• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So much for made in USA quality...

KZP

P.L.O.
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
NC
Opened up my new "MADE IN USA" die set, tried one out, seemed way more difficult than any die I ever used, tried more cutting fluid, still hard. Took a closer look and well....it's going back. Below is a photo of a die I did not yet use.

1661192539926.png

Unlisted on McMaster store, showed up as Irwin Hanson.

Reactions: nikerret
Holy shit! That's nasty. Whatever was used to cut those threads was duller than fuck.

I have an old craftsman set that looks brand new I’ve never used but it’s the old USA made mid 60s early 70s(I think) grey box with red inserts hopefully they aren’t shit when I finally need to use one.

I have a ton of Hanson taps and dies, drill bits, etc, etc...
When I say a ton, I mean a metric shit ton, hundreds of taps and dies from maybe screw size 2 all the way up to 1 inch NPT in standard, metric, whitworth, NPT, and probably some stuff I don't even remember.
They are good to go and never had an issue.
Either that die was mis-packed (another brand), or it was a cull that somehow made it into packaging and got shipped out.
Hanson stuff does not look like that.

When I say a ton, I mean a metric shit ton, hundreds of taps and dies from maybe screw size 2 all the way up to 1 inch NPT in standard, metric, whitworth, NPT, and probably some stuff I don't even remember.
Either that die was mis-packed (another brand), or it was a cull that somehow made it into packaging and got shipped out.

The entire set of dies between SAE and metric are mangled to some degree, about 24 dies. All the of them are laser engraved saying USA on them, so I don't think it's a mistaken die. Someone in QC took the day off during this run of dies.

I have an old craftsman set that looks brand new I’ve never used but it’s the old USA made mid 60s early 70s(I think) grey box with red inserts hopefully they aren’t shit when I finally need to use one.

I have that same set. They are absolutely amazing.

That pretty much sums you up, doesn't it.
A guy posts photos of a Hanson die with poor QC, and you say Hanson stuff does not look like that.

Despite proof, your opinion trumps facts.

Going from memory here (I'd have to get it in-hand to verify) but I have a particular tap here (quality brand) that is physically a 3/8" UNF but is laser-marked 5/16" UNC.

Or something like that. Point being, I specifically hung on to it so that I can one-day have fun with an apprentice, or something along those lines.

But what you got there, OP, is a gong-show from the get-go.

McMaster just shipped me a new one, so I'll update how it looks later this week.

That pretty much sums you up, doesn't it.
A guy posts photos of a Hanson die with poor QC, and you say Hanson stuff does not look like that.

Despite proof, your opinion trumps facts.
Where the fuck does that come from ?
You know how you listed your location as NZ ?
Exactly what product comes from NZ ?
Yea, it's like that, bitch.

When a hungry construction worker, on his lunch break, walks into a restaurant wanting a rib eye and all that is left is hamburger...... What does he do.?
I have commented many times here on lack of Quality, QC, craftsmanship.... One more hole in the lifeboat of America. To the young man, start collecting grand paw's old tools, scavenging estate sales and procuring anything tool related with Made in USA on it. A 50 year old tap or die with wear is better than a brand new tap or die..... Pick up broken drill bits and learn how to sharpen them... Priceless... My list is long.

It is not just tools.

Last edited:
This shows some poor reviews... https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-12-Piece-Metric-Tap-and-Die-Set/5013305505

Also, Black and Decker bought Irwin tools in 2018 - Is this typical buy and bleed a name out with cheap product substitutes?

You can see "Black and Decker" responding to a couple of the poor reviews on lowes site.

OP ?
Can you possibly post the "Hanson" logo from the package you have now, and the new replacement once it gets there ?
Yup, I'm thinking Chiwanese knock off or something.
I'll go dig up some older Hanson stuff I have and do the same.

Reactions: ma smith
This shows some poor reviews... https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-12-Piece-Metric-Tap-and-Die-Set/5013305505

Also, Black and Decker bought Irwin tools in 2018 - Is this typical buy and bleed a name out with cheap product substitutes?

You can see "Black and Decker" responding to a couple of the poor reviews on lowes site.

This is one of the problems I have with McMaster, you don't know the brand until it arrives. Normally I've gotten good stuff. This is all the listing shows.

EDIT: I do remember the box saying 2018, so that explains the QC.

OP ?
Can you possibly post the "Hanson" logo from the package you have now, and the new replacement once it gets there ?
Yup, I'm thinking Chiwanese knock off or something.
I'll go dig up some older Hanson stuff I have and do the same.

Already taped up the box for UPS pickup. I'd be surprised if McMaster is drop shipping counterfeits. I assumed they inventory their own store front.

Last edited:
Well, once upon a time...

On Friday, my Dispose-all went tits-up. Jammed solid. I figured I had jammed a bone or something.

