. No joke. It can produce a few gallons a day. They actually have modified refrigerators they sell in Kenya that do this. Just saw it on a documentary. It's just a de-hu.

But you gotta keep 'em clean because they aren't designed for this and will build up mold and dirt and shit.

And I'd probably still wanna run it through a cheap brita filter or some such.

But it's an idea to keep on the table. Much about survival is what you know and how much of that you can put in practice.

Berkey is the "off the shelf" option. Fill us in on the details.....
    1) What / where is the water source ?
    2) Age and physical condition of your parents?
    3) Just exactly how many people, animals, etc are you talking about?
    4) General location (What state or country) ?
    5) Lots of options with solar, stand alone setups.
    6) Are they in an area where temperatures get below freezing for a long period of time?
    7) What is the budget?
    8) Do you have someone in the group that has a mechanical ability ?

There will be many more questions and opinions.

Hobo

Berkey works great for the fam and me. I swear I need a bigger one since it's easy to drink it down between use for coffee, lemonade, and hydration.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    It depends on your needs.

I use an MSR ceramic pump and a UV stir pen. Covers most situations quite adequately.

If you're talking about filtering home water I prefer the zero water filter. It measures the best of any filter I have ever tried and if you take it apart you can see why.

I find it strange the Berkey site "what will my filter remove" it gets pretty amazing, then stupid. it will remove all kinds of contaminants except they don't recommend it for filtering pool water!!! So in an emergency head over to the pond or drainage ditch for your water but don't use the crystal clear pool water LOL

Specially formulated to address 200+ typical contaminants found in tap water and other freshwater sources.
    Our unique Black Berkey® Elements are made from a proprietary blend of media, and are backed by independent third-party testing. The gold standard in gravity-fed water filtration, authentic Black Berkey® Elements are capable of greater contaminant reduction and a longer lifespan than virtually any of the other filter elements on the market.

The Black Berkey® Element formulation has been tested by State and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed NSF/ANSI Standard 53.

Black Berkey® Elements have been tested and confirmed to remove or greatly reduce the contaminants listed below:

TRIHALOMETHANES
    Removed to Below Lab Detectable Limits:
    Bromodichloromethane ; Bromoform ; Chloroform ; Dibromochloromethane.

INORGANIC MINERALS
    Chloramine; Chloride; Chlorine Residual (Total Residual Chlorine); Free Chlorine

HEAVY METALS (HIGH & LOW pH LEVELS)
    Aluminum; Antimony; Barium; Beryllium; Bismuth; Cadmium; Cobalt; Chromium; Chromium 6; Copper; Iron; Lead; Mercury; Molybdenum; Nickel; Vanadium; Zinc.

PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS CONTAMINANTS
    Acetaminophen; Caffeine; Carbamazepine; Ciprofloxacin HCl; Erythromycin USP; Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim; Bisphenol A; Diclofenac Sodium; 4-para-Nonylphenol; 4-tert-Octylphenol; Primidone; Progestrone; Gemfibrozil; Ibuprofen; Naproxen Sodium; Triclosan.

ALSO REMOVES OR REDUCES:

Arsenic; Fluorene; Manganese; MBAS; PCB’s; Petroleum Products (Gasoline, Diesel, Crude Oil, Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Refined Oil); Selenium; Thallium; Rust; Silt; Sediment; Turbidity; Foul Tastes and Odors.

Reactions: strikeeagle1
    I find it strange the Berkey site "what will my filter remove" it gets pretty amazing, then stupid. it will remove all kinds of contaminants except they don't recommend it for filtering pool water!!! So in an emergency head over to the pond or drainage ditch for your water but don't use the crystal clear pool water LOL

Stupid ? Why did you leave out the explanation on pool water ? That info explains it well, I will take my chances with the ditch water .

https://www.usaberkeyfilters.com/faq/

Reactions: Makinchips208
    Berkey for the win ,only way to go for the type of situation the OP describes .

Something I am trying to engineer around.
    In my region temperatures can stay below freezing for weeks at a time. I have looked at most off grid water purification systems.
    None are designed for a freezing environment. Locating a reservoir tank below grade would help but getting water out of the tank at zero degrees will be a problem.

Brings me back to having a generator that will run my submersible house pump.

Discussion or ideas ?

Stupid ? Why did you leave out the explanation on pool water ? That info explains it well, I will take my chances with the ditch water .

https://www.usaberkeyfilters.com/faq/
    Because it's absurd to market a water filter for "emergencies" and try and say you would drink water contaminated with kerosene or cadmium or other heavy metals and then say water that you swim in and play in shouldn't be used in an emergency?? Really and seriously you must be delusional. But you drink your ditch water from your Berkey.........

