• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So much for the trusty, reliable Beretta 92

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    I don't want to join a Beretta forum or some crap so I'll just bitch about this here. Purchased my Beretta 92X Performance Defensive on December 6th. Went to the range, got used to it. Shoots great. Go to an IDPA match, first time bringing the 92X along. All goes well until round three. It starts stovepiping everything. Can't extract. Gun totally locks up. I have to do some finger gymnastics to get the spent case out of the barrel while pressing down on the next round so it'll just... cycle.

Show the gun to the guys, one of which is a gunsmith, and he immediately points out my extractor's claw is cracked/bent (see photo). After no more than 100 rounds.

Of course the pivot pin that holds the extractor in is staked, so it's going to be a pain to remove but... I can live with that. But... after calling Beretta to find out what they're going to do to make this right, they inform me I either ship my pistol in to their service center (at my expense, which would cost 5x more than an extractor part) or they'll send me an extractor. I chose the latter. Then she told me they're on backorder potentially for the next 4 months. Fuh-king-great! There goes IDPA. I guess I save ammo?

So I'm like... how about we just replace my pistol since I haven't even gotten past a few boxes of ammo and a month with it before it failed? She's like... well, you'd have to mail it in and we'd opt to repair it first. I say, yeah but you don't have anything to repair it with so how exactly is that going to work? She says they'd hold on to it until the part was available. Right... so not only will the part not be available for some odd amount of time but you'll be in possession of my $1,500 gun? I think not.

I bought this from a dealer hours away from me, I cannot find a local Beretta dealer that'll take the gun and send it back without charging me AT LEAST $35+ for FFL services. (I haven't tried Academy yet and might just because I have sent another pistol in for repair through them at no cost to me.) Anyway, here's how warranty should work. ANY dealer that is authorized to sell new Beretta pistols should be a place I can simply drop my pistol off and have it shipped in for warranty repair - FFL to FFL like FedEx and UPS demand now. I'll gladly pay a fee/shipping up front that is refunded once a warranty claim is deemed necessary and completed. But no, I have to instead find some way to ship a pistol with these changing UPS and FedEx rules and pay for overnight shipping that costs at least 3-5x the amount an extractor would cost to buy and install. And the way Beretta warranty works, you just "leave a note" about what the issue is in the box... they have no idea it's coming. No RMA... nothing. Sad.

IMG_3218.jpg

It'll be a pain in the ass but Id git in my car, drive to where I bought it, explain the situation, and ask/demand my money back. Any good dealer should do that, if not, publish your experience in all kinds of social media, Berretta forums etc, and make sure they see it.

A small tip I learned from dealing with another situaation of poor customer service: Tell them you've been in touch with other owners who have had similar problems and youre discussing a lawsuit. That often gets attention.

Good luck.

1st day owning a gun? If you can manage to get ahold of Beretta then you do not need an FFL to send a gun to them and they do not need to send it to an FFL. If it is your gun, you can send it back and forth to the maker of a gunsmith for work or repair without an FFL. You need an RMA and they'll typically pay the shipping. I have sent one back to Sig and S&W in the last two years with zero issues and no FFL. They sent them back the same way.

at the end of the day...you are talking about a piece of machinery made by the Italians...im not sure what you were expecting :ROFLMAO:

*Laughs in F.lli. Pietta*

Keeping 30+ year old Pietta guns running in mint condition since 2007...
    smiley_smartass.gif

Beretta's firm started off building crossbows for the Duke of Wallonia... Guess they can afford to slack off a little bit when they got half a millenia of PR going for them LOL... Beretta acquired the firm Aldo Uberti in 2008 or so. I've seen some junk Ubertis right out of the box, to the point that I had to get complete parts kits to rebuild them before sending it back to the owner. Not all the time, but enough times to be concerned...

1st day owning a gun? If you can manage to get ahold of Beretta then you do not need an FFL to send a gun to them and they do not need to send it to an FFL. If it is your gun, you can send it back and forth to the maker of a gunsmith for work or repair without an FFL. You need an RMA and they'll typically pay the shipping. I have sent one back to Sig and S&W in the last two years with zero issues and no FFL. They sent them back the same way.

