• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So my wife said...

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    Recently, it seems like there's been an increase in the number of guys that are in relationships where they have to run certain purchases past their significant other, whether to get approval or just make them aware that they're buying something. I told my wife about some of the posts and let her read the comments, most of which she just rolled her eyes too, mainly because we don't have that kind of dynamic at all and we make it work. She thought the whole premise was kind of funny. Basically I have my money, she has hers, and then we have our money that we use to run the household with. She trusts me to spend my money responsibly, because I do adult from time to time, so there's little worry that if I spend $700 on a rifle we're going to be destitute.

Skip forward to today and I have a package come in from BCM, my wife texts me, and said I should post this...

Resized_20200506_161149.jpg
    Resized_20200506_161107.jpg

So I've been getting a good chuckle out of it for the past little bit and she wanted me to share it with all of you fine gentleman belligerents. Who am I to argue with that?

Ya'll have a great day!

I'm a luck mofo and don't deserve my wife, not afraid to admit it. She has never told me I can't buy anything and never makes me feel guilty about it. She supports my hobbies and I support hers.

Just today I told her I'd like to buy my first suppressor. I explained the costs involved and the process. Told her it would be $1k plus with the tax stamp. She says, "are you sure you don't want to buy two so you don't have to wait another 8-12 months on the approval?"

I'm a luck mofo and don't deserve my wife, not afraid to admit it. She has never told me I can't buy anything and never makes me feel guilty about it. She supports my hobbies and I support hers.

Just today I told her I'd like to buy my first suppressor. I explained the costs involved and the process. Told her it would be $1k plus with the tax stamp. She says, "are you sure you don't want to buy two so you don't have to wait another 8-12 months on the approval?"
    Now that's a keeper for sure.

Oh, trust me, I've bought magazines, scopes, and several other things for him, too, not just brought them in. Even helped take them to the range for training and matches.

He buys me things for my hobbies, too.

It's called an adult relationship. Some people should try it sometime.

like the OP, i shake my head at people who allow themselves to be treated like that....or treat others like that. fuck. that. noise.

to those people....all i can think of is asking them if they are a man or a mouse. fyi....i have about the same amount of respect for people who take money that should be spent on the betterment of their family (rent/clothes/utilities) and spend it on optional shit that they prefer. to them, i ask the same question....”are you a man, or a mouse?”

Reactions: LaraCroft
    Oh, trust me, I've bought magazines, scopes, and several other things for him, too, not just brought them in. Even helped take them to the range for training and matches.

1000%

the whole relationship thing is lost at times or never starts with some people

i "bitch" about the wife like most men do, but she knows what is important to me like i do to her...

as long as we are being responsible and respectful of each other it all washes out in the end

Money is easy to manage if you set it up right. Each has their own, then set aside for the joint bills. Bills paid? Buy what you want. Don't need permission. Ask him if I ask his permission to buy stuff 🤣

Now for large ongoing things like cars, appliances, or something that needs life care like a big pet, sure, talk it out. But hobbies like this? That's your money. Yeah, talk it out, but permission should not be a thing.

Im so glad yall have a relationship like that. My wife and you would get along very well. We both work and have our own money also. Leads to a lot smoother of a relationship overall. She has her hobbies and I have mine. She enjoys shooting also and carries 24/7. We have never hidden things from each other, unless it's like presents for each other. It also helps that we now have known each other for 30 years now, since I was 12. We just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this past April.

Last edited:
    I suck at hiding presents. Sometimes I give them early. Lol

And I agree, it goes so much smoother when each has their own money. I never bought into the idea of sharing everything like some people do. To me, that just makes it more stressful. Yes, you share some things and sort of blend with each other, but you are also still your own person. So like, we have overlapping hobbies, like he really enjoys the tactile and precision firearms and I do know how to accurately use them, too. I did a lot more with him with this stuff before my shoulders went funky. I also do photography and sometimes help him with photos for stuff he does with that. But also, I have crafts and gardening that are just mine. He sometimes helps with the gardening when I ask, but not much.
    And believe me, we gripe about things though 🤣 But they are trivial, really. Because we have the big things sorted out. I feel bad for the people I hear complaining or asking frequently about matters like this with their spouses, especially when they feel they have to ask permission to make purchases for their own hobbies. What a terrible way to live. Ifigure, anyone who has their own money is capable of making their own choices, whether they work or are given an allowance. Heck, I let my 8-year-old make her own choices with her own allowance money (within reason, no live animals outside of fish in existing fish tanks).

Prince Harry is shaking his damn head..........he had it all.......missing his free ride military positions........for what?

Reactions: Zorrosdens
    Let her buy her dream car.... She will often joke that she doesn't spend enough as the constant train of packages and ammo show up.