Looked online and a similar unit was $300. Plus lead time. Plus it looked like it was made of plastic by people who use their feet as a fixturing tool. I figured it would last about a year. Same brand, too.

So all.... damned... day... on Sunday, I dismounted my old one, stripped it down. (I figured... 30 minute job... 5 hours later... ) But it's a InSinkErAtor from the late 1970's. And I have to say that after I stripped it and found a (decade-old) knife tip in it -- broken off no doubt by someone trying to unjam it or get something out, I was able to put it back together. Throw some lube in the bearings... it ran like a top. Better than in a decade, in fact. Apparently removing a rusty broken knife tip helps.

Anyway, I think I could take a Ford Pinto and put it down that sink and it would just grind it up. So once upon a time, we had The Right Stuff to make things that lasted. After the rebuild I am confident that unit will out live me. 45 years old... and better than anything out there today.

Sort of like those 1970's refrigerators that will never, ever quit. Or stoves.

Moden shit is built to a price to sell on Amazon or at big box ripoff stores. In China or Mexico or Leshotho... Fuck all them. Let's get America making things right again.

Cheers,

Sirhr.

PS. I will say that though I am pleased with the outcome. Some of the language I uttered on Sunday while holding tools covered in ancient bacon grease and nasty veggie paste probably left the cats scarred for life. Fuck me what a nasty job. But do it right once and then wait another 45 years. Or buy a POS from Home Best Mart and it will fail in 3 years and you'll be spending another %$#@ing Sunday up to your arms in grease and detritus. In retrospect... Happy. At the time.... fucking swearing up a storm! Esp. when I found the broken knife tip. %$#@ing %%$#iddy %$@#!!!!

Well, once upon a time...

On Friday, my Dispose-all went tits-up. Jammed solid. I figured I had jammed a bone or something.

Looked online and a similar unit was $300. Plus lead time. Plus it looked like it was made of plastic by people who use their feet as a fixturing tool. I figured it would last about a year. Same brand, too.

So all.... damned... day... on Sunday, I dismounted my old one, stripped it down. (I figured... 30 minute job... 5 hours later... ) But it's a InSinkErAtor from the late 1970's. And I have to say that after I stripped it and found a (decade-old) knife tip in it -- broken off no doubt by someone trying to unjam it or get something out, I was able to put it back together. Throw some lube in the bearings... it ran like a top. Better than in a decade, in fact. Apparently removing a rusty broken knife tip helps.

Anyway, I think I could take a Ford Pinto and put it down that sink and it would just grind it up. So once upon a time, we had The Right Stuff to make things that lasted. After the rebuild I am confident that unit will out live me. 45 years old... and better than anything out there today.

Sort of like those 1970's refrigerators that will never, ever quit. Or stoves.

Moden shit is built to a price to sell on Amazon or at big box ripoff stores. In China or Mexico or Leshotho... Fuck all them. Let's get America making things right again.

Cheers,

Sirhr.

PS. I will say that though I am pleased with the outcome. Some of the language I uttered on Sunday while holding tools covered in ancient bacon grease and nasty veggie paste probably left the cats scarred for life. Fuck me what a nasty job. But do it right once and then wait another 45 years. Or buy a POS from Home Best Mart and it will fail in 3 years and you'll be spending another %$#@ing Sunday up to your arms in grease and detritus. In retrospect... Happy. At the time.... fucking swearing up a storm! Esp. when I found the broken knife tip. %$#@ing %%$#iddy %$@#!!!!

This all started because I wanted to do something similar. I have an old Sears table saw with a bunch of proprietary parts. Not perfect but gets the job done. The fence tension adjuster is a custom bent 5/16 steel rod with one end threaded. After decades of use the threads stripped. I've been needing a nice full thread / tap set as I sold my old harbor freight one years back.

Anyway I brazed some bronze onto the threads so I could restore the tension rod only to end up with junk dies when trying to re-thread. Turns out I should have gone on ebay and bought old dies and taps. Guessing the replacement set is going to be mangled based finding out it's post 2018 Irwin Hanson as @NoDopes noted has been poorly reviewed.

I have that same set. They are absolutely amazing.
Hard to find good tools today and most if not all of the stuff coming out of China is of poor quality although there are rare exceptions. Speaking of the old Craftsman tap & die sets, I bought a both the SAE and Metric set many years ago. Have used the heck out of them and still work as if they were new.

Reactions: NoDopes

Does it look like this?

s-l1600.png

Reactions: ZiaHunter
Not sure what you where working on.

I have an older set of Irwin Hanson tap and dies and we have several sets where I teach. I put them clearly in the only use to repair threads and defiantly not to be used to cut new threads group. Even when they look good the taps are brittle and break easy.

Reactions: lariat
Not sure what you where working on.