I spoke to Beretta. I get to pay return shipping, not them. I have to use overnight shipping to comply with UPS. FedEx won't even take the pistol.

Wall of text about some over priced slide breaking itilain pistol?

Coulda bought a Glock. Perfection.

I have a Glock 34. I don't like shooting it... can't get used to the grip angle. I can out shoot the 34 with or without an RSO on it with the stock 92X.

You, maybe different. Don't care.

Reactions: Baron23
    I have a Glock 34. I don't like shooting it... can't get used to the grip angle. I can out shoot the 34 with or without an RSO on it with the stock 92X.

Well. Keep buying junk then. There are polymer pistols with different grip angles I hear

It'll be a pain in the ass but Id git in my car, drive to where I bought it, explain the situation, and ask/demand my money back. Any good dealer should do that, if not, publish your experience in all kinds of social media, Berretta forums etc, and make sure they see it.

A small tip I learned from dealing with another situaation of poor customer service: Tell them you've been in touch with other owners who have had similar problems and youre discussing a lawsuit. That often gets attention.

Good luck.

The dealer I bought it from is more than willing to handle the warranty return for me. Unfortunately, mixed with the wait for the part and the fact I'd have to drive 3 hours one way just to do so, I don't have the time. End of Q4 for me... busy. They didn't make the gun. Beretta did. There's 5 Beretta dealers within 30 minutes from me. None will handle it (unless I bought it there) because Beretta doesn't pay them to like (apparently) CZ, etc.

So... lesson learned.

I wish I could. I didn't pay the $1,500 MSRP but for that MSRP the extractor should be made of something better than glass from Pottery Barn.
    Another option would be to call the credit card company you put it on (Hopefully Amex) and tell them the problem. Often they will put a hold on payment until its resolved.

I agree, Ive had a couple Glocks and could never get it to fit right. Sold them both and went back to a Colt Compact. Slides into my hand like a cold bottle of beer on a hot day.

HousePlant, Sorry to hear about your trouble. I think Beretta makes pretty good guns, but CS is generally acknowledged to be bad. And slow. I had to use it on an OOB failure on an O/U shotgun. Slow, but they fixed it. And the gun was right for the 15 years I owned it after that. I did have to take it back to the dealer where I bought it also. I'd still take it to where you bought it when you can and have it sent in for repair. But I get that's 2 add'l 6 hour round trips (drop off and pickup). Frustrating.

And the products are "right" often enough that you're not even aware ahead of time you're playing CS roulette (like maybe with Taurus or an EAA- provided Tanfoglio).

Anyone here remember the "Car and Driver" comparison in the early 90's between the new Chevy Beretta and the Beretta 92? It was quite hilarious. Especially the cornering comparison:

Depends on how hard you throw it against a wall....

Sounds like their customer service training manual.

Reactions: MCSO1357
    Another option would be to call the credit card company you put it on (Hopefully Amex) and tell them the problem. Often they will put a hold on payment until its resolved.

And this is a perfect example of why I hate "customers" most days.

Generally speaking it is clearly posted that all gun sales are final and no returns at the store, and all warranty work is handled by the manufacturer.
    I don't know any gun stores that take returns on firearms, perhaps some do, but it's not common because of all the paperwork and liability issues.

Store is perfectly willing to take the gun and send it to the factory for work.
    Purchaser is free to ignore that and ship the gun at their cost to the factory, or use any other FFL who can ship via USPS to send it to the factory.
    Factory will also send them the part, as soon as they have it, (in the middle of a global manufacturing slowdown remember)

But sure, your advice is: let's try to rob the store because well credit card fraud is fine if you are unhappy with some other company.
    What has the store done to him to deserve you wanting to literally ROB them? They offered to send it back to the factory for free if he dropped it off.
    (it's NOT their problem that he bought it from a far way store).
    Or is it just that you don't care because, well I deserve... and who cares who I screw over?

This is why I hate "customers" so often.

Eventually I did however find a way to deal with it...
    When they charge back something they purchased because they want to be a bitch, just hand the invoice off to a collection agency.
    Last time I did that to some customer who thought they were smart because they figured out some new way to get "free stuff" using some new chargeback scheme on their Amex that they learned on the interwebz, they called a month later begging to pay.

