• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So much for self driving cars...

The article that I read stated the software in his car was not the full auto drive that could change lanes. Stupid driver is the problem

never a good thing self driving cars will be .

Maybe the car was suffering from low brain battery syndrome?

I'm curious about this particular incident. Probably due to translation issues, the facts are less than clear about the state of the AutoPilot ADAS at the time of the collision. Assuming that it was active, it fucked up twice in a very short period of time.

Previous version of AP relied too heavily on the radar sensor to detect objects, and those often fail to distinguish stationary objects in a lane from stationary objects in the background. The forward cameras should have picked up both of these objects, but apparently failed to classify them properly for some reason. Seeing as how the weather was clear, it's possible that there was glare from the sun, or maybe there was some sort of hardware or software fault.

I work in the auto industry as a systems & safety engineer, but do not have any recent experience working with Telsa. From this outside perspective, it would appear that the company's functional safety design practices are, shall we say, somewhat questionable.