• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So it begins for a newbie

Torch Red Tulsan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Tulsa, Ok
Hey guys. I've been fascinated with the concept of long range shooting for quite a while now. I finally bought the gun I wanted but the actual build is going to take some time as the budget allows. My "build sheet" starts with my Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD. My plans are to use a McMillan A5 stock and Leupold Mark 4 scope. I have no plans to upgrade the trigger but that opinion might change with experience. I will be a casual shooter who may or may not get into competitions if I ever learn all the math, physics, geometry, and other subjects I failed in school that seem to be a necessity in shooting.

My question today is about doing a bolt conversion like I've seen many people on here get from people like Mark at Short Action Customs. Everyone seems to rave about them but I have no idea what the advantage is to having one of these bolt conversions done. Does it make cycling the knob easier? Require less movement for those of you needing to maintain concealment after a shot?

I appreciate the answers ahead of time and will have many more seemingly simple questions like this as I go.

Re: So it begins for a newbie

Not sure about the bolt conversion your talking about. Give us a little more info. Do you just mean a bolt knob change?

If I was you I'd get the base rifle you state above and the Mark 4 of your choose and ammo. Go out and watch a match or two around your area. Watch how they set-up and position. Get yourself a good 100y zero and go and shoot a few matches. Doing this will get you the info on the sport that you lack. I started cold turkey in this sport about three years ago. Most of the people shooting matches will help you out. If your willing to lesson and try.

If you don't reload try the Hornady tap stuff or the 168gr bthp match. Seems to as good a FGMM at about 10$ a box cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure about the bolt conversion your talking about. Give us a little more info. Do you just mean a bolt knob change?

If I was you I'd get the base rifle you state above and the Mark 4 of your choose and ammo. Go out and watch a match or two around your area. Watch how they set-up and position. Get yourself a good 100y zero and go and shoot a few matches. Doing this will get you the info on the sport that you lack. I started cold turkey in this sport about three years ago. Most of the people shooting matches will help you out. If your willing to lesson and try.

If you don't reload try the Hornady tap stuff or the 168gr bthp match. Seems to as good a FGMM at about 10$ a box cheaper.
</div></div>

Here's a link to Mark's site. It does just change the bolt knob but I wasn't sure if there was a tactical/quality reason or just personal preference. I'd definitely like to get out with some other shooters and learn as much as possible starting with the basics of proper position and eventually getting up to the more involved concepts

Couple of reasons to modify the bolt.

Change the firing pin to a lighter one, gives you a faster (shorter) lock time, big bolt knob easier to grab hold of in stressful situations (Like competition), looks better, but this is very subjective.

I changed my bolt knob and the firing pin, for all of the reasons given above. Aesthetics, easier to grab hold of, and a faster lock time.

Speak to Kieth Johns at Az Precision here on the hide. Fantastic work, super fast and great people to work with. My bolt is fantastic, I love it! Oh, and they're pretty reasonably priced. Tell them Neil from the UK told you about them.

Neil

Thank Paduan. I've seen the term "lock time" several times but apparently it's too generic a term for my search results to return an actual description of what this means.

Lock time is the time between when the trigger breaks and the round actually fires. Usually measured in milliseconds. A long lock time will allow more time for shooter error to throw the round. Lack of follow through and/or bad position become very apparent on guns with longer lock times, like semi-autos.

Yeah I can see the lock time being a plus. Not sure how much a plus for a begininng shooter but maybe so. I shot a Rem. LTR with no mod's as of yet and it still shoots better than I. I still say trigger time is more important for the begineer. If you'd like to come up and shoot some matches we have a couple up in B'ham most every month. I know it's a haul from B'ham. Just drop me a line.

Thanks Khooks. B'ham is a little bit of a drive but not bad for a weekend trip. I was surprised to move to the south from the midwest (Okl) and find shooting is less popular down here. I'll definitely be in touch when I'm ready to check out a match

Yeah I heard that. Put in a member call out for your area in the member link up thread. They're alot of shooters out there to be found and some place to go and shoot. If you wish check out this website:
http://www.scssa.org/

If your into multiple shooting style they may have something you could make a Sat & Sun out of.

Since we're talking about bolts, I've noticed that some have a pattern on the bolt itself. Either a diamond shape or a spiral. What's the purpose of this?

sm_700_5r_j_bolt01.jpg

100_shortr1.JPG

The diamond shape (i think) comes by the means in which they polish the bolt body. Now for the fluting on the bolt bodies it lightens the bolt, looks good, and also some fluting can help in freeze up in Artic type locations. It makes less surface area for ice to bond the metals together. Not a problem in Alabama.

the polishing is called jeweling. remember the spirit of st louis? same as on the nose cone. just an extra added touch to make it look nice. just a repetative over lapping pattern of polished circles