• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So my wife stole my Nox

GreenMushroom

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2020
Washington
I bought a nox18 and the wife has really taken a shine to it. This leaves me with a single pvs14 and a coti. Strongly considering a second nox18 but don't want to get tunnel vision. With this setup and 6k give or take what would you do?

Eta I don't hunt.

Reactions: rusell7
Terrible problem to have :eek: ... but we can help get you a second Nox to solve it !!! When do you need it !? :)

Reactions: powdahound76
Never complain about a woman who shoots and snags shooting gear.
Thats just awesome.

I know and I'm lucky she's into the whole night vision thing. I got the coti for her but after a few minutes with the nox the coti was declared to be "stupid" which is a death sentence at my house and now my plans are in disarray.

... unless @wigwamitus can hook a brotha up ...

Well, we have cotis for $2,500 :ROFLMAO:

==

... I don't hunt ...
... after a few minutes with the nox the coti was declared to be "stupid" ...
Well, if you don't hunt (or do critter control) then the coti is probably not for you. The strength of the coti is helping you shoot with the laser.
The coti is NOT a great thermal spotter, especially not at much distance ... especially compared to the Nox ! The coti is a great short distance thermal overlay to help you engage critters in concealing terrain that might be difficult for the 14 to see.
So, if you aren't shooting things that might be hot with a laser, then sell the coti to help fund the second nox ?

==

Well, if you don't hunt (or do critter control) then the coti is probably not for you. The strength of the coti is helping you shoot with the laser.
The coti is NOT a great thermal spotter, especially not at much distance ... especially compared to the Nox ! The coti is a great short distance thermal overlay to help you engage critters in concealing terrain that might be difficult for the 14 to see.
So, if you aren't shooting things that might be hot with a laser, then sell the coti to help fund the second nox ?

We shoot just don't hunt. My wife only uses one device at a time so I intended her to have pvs14/coti on her head and a hand held scanner/scope. Could be i should just run that setup. Would be easier on my neck. I know the nox 18 or 35 would work well for this.

Guess I'm wondering if there's anything outside the box I should consider. Don't really want to deal with the hassle of selling stuff but if something makes sense I'd do it. We use this stuff for larping and its a lot of fun but its not something we'd ever planned on getting into until recently if that makes sense.

Minimalist setup.
Coti and one 14 on Crye Nightcap. Minimal weight and bulk, maximize mobility. Able to detect critters out to 600yds with thermal most nights.
33438511188_4bacf567a4_k.jpg

==
I like 14s and currently have 3 of them, with a 4th on my "wish list" for this year. That's "against the flow" as most people seem to prefer dedicated binos. The key benefit of 14s is flexibility. You can run a pair of them to simulate goggles. You can add a COTI to the pair of 14s (see left side setup - and you can add a COTI to "some" goggles and even some others with mods ... but can't be added to all goggles).
A thermal monocular can replace a 14 on either side, depending on mission requirements.

51127219964_96a93f1e09_k.jpg

Things 14s can do:

Be run as pair of 14s to simulate goggles
Be run with coti to provide fused image. Good for short distance laser engagement of critters in concealing terrain like thick woods around me.

Run a single 14 with or without coti for light setup.

Run a 14 weapons mounted on a .22LR or 5.56 behind a dot sight, maybe with a 3x magnifier screwed on to the 14. I did this years ago a few times. I wouldn't do it in general as there is risk to the 14. But its an emergency capability.
Can look through a dot like an eotech with 14 or goggles on head, but best with a riser on the weapon to mitigate weapon contacting NV on head. This is called "passive NV" and was a thing a few years ago.

Can wear 14 on lanyard around neck to use if needed. On nights with a lot of moon, I'll do this sometimes. Don't need NV on your head. This is not as convenient with goggles. And in general, I actually like having one eye uncovered on many nights as that dramatically increases FOV and SA ... and you can see better out there than you think you can if you try it. Before I got NV, I walked around on my land with a small red light and a walking stick. And quickly realized I didn't need the red light. The walking stick was more useful to avoid falling into holes or tripping over big rocks. But if you walk around outside for months with no visual aids, you'll gain a lot more confidence about being out there. I definitely recommend it !

Last edited:
This pretty much mirrors my thinking. With the change of plans I've nocked around the idea of binos or a thermal with more magnification but those lack the versatility of the pvs14/nox18. If we're set up with 2 pvs14, 2 nox18, and a coti that offers a lot of flexibility. I want to try the nox more as a hand held. My wife took to this very quickly and thinks its the way to go most of the time. We also have heavy vegetation in our area and the nox is great at seeing through it.

Reactions: wigwamitus
I wish I had your problems, I get the crazy eye when I start talking NVG's and thermals.
I still want to get a COTI and a NOX. Baby steps

Last edited:
Reactions: wigwamitus
I wish I had your problems, I get the crazy eye when I start talking NVG's and thermals.

Nox18 for sure. I've had for less than a week and can't recommend strongly enough. If I could only keep one device it would be the nox. An 18 with a 14 and a laser covers a lot of bases and I think will be a tough combo to beat.

The coti is a nice tool for certain circumstances but is limited. If I didn't already have one It's unlikely I'd be looking to purchase one. I don't really think its worth the scratch unless you are running binos or plan to run dual 14s a lot.

Reactions: stefan73
Glad your, I'm mean SHE is enjoying it :) Appreciate your business, thanks again!

I know all about getting the crazy eye. Approaching retirement & "planning a budget".
Only one thing worse than work, and that is.
No work.
Work makes my show go.

Reactions: stefan73
I know all about getting the crazy eye. Approaching retirement & "planning a budget".
Only one thing worse than work, and that is.
No work.
Work makes my show go.
I retired last year and am working a retirement job so semi-retired.

==

Do you still have coti for 2500? I couldn't find it on your website.

Yes, we have two COTIs for $2500 (each).