If it's only for tap water, it's not for emergencies, and if it can't filter clean pool water I'm not sure why anyone could rely on it to filter contaminated water with the chemicals it claims to filter. All except pool water apparently.
    Compare; to the chemicals a pool "might" have that you swim in, get in your eyes and mouth etc.

Chemicals and contaminants commonly found in swimming pools include the following: pH increaser, pH decreaser, alkalinity increaser (sodium bicarbonate, baking soda), alkalinity decreaser (muriatic acid, sodium bisulfate), calcium hardness increaser, chlorine, bromine, biguanide, cyanuric acid, ammonia, saltwater, bacteria and other pathogens, algae, insects, and animal waste. The presence and concentrations of these chemical contaminants are dependent upon several factors including the types of pools, types of disinfectants used, disinfectant dosages, bather loads, temperature, and the pH of swimming pool waters.

The Black Berkey® Purification Element has been rigorously tested by independent third-party labs for the removal or reduction of contaminants such as herbicides, inorganic non-metals (including chlorine, and chloramine), pathogenic bacteria, parasites, pesticides, perfluorinated acid compounds, petroleum, pharmaceuticals, radiologicals, trihalomethanes, viruses, and volatile organic compounds.

In conclusion, in position on chlorine in a water source is that according to the test data, the Black Berkey® Purification Element appears to reduce greater than 99.9% of chlorine. With that being said, we do believe the elements will remove a chlorine threat given the facts of the test data. However, we would not recommend drinking pool water for regular consumption as it may contain additional contaminants or chemicals other than chlorine that may or may not have been previously tested by our vast catalog of independent third-party testing.

Something I am trying to engineer around.
    In my region temperatures can stay below freezing for weeks at a time. I have looked at most off grid water purification systems.
    None are designed for a freezing environment. Locating a reservoir tank below grade would help but getting water out of the tank at zero degrees will be a problem.

Brings me back to having a generator that will run my submersible house pump.

Discussion or ideas ?

I would do a generator. If you wanna get froggy with it you can back lead from your generator through your dryer outlet. Obviously that comes with its own risk but you can get a sub panel set up pretty easily to have its own back feed. Then you can run anythnig in your house through the breaker system, provided your generator can run it.

I've also heard of guys putting in a small manual pump through their well casing, but not sure how that works with all wells.

If you have a shop that doesn't get too far below freezing you can route a gutter in through the wall to a big IBC Tote and have it insulated or run a cattle tank warmer in it during the winter. I've thought about doing the cattle tank heater but I know they can really add to the electric over the whole winter.

My winter plan is to walk to the running creek about 400yds away from my house and filter it out. Any other time, I have totes with water.

I would do a generator. If you wanna get froggy with it you can back lead from your generator through your dryer outlet. Obviously that comes with its own risk but you can get a sub panel set up pretty easily to have its own back feed. Then you can run anythnig in your house through the breaker system, provided your generator can run it.

I've also heard of guys putting in a small manual pump through their well casing, but not sure how that works with all wells.

If you have a shop that doesn't get too far below freezing you can route a gutter in through the wall to a big IBC Tote and have it insulated or run a cattle tank warmer in it during the winter. I've thought about doing the cattle tank heater but I know they can really add to the electric over the whole winter.

My winter plan is to walk to the running creek about 400yds away from my house and filter it out. Any other time, I have totes with water.
    We are on the same page.
    Too many variables to formulate a one size fits all.
    I have local friends here in Montana that have installed the hand pump adapter on their submersible wells. I have not bought into that as a long term option.
    I have an irrigation canal running through my property. The head gates are closed for the winter but there is a flow through the canal all winter long. I am told the flow is spring fed. I am located on the valley floor. Yes, I am weighing the contamination factor.
    I am a retired steamfitter / welder. I have worked on many, large scale, water reclamation projects. The technology is all basically the same it's only the size of the project that varies.
    Many years ago, I went to the Estate Sale of a retired "Water Engineer". Spoke with his family in depth. He was an old school Survivalist. On his patio were 4 - 5 PVC barrels, mounted at different elevations. The house gutters were routed to the highest barrel. The lowest barrel had a regular 3/4" hose bibb valve. I should have gotten some photos. I have not seen any system similar to that in many years. Obviously the system would produce potable water.

