• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos So, if it starts out like this....

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.
What does it end up like?

Well, like this....

url]

About five years on the project. .50 caliber.

Re: So, if it starts out like this....

That is some damn fine craftsmanship! Absolutely gorgeous work. Not really my style but one has to appreciate the work and detail that went into that rifle. The wood and engraving look outstanding......

there is no work for how good that looks... i have been looking for someone to engrave my first 1911 for the longest time but for some reason have fallen short in my search.

That is friggen nuts, I sure don't have the never to pull someting like that off. Great job.

Many thanks. I am not the engraver, the engraving was done by a relatively young man named Barry Lee Hands. I think Barry is quickly becoming one of America's finest engravers.

I had always wanted to put together one last Sharps rifle, a Gemmer, and finally set about one last project about arctic exploration. Fredrick Schwatka, an Army Officer (West Point) and physician, led the remarkable expedition that sought to find the lost Franklin Expedition. They took with them two factory Sharps Rifles. The Geographical Society in 1880, noted that his expedition had made "the longest sledge journey ever made both in regard to time and distance" of eleven months and four days and 2,709 miles (4,360 km) and that it was the first Arctic expedition on which the whites relied entirely on the same diet as the Inuit. Later Schwatka was asked to explore the Yukon River. His group built rafts and floated down to the Bering Sea, naming many geographic features along the way. At more than 1,300 miles (2,092 km), it was the longest raft journey that had ever been made. Beginning in 1896, Schwatka led two private expeditions to Alaska and three to northeastern Mexico and published descriptions of the social customs and the flora and fauna of these regions.

The process started out with alot of research and then heavily modifying a Sharps receiver. Then a five year project began that brought alot of old friends together for a rare "old school" build. Folks traveled from around the globe to take part, it was really something special.

In its day, this was THE long range rifle company, competing out to 1,000 yards in 1880....iron sights.

hey that penny came out of denver i herd it is nice there this time of year.
Very very nice work

The jerk in me wants to say: Looks good, but how's it shoot? Whereas I seriously am impressed with the craftsmanship and dedication that was taken to achieve such progress.

I know that I drink too much coffee to have the steadiness of hand to do that. Let alone the concentration of mind cells to see that through.