20191109_131827.jpg

I have a terrible problem with My Squaw as to purchasing "Gun Stuff," as she calls it. She is horrible about it. When her mind is made up it WILL go her way..
    We don't have "her's" and "mine" as far as money goes but she does do all of the banking and investing and we talk about that but I always defer to her as she knows much more about that shit than I do and 47 years together has proved that to me.
    My big problem with her is when we are going down some street or another and she sees a Gun Shop or range she will make me turn around and go back there and she is "Going In." I start praying at that point for the owner of that shop if she sees something that catches her eye.
    She likes handguns and AMMO, and knows what I shoot and what she shoots.
    If she finds something she is interested in, and she usually does, I will retreat to the outer edges as she negotiates price with them over some item or another.
    Goddam, it is like watching 2 Rabbis fighting over a penny or a foreskin and she will either win or tell them," Fuck you, it isn't worth that much. call me when you are in the ballpark." She usually walks out with whatever she wants leaving that poor shop owner wondering WTF just happened.
    She has an AMMO Fort that would make ArmyJerry proud.

I have a terrible problem with My Squaw as to purchasing "Gun Stuff," as she calls it. She is horrible about it. When her mind is made up it WILL go her way..
    We don't have "her's" and "mine" as far as money goes but she does do all of the banking and investing and we talk about that but I always defer to her as she knows much more about that shit than I do and 47 years together has proved that to me.
    My big problem with her is when we are going down some street or another and she sees a Gun Shop or range she will make me turn around and go back there and she is "Going In." I start praying at that point for the owner of that shop if she sees something that catches her eye.
    She likes handguns and AMMO, and knows what I shoot and what she shoots.
    If she finds something she is interested in, and she usually does, I will retreat to the outer edges as she negotiates price with them over some item or another.
    Goddam, it is like watching 2 Rabbis fighting over a penny or a foreskin and she will either win or tell them," Fuck you, it isn't worth that much. call me when you are in the ballpark." She usually walks out with whatever she wants leaving that poor shop owner wondering WTF just happened.
    She has an AMMO Fort that would make ArmyJerry proud.

I honestly do not know whether to "like" that or "laugh" at that. We really need more reacts in forums and social media.
    Much respect to people who can haggle, but sometimes I feel bad for people on the other end of a rough one.

I handle the joint finances in our house, simply because I started it all and he moved in with me after deployment (I lived alone for a couple years), and my brain works like that. But we have our separate, too. Works for us. If the joint stuff needs more during a bad month, we sort out who puts in.

We fuss over enough stuff. Do not want to fuss over money.

Welcome to the Hide. Trigger is a lucky man. If ya'll get down Charlottesville way Ill buy (the first) BEER.

I reckon Trigger Monkey has her medication dialed in just right.....😝....

Should be a sticky for all the squeaks that post about hiding gun shit, lying about gun shit, asking to buy gun shit, rationalizing the above squeak measures to appease the other half so as not to get into any kind of dispute about the gun shit....🤮

Gotta go members....a brown truck just pulled up and my wife has been working from home for several weeks now....hopefully she doesn't see me squeaking, I mean sneaking out there....

She ended up with one arm, never married, and was probably a bitch until the day she died....just sayin'

That is often the case when you dedicate your life to revenge above all else.
    I'm not saying it's wrong, just that most find revenge doesn't ever let go of you once you get married to it.

I reckon Trigger Monkey has her medication dialed in just right.....😝....

Should be a sticky for all the squeaks that post about hiding gun shit, lying about gun shit, asking to buy gun shit, rationalizing the above squeak measures to appease the other half so as not to get into any kind of dispute about the gun shit....🤮

Gotta go members....a brown truck just pulled up and my wife has been working from home for several weeks now....hopefully she doesn't see me squeaking, I mean sneaking out there....

We literally have gun shit all over the damn house..

My Wife and I (and our two adult grandchildren who live with us) all have access to our accounts. We have two accounts; one for current expenses, and one for capital expenses/contingency funds. It is based on trust and the concept that most everything works when people talk.

We all discuss our intentions and seek consensus. Often a purchase will become desirable, but better postponed, and almost never is it denied unilaterally.

My Wife does the actual banking and the bills; but I sub for her from time to time, simply to keep up my ability do do so. At my age, not doing so can become a sword in the wrong hands.

This is different from the separate, divided accounts. IMHO, the two approaches are diametrically opposite.

The one is constructive, and the other is divided and possibly divisive.

My Wife and I will be married 50 years two months from now.

I think the longevity and the financial approach are complementary.

To each their own...

Greg

Last edited:
    LaraCroft, It was posted as kind as I could. My Squaw does not run this show, nor do I, it is a mutual thing and has been for many years. I would guess that over all of these years , 47, we have figured each other out, but it has taken many years. We never fight or say cross words at each other. Very few people can say that.