I have an older set of Irwin Hanson tap and dies and we have several sets where I teach. I put them clearly in the only use to repair threads and defiantly not to be used to cut new threads group. Even when they look good the taps are brittle and break easy.

That photo is an unused die straight from the factory. Whole box looks mostly like that.

Anyone remember that ad for the stupid "Smart Faucet" that you could voice command or send a text to so it filled your stupid dog bowl... like you were there to put the bowl under the faucet?

THAT is what sells today.

The POS replacement dispose-all that I looked at online has an "Air switch." Instead of activating when you put in the t-handle stopper and activator... it runs off a bluetooth button you stick on the edge of the sink. Does anyone really think that is going to last more than a couple of years? A %$#&ing AIR Switch?

Yes you suburban twat-waffles, this is what you crave. And what is being jammed down your throat. Garbage from China that won't last more than a few months.

Fuck them all. FUCK THEM ALL.

I will continue to search out and restore and employ old American goods... because if you can fix it to like new (and from the '50's to '80's you could). After that, Clinton gave away America to China and the Big Box revolution fucked the American Consumer... who gladly bent over to take it in the ass for "more cheap stuff" instead of 'some quality stuff.'

Fuck China and all those who gave our manufacturing capacity to those commies.

Sirhr

Where the fuck does that come from ?
You know how you listed your location as NZ ?
Exactly what product comes from NZ ?
Yea, it's like that, bitch.
Fuck you are a clown. Where my comment came from is your posting history - you are all over the place like a mad woman's shit.

I'll tell you what doesn't come from New Zealand - whiny cunts like you.

Eta. I own a engineering firm, and we have a huge problem with rubbish tooling. The rule for us is nothing mmade in China - and it is hard to maintain. Cutting tools are mostly Swedish or Korean, and you still have to check where the stuff comes from irrespective of the company name - the Germans are the worst for this.
Stainless steel is getting more difficult, and with Taiwan in jeopardy it could get a lot harder.

Moving manufacturing to China was one of the stupidest moves in the last 100 years or so.

Last edited:
Anyone remember that ad for the stupid "Smart Faucet" that you could voice command or send a text to so it filled your stupid dog bowl... like you were there to put the bowl under the faucet?

THAT is what sells today.

The POS replacement dispose-all that I looked at online has an "Air switch." Instead of activating when you put in the t-handle stopper and activator... it runs off a bluetooth button you stick on the edge of the sink. Does anyone really think that is going to last more than a couple of years? A %$#&ing AIR Switch?

Yes you suburban twat-waffles, this is what you crave. And what is being jammed down your throat. Garbage from China that won't last more than a few months.

Fuck them all. FUCK THEM ALL.

I will continue to search out and restore and employ old American goods... because if you can fix it to like new (and from the '50's to '80's you could). After that, Clinton gave away America to China and the Big Box revolution fucked the American Consumer... who gladly bent over to take it in the ass for "more cheap stuff" instead of 'some quality stuff.'

Fuck China and all those who gave our manufacturing capacity to those commies.

Sirhr
I agree on all counts.

Double agree on fuck china.

Irwin quality has went straight into the shitter. Happened right after they bought out Vise Grip.

I don’t care if their shit is American made, I’m not touching it with a ten foot pole.

Is that why lowes/home depot stopped carrying them? I noticed a few years back all Irwin stuff vanished.

This is one of the problems I have with McMaster, you don't know the brand until it arrives. Normally I've gotten good stuff. This is all the listing shows.

EDIT: I do remember the box saying 2018, so that explains the QC.

Already taped up the box for UPS pickup. I'd be surprised if McMaster is drop shipping counterfeits. I assumed they inventory their own store front.
I agree with the issue. They need to post the brand and where it’s made right on their website.

I’ve had luck calling them to determine a brand and country of origin.

Not exactly efficient, but it got results.

Is that why lowes/home depot stopped carrying them? I noticed a few years back all Irwin stuff vanished.
They purchased vise grip quite a while ago. I want to say early 2000s.

Vise Grip used to be made in Nebraska. I don’t think that plant is around anymore, but I also can’t say where they’ve moved production.

Fuck you are a clown. Where my comment came from is your posting history - you are all over the place like a mad woman's shit.

I'll tell you what doesn't come from New Zealand - whiny cunts like you.

Eta. I own a engineering firm, and we have a huge problem with rubbish tooling. The rule for us is nothing mmade in China - and it is hard to maintain. Cutting tools are mostly Swedish or Korean, and you still have to check where the stuff comes from irrespective of the company name - the Germans are the worst for this.
Stainless steel is getting more difficult, and with Taiwan in jeopardy it could get a lot harder.

Moving manufacturing to China was one of the stupidest moves in the last 100 years or so.
You're from New Zealand, your opinion doesn't mean a whole lot in a thread about made in the US stuff.
You don't see me posting about made in NZ things, do you ?
Oh wait, the only thing that comes from NZ is wool and other sheep related products.
So how's your girl doing anyway, since we are on that subject ?
What was her name....Nanny or something like that ?