Reactions: Gustav7
    We are on the same page.
    Too many variables to formulate a one size fits all.
    I have local friends here in Montana that have installed the hand pump adapter on their submersible wells. I have not bought into that as a long term option.
    I have an irrigation canal running through my property. The head gates are closed for the winter but there is a flow through the canal all winter long. I am told the flow is spring fed. I am located on the valley floor. Yes, I am weighing the contamination factor.
    I am a retired steamfitter / welder. I have worked on many, large scale, water reclamation projects. The technology is all basically the same it's only the size of the project that varies.
    Many years ago, I went to the Estate Sale of a retired "Water Engineer". Spoke with his family in depth. He was an old school Survivalist. On his patio were 4 - 5 PVC barrels, mounted at different elevations. The house gutters were routed to the highest barrel. The lowest barrel had a regular 3/4" hose bibb valve. I should have gotten some photos. I have not seen any system similar to that in many years. Obviously the system would produce potable water.

That sounds pretty cool, and have always wanted to sit down for a drink with someone who has obtained those skills and used them in a practical manner.

With the cheap and effective filtering options these days, I have just went that route. A few portable Sawyers and a Berkey in the house is plenty for me. The main concern has been water storage, and really only in winter. Realistically, it wouldn't be hard to obtain some water and produce acceptable drinking water for short term...but obviously I'm always looking at optimizing any situation.

My generator can keep my freezers running and my pellet burner if winter. That was always my main concern.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    That sounds pretty cool, and have always wanted to sit down for a drink with someone who has obtained those skills and used them in a practical manner.

With the cheap and effective filtering options these days, I have just went that route. A few portable Sawyers and a Berkey in the house is plenty for me. The main concern has been water storage, and really only in winter. Realistically, it wouldn't be hard to obtain some water and produce acceptable drinking water for short term...but obviously I'm always looking at optimizing any situation.

My generator can keep my freezers running and my pellet burner if winter. That was always my main concern.
    Perhaps we can get someone to chime in who lives off grid in Alaska / Canada and give some more ideas.

Reactions: Gustav7
    In a real emergency I'm thinking about significant and immediate health hazards.
    That means I'll only need to worry about biological hazards (there are are some exceptions).

Unless there's a known or highly suspected industrial contamination site upstream (surface water) or upgradient from the groundwater well, the likelihood of significant solvent or pharmaceutical contaminants being in your source water is stupid low.
    Furthermore, almost all the organic and mineral contaminants listed in the Berkeley screen shot above (#18) are ~10^-6 (1 in a million) lifetime health risks.

Stuff like fecal coliform, giardia, various worms, and other bacteria, on the other hand, can cause major health issues very quickly.

The pool water (if properly maintained) takes care of almost all biological hazards. The pool does use both sodium and boron at concentrations higher than I'd want to drink for long, and most water treatment systems and the Berkeley have trouble removing anions like sodium and boron.

If you're curious about what's in your potential source water, just do a search for a local certified analytical lab (DEN has dozens), give them a call and discuss options, then take them a mason jar or two of the source water, and ask for a drinking water analysis. It'll cost you about 4 boxes of center fire ammo. Do not contact a softener or treatment system sales guy who will show up at your house with a pocket full of test strips that provide results that are worth much less than you pay for them.

If electricity is expected to be out for a long time, and your water supply well is not too deep (couple hundred feet?) you could consider pulling the pump, riser pipe and electric cable and then using a bailer to bring water up a gallon or more per trip. Keep it all sanitary.

1704402478843.png

Thanks @hkguns for the resurrection.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    I hate it when people do that!
    Why? I’d rather have one relevant post on a relevant topic that contains a deep discussion over the years vs. a thousand little scattered threads (but all started/ended in a short timeframe).

I do get it if the new post isn’t relevant.

Maybe not you, but the anti-thread resurrection folks always seem to be downright morally offended by the very action itself, regardless. Why? OCD? I don’t get it.

0639C417-0E07-493D-8D6E-46DF1AD773FD.gif

Some people looking at an old post being replied to

Why? I’d rather have one relevant post on a relevant topic that contains a deep discussion over the years vs. a thousand little scattered threads (but all started/ended in a short timeframe).

I do get it if the new post isn’t relevant.

Maybe not you, but the anti-thread resurrection folks always seem to be downright morally offended by the very action itself, regardless. Why? OCD? I don’t get it.

View attachment 8314337
    Some people looking at an old post being replied to

Necro threads that are useful I understand. I think it bothers guys when someone new searches for a thread, doesn't read it or the see the date, then comments randomly like it was yesterday on info that is outdated or not really helpful.

Then again, the longer you've been on the Hide, it seems the less sympathetic guy are to non status quo situational awareness.