I'm a bit on the militant side with customer fraud, because from the sellers point of view, business loose tens of millions of dollars a year to chargeback fraud and return fraud which in turn has to be passed on in higher prices and each of those fraud things usually costs the company a bit more than the loss of their initial sale.

The "effective" Glock grip angle (the backstrap's swell causes exaggeration to the grip angle) is unique and not for everyone.

The answers are HK vp9, CZ P10, Sig P 320, Walther PDP

Generally speaking it is clearly posted that all gun sales are final and no returns at the store, and all warranty work is handled by the manufacturer.
    I don't know any gun stores that take returns on firearms, perhaps some do, but it's not common because of all the paperwork and liability issues.

Store is perfectly willing to take the gun and send it to the factory for work.
    Purchaser is free to ignore that and ship the gun at their cost to the factory, or use any other FFL who can ship via USPS to send it to the factory.
    Factory will also send them the part, as soon as they have it, (in the middle of a global manufacturing slowdown remember)

But sure, your advice is: let's try to rob the store because well credit card fraud is fine if you are unhappy with some other company.
    What has the store done to him to deserve you wanting to literally ROB them? They offered to send it back to the factory for free if he dropped it off.
    (it's NOT their problem that he bought it from a far way store).
    Or is it just that you don't care because, well I deserve... and who cares who I screw over?

This is why I hate "customers" so often.

Eventually I did however find a way to deal with it...
    When they charge back something they purchased because they want to be a bitch, just hand the invoice off to a collection agency.
    Last time I did that to some customer who thought they were smart because they figured out some new way to get "free stuff" using some new chargeback scheme on their Amex that they learned on the interwebz, they called a month later begging to pay.

I'm a bit on the militant side with customer fraud, because from the sellers point of view, business loose tens of millions of dollars a year to chargeback fraud and return fraud which in turn has to be passed on in higher prices and each of those fraud things usually costs the company a bit more than the loss of their initial sale.

When you take $1500 from a happy customer and the expensive new item breaks before it even loses its “new gun smell” I’d expect a unhappy customer. That’s just natural

Don’t like that, maybe don’t be in a customer facing business.

Personally, I’d offer to take the gun back, deal with the delay and beretta / YOUR supplier yourself, end up whole, and have a customer for life.
    “Sir, though we have no obligation to do this, and your legal recourse is with the manufacture, this is how I’d want to be treated, or how I’d want my family treated, well take the gun back and deal with beretta no worries”

But most gun shops arnt run by customer centric business people, hence why they go out of business like popcorn.

Probably using Chinese/Russian ammunition
    Got to use that Gucci stuff

3108__09442.1583775579.jpg

Should have gotten the PMC Silver or Gold, I guess...

Range doesn't allow anything but brass casing. They use the cases for reloading. Only way they make money... I respect that.

No intent to do a charge back on my credit card. Unless this particular gun store fucked up the gun before they gave it to me (doubt it).

Reactions: 1588
    Well. Keep buying junk then. There are polymer pistols with different grip angles I hear

I have plenty. I like metal frame (read: heavy) pistols for sport shooting better.

I will be taking my Steyr L9 A2 MF to IDPA this week, though. Great gun. Shoots a little left, sadly. Need to drift a sight... at least it works.

Why should a random FFL ship it for you free? they shouldn’t have to pay shipping for something that’s not on them. $35 is cheap most places.

Am I missing something about shipping the whole pistol? If it needs an extractor, why not just ship the slide? No FFL, no overnight shipping?
    Also, doesn't or didn't Wilson use to work on 92's? They may have an extractor.

Why should a random FFL ship it for you free? they shouldn’t have to pay shipping for something that’s not on them. $35 is cheap most places.

Didn't say they a "random FFL" should ship it for free. I said any gun shop that's Beretta authorized IMO should be a drop point for Beretta RMA'd warranty work. Beretta can pay them their FFL fee and send them a shipping label. If they get the gun, look at it, and decide it doesn't need warranty work, then they can charge a return fee. But not all of us live in houses with no neighbors. I don't want to ship a pistol and then have it shipped back to my apartment to be left in the lobby by lazy FedEx or UPS drivers who have never, even for alcohol, gotten a signature from me.