BTW, who the fuck cares about stainless ?
Taps and dies *should* be made from M2 tool steel with some older ones being made from O1 and possibly 1095.
Other than a pocket knife, I've never seen a real cutting tool made from stainless.

I was wrong about being purchased by Irwin. Irwin is a brand held by Peterson, who invented Vise Grip.

Looks like they went to shit in 2002.
1884 - Charles IRWIN purchases rights to solid center auger bit
1885 - The IRWIN Auger Bit Co. is formed
1924 - Bill Petersen granted basic patent for locking pliers
1934 - Petersen Manufacturing Co. formed to manufacture and market Vise-Grip locking tools
1938 - First official Vise-Grip tools plant opens in an old DeWitt, Nebraska drug store with a staff of 37
1945 - First National Hardware Show; Vise-Grip tools are there
1957 - Modern-design 10WR Vise-Grip locking pliers go on the market with curved jaw and wire cutter
1962 - Petersen Manufacturing opens a plant in Cumberland, Wisconsin for manufacturing twist drills
1978 - Petersen Manufacturing workforce expands to 637 people
1979 - Gorham, Maine plant opens, manufacturing Hanson and IRWIN branded tools
1985 - American Tool Companies, Inc. is formed by the Petersen family and acquires Petersen Manufacturing
1993 - American Tool acquires The IRWIN Tool Company, a revered manufacturer of power tool accessories and cutting tools
2002 - Newell Brands acquires American Tool
2002 - American Tool name officially changes to IRWIN Industrial Tool Company

You're from New Zealand, your opinion doesn't mean a whole lot in a thread about made in the US stuff.
You don't see me posting about made in NZ things, do you ?
Oh wait, the only thing that comes from NZ is wool and other sheep related products.
So how's your girl doing anyway, since we are on that subject ?
What was her name....Nanny or something like that ?

BTW, who the fuck cares about stainless ?
Taps and dies *should* be made from M2 tool steel with some older ones being made from O1 and possibly 1095.
Other than a pocket knife, I've never seen a real cutting tool made from stainless.

I probably shouldn't, but what the hell.

American made tools and engineered products used to be a good export industry for the US - and I'm still buying rolled acme bar stock and some extrusions from the States, so I guess there are still some companies who have a different view to yours.

I'm not a fan of the current NZ Govt, but that is as good a simile as suggesting you are to be judged on yours - seems fair, no? The rest of your first paragraph bears out my first comment in the previous post. Keep it up sport, you are doing great.

Who cares about stainless - seriously? On a gun forum? Try holding more than one thought in your head at once. My stainless steel example followed on from comments about difficulties sourcing non China made products. There are a bunch of industries learning what I saw in the late 70's living in Singapore - the Chinese regard business as a situation where trust is non-existent, and everyone is trying to rip you off. As long as everyone plays by those rules, then OK. When people deal with them expecting the moral code the West used to have, then shit like the die set that started this post is going to happen.

The world is full of stainless tool steels, but I'll refer you to the Uddeholm catalogue as an example and leave it at that. There is some awesome stuff in there.

Finally, sorry to the OP for the deviation.

Last edited:
Irwin taps get dull faster than any other I've tried, and if they manage to hold an edge they break off.

To be fair Snap On taps and dies aren't much better, but they are also outsourced. Rumor has it Snap On is building their own manufacturing plant to make their own drills, taps, and dies here in the USA.

Does it look like this?

s-l1600.png
No, it’s the old grey box with the snap closure and the red insert trays, I’ll try to get a picture later. I think it’s only missing the smallest tap it has the tiny screw driver and everything.

It’s similar to this one,

E06C33C3-46CD-4721-9645-1D441E188D6A.jpeg

Reactions: KZP
No, it’s the old grey box with the snap closure and the red insert trays, I’ll try to get a picture later. I think it’s only missing the smallest tap it has the tiny screw driver and everything.

It’s similar to this one,

View attachment 7939646
All standard sizes? That is one of the issues with older sets, hard to use on modern stuff which is mostly metric.

All standard sizes? That is one of the issues with older sets, hard to use on modern stuff which is mostly metric.
Pretty sure but I’d have to double check. It was $3.00 so knowing it was the old quality craftsman stuff I snagged it and put it on a shelf in the garage for whenever I may need it.

Got a riv-nut set like that too($8.00), it’s came in handy a few time and was only missing 4 riv-nuts.

Reactions: GreenGO Juan
2017, And yes it seems to be inline with the general Stanley Black & Decker philosophy. The issue people face with hand tools is there are big companies like Stanley B&D and Apex tool group that buy smaller quality companies and turn their products to shit, banking on the old name to sell shit or at the very least removing competition.

Reactions: NoDopes