So don't overthink it, give it a laugh and a like as a little bit of humor was in there.

If you are going to hang out here, grow some thick skin. These sonsabitches in the Pit are some gross fuckers and they will tell you like it is.

I took me until later in life to find the "Sweet Young Tomata" I was willing to spend the rest of my life with but I did find her and she has lived with me through thick and thin from that time until now.

I will never be comfortable with her when she starts out on her negotiations over something or another. I retreat to a corner and just listen.
    In that corner I will find a Scotch guy or two and at the very least least a Rabbi or two taking lessons and making notes.

She is tough to deal with but will always treat you fairly. She will also tell you when you are overpaying. What more could you ask for?

LaraCroft, It was posted as kind as I could. My Squaw does not run this show, nor do I, it is a mutual thing and has been for many years. I would guess that over all of these years , 47, we have figured each other out, but it has taken many years. We never fight or say cross words at each other. Very few people can say that.

So don't overthink it, give it a laugh and a like as a little bit of humor was in there.

If you are going to hang out here, grow some thick skin. These sonsabitches in the Pit are some gross fuckers and they will tell you like it is.

I took me until later in life to find the "Sweet Young Tomata" I was willing to spend the rest of my life with but I did find her and she has lived with me through thick and thin from that time until now.

I will never be comfortable with her when she starts out on her negotiations over something or another. I retreat to a corner and just listen.
    In that corner I will find a Scotch guy or two and at the very least least a Rabbi or two taking lessons and making notes.

She is tough to deal with but will always treat you fairly. She will also tell you when you are overpaying. What more could you ask for?

Well, I have survived my husband since 2004. I think I'll be alright 🤣

And you can ask him.. I have my own things to say at times.

BTW, welcome to The 'Hide, LaraCroft.

One of the things that may have helped with the 50 was the resolve to never go to sleep on a problem. It's amazing how much gets resolved during the pillow talk. Everything works when people talk, but that also implies listening.

Greg

One of the things that may have helped with the 50 was the resolve to never go to sleep on a problem. It's amazing how much gets resolved during the pillow talk. Everything works when people talk, but that also implies listening.

Greg

50 years!, An early congratulations, you old geezer...from another geezer.

Greg

I will admit, I will get mad, so mad and not want to talk about stuff. Not even want to look at someone. Sometimes, I don't even want to hear someone breathe 🤣
    But, people force me to talk before I go to bed 🙄
    But, it does help. It is good advice and I would recommend it, too.

And congrats to both you "geezers" on 50 years!

I will admit, I will get mad, so mad and not want to talk about stuff. Not even want to look at someone. Sometimes, I don't even want to hear someone breathe 🤣
    But, people force me to talk before I go to bed 🙄
    But, it does help. It is good advice and I would recommend it, too.

And congrats to both you "geezers" on 50 years!

1588879214765.png

LaraCroft, you're not sounding all that different right now from how we got our start. It takes a lot of time to find the right approach, and it's something only the two can devise. So long as the bridges remain sturdy, all else can be dealt with.

Our better years began once the nest finally emptied and we could be ourselves together.

That improved greatly when our adult Grandkiddos joined us; leaving NY like we did, and coming on down and over to AZ. We'd always been within walking distance until we left NY, now we're even closer.

But enough about life counseling. We're all here to improve our shooting, right?

Greg

PS When things fall flat, my favorite saying is about how "Some days, life is that way...". Tomorrow has always come...

It's not about he and she, it's about we.

Last edited:
    LaraCroft, you're not sounding all that different right now from how we got our start. It takes a lot of time to find the right approach, and it's something only the two can devise. So long as the bridges remain sturdy, all else can be dealt with.

Our better years began once the nest finally emptied and we could be ourselves together.

That improved greatly when our adult Grandkiddos joined us; leaving NY like we did, and coming on down and over to AZ. We'd always been within walking distance until we left NY, now we're even closer.

But enough about life counseling. We're all here to improve our shooting, right?

Greg

PS When things fall flat, my favorite saying is about how "Some days, life is that way...". Tomorrow has always come...

It's not about he and she, it's about we.
    Shoot in’ Shit x 2 and havin’ fun all around. 😉🤙

That works. I might be guilty of using that excuse as a nice way of breaking off a negotiation that is stalled and the seller is still priced above market value.

Reactions: LaraCroft
    Lara you sound a lot like my wife she has her flowers and sewing I have my guns, she is a stay at home wife/mother. We always have money in the bank she has her flowers and garden I have my guns. When I want a new gun I will save up for it and she has never said no you can’t have that, I don’t hide stuff from her because we have a healthy relationship. She has bitched at me before when the big brown truck drops off 3000 bullets and she has to load them in the car but that’s about it. You have to respect each other and also be willing to give as well as take