Am I missing something about shipping the whole pistol? If it needs an extractor, why not just ship the slide? No FFL, no overnight shipping?

Beretta wants the entire pistol so they can test fire it and what not.

Is there aftermarket extractors available? If so, that's your cheap cheapest quickest way to resolve the problem.

Couldn't find any aftermarket extractors. I found extractors on eBay. I have very little faith in stuff sold on eBay but I ordered one... so... we'll see.

Wilson has a heavier duty extractor spring. I have an email to them as to what the philosophy is with this...

Well, let's see. You could drive three hours one way, spend 70 dollars on gas, or you can ship it yourself in 30 minutes for 35 bucks.
    Get it fixed (eventually) and sell it.
    Take that money and buy a cz tactical sport orange and have a far better gun for the same price.

There is something to be said for buying locally. Sometimes saves a 3 hour drive when a problem ocures.
    It is somewhat like the people who go to shitmart and buy a rifle the evening before deer season opens and bring it in to have trigger work and zeroed , BUT I NEED IT IN THE MORNING

Couldn't find any aftermarket extractors. I found extractors on eBay. I have very little faith in stuff sold on eBay but I ordered one... so... we'll see.
    Midwest makes one. It’s 32 bucks.

Edit: 24 bucks

Reactions: Baron23
    Is there aftermarket extractors available? If so, that's your cheap cheapest quickest way to resolve the problem.

That would be my go to as well, but because it appears even on their super elite line of…92s…their extractors are monkey shit.

On one of my sigs, it has a two piece guide rod, I read up on this before I got the weapon, at the same time I ordered the pistol I ordered a aftermarket solid SS guide rod, before I fired the first round the factor rod when into the recycling and the new rod went in.

So the gun shop doesn't get paid on something that's not their problem?

He already said the shop he bought it at is more than willing to help. He just doesn't want to drive there.

Didn't say they a "random FFL" should ship it for free. I said any gun shop that's Beretta authorized IMO should be a drop point for Beretta RMA'd warranty work. Beretta can pay them their FFL fee and send them a shipping label. If they get the gun, look at it, and decide it doesn't need warranty work, then they can charge a return fee. But not all of us live in houses with no neighbors. I don't want to ship a pistol and then have it shipped back to my apartment to be left in the lobby by lazy FedEx or UPS drivers who have never, even for alcohol, gotten a signature from me.

Gun store here ships returns for free, so long as you bought it there.

Not 1 manufacturer reimburses them.

It's simply customer service.

So the gun shop doesn't get paid on something that's not their problem?

He already said the shop he bought it at is more than willing to help. He just doesn't want to drive there.
    My understanding is that the shop said "We'll send it in for you."

A righteous vendor would give him his money back and deal with it, they'v got a good bit of profit built in.

They sold it to him, he had it one day and it broke, IT IS THEIR PROBLEM.

Something similar happened to me. Bought a USED rifle from Lock, Stock, & Barrel. The Timney trigger fired whem I shut the bolt hard. I complained and they told me they do what ever it took to keep me happy up to and including taking the rifle back and paying shipping. I took it to a local smith and he said the trigger was mis adjusted and fixed it for $15. I told LSS&B all is good dont worry about the $15. They refunded my shipping anyway.

Thats a righteous dealer. Most highly recommended.

The OP is getting fucked.

My understanding is that the shop said "We'll send it in for you."

A righteous vendor would give him his money back and deal with it, they'v got a good bit of profit built in.

They sold it to him, he had it one day and it broke, IT IS THEIR PROBLEM.

Something similar happened to me. Bought a USED rifle from Lock, Stock, & Barrel. The Timney trigger fired whem I shut the bolt hard. I complained and they told me they do what ever it took to keep me happy up to and including taking the rifle back and paying shipping. I took it to a local smith and he said the trigger was mis adjusted and fixed it for $15. I told LSS&B all is good dont worry about the $15. They refunded my shipping anyway.

Thats a righteous dealer. Most highly recommended.

The OP is getting fucked.

That's a little different than just doing a charge-back.