• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So the wife bought me a CED M2...............

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
I sold my Shooting Chrony Gamma Master with printer combo here on the hide to fund another project, and I had mentioned to my wife I wanted to try a M2 when I was ready to buy another Chrony in a couple of months. Well Fedex came today with a brand new M2 from Grafs.com. She said that she didnt like how I had to sell the Gamma master to pay for something els.

So anyway. The point to this thread is, God damn this thing is huge! Compared to the shooting chrony, this thing is twice the size! everything about it is just so big!

Is this thing all that its cracked out to be? I mean are these more accurate than the Shooting chronys?

Re: So the wife bought me a CED M2...............

There is absolutely no comparison between the two. Get the IR screens and it's even better.

I sold my Chrony when I joined a range that supplied the old Millennium. Bought the M2 so that I could record actual bullet velocities during 1k tests. Its even nicer...

Absolutely love mine. Very accurate for most conditions. I also like the ability to download to your computer.

Do the IR screens do anything when used in daylight? I never use this thing in low light condition.

can someone post pics of thier IR screens, I want to see where and how many IR Leds there are, Im going to try and convert my regular screens to IR myself. I think the $100 they want for them is too much.

I've heard (but not tried it myself yet) that you can use IR chem sticks attached to the skyscreens as poor man's IR screens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard (but not tried it myself yet) that you can use IR chem sticks attached to the skyscreens as poor man's IR screens. </div></div>

Can anyone confirm?

Im sure I can make it myself, I just need to see a pic so I can see where on the screens they placed the LED's and how many.

I doubt that would work. I have the IR screens and the "Sticks" are no different from the regular ones other than they facilitate wires.

I'll get you pics of mine USMCj.

J, could you check one more thing for me, when you power the IR screens on and turn the lights in the room off, do they glow a very dim red? or are they completely dark.

Here's a pic of the screens with the 2 sidearms that have the wires / jacks in them.

DSC_0414-1.jpg

Here it is all plugged up... The only glow was the green LED indicating they were on. The red LED lights when you have a weak battery, but in my experience, you can't see either one of them in the day time... I knew my battery was dead when it quit reading.

I couldn't see the row of purplish lights in the center with the naked eye, that only shows up in the pic.

DSC_0415-1.jpg

The IR screens are really only needed in low light. I mainly shoot early in the morning when the wind is lowest and the sun is just coming up. This is why I got the IR screens. Once the suns up, I take them down and put the normal sky screens. The IR screens will interfere with the natural light and cause mis readings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The IR screens will interfere with the natural light and cause mis readings. </div></div>

You must mean if they're not plugged in right?

I'm a noob at the chrony thing and have a few questions. At my range in front of the benches is pretty much all shade. It's sunny out but the canopy over the benches shades well in front. Do these need to be in direct light to work? I have heard great things about the CED but I like the fact of having a printer like the shooting chrony, ( I can staple the info right to my saved targets) Does the CED have a printer that you can hook up? Thanks much for any help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shepheard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a noob at the chrony thing and have a few questions. At my range in front of the benches is pretty much all shade. It's sunny out but the canopy over the benches shades well in front. Do these need to be in direct light to work? I have heard great things about the CED but I like the fact of having a printer like the shooting chrony, ( I can staple the info right to my saved targets) Does the CED have a printer that you can hook up? Thanks much for any help. </div></div>

Yes it helps to have direct light! Cloudy days and shade will cause problems for the screens to read the bullet passing thru it! There is two ways to make sure your chrono reads! 1) IR screens 2) IR chemical lights too!. yes they really do work. If your range does not have power you will need to get the battery pack for power supply to the IR screens. I honestly just use chemical lights taped to the tops of the screens and have not had any problems doing so!

The new M2 chrono does not have a printer option for using at the range! I do not like this! I have the older version that uses a IR HP printer. I wish that CED would put that option back into the mix! To many shooting buddies like to put loads thru it and then you have to keep track of what the string number was so you can then email the info to them. Pain in the ASS!! With the printer option you just hit print and hand them the info to keep with the loads that they was shooting!

Terry

JRose, thank you. Those look like 950nm IR Led's since the light is invisible to the naked eye. 840's would glow a very dim red (think cheap security cameras with IR band around lense). I didnt realize there would be that many LED's on there, but they are very cheap to buy (like $10 for 100 leds with resistors on ebay)

Now my question is, do the IR screens make the M2 more accurate even in daylight, or will they interfere with the readings.

I dunno, I use my IR screens all the time since I have them. The machine has always performed w/o a hiccup, as long as I had fresh batteries.

Once, the battery in the CPU was low, but still had enough juice to power the unit up, and it did all kind of funky things...

How long does the 9V battery last? Is there a prticular type I should be using? I was thinking the energizer lithium would work best.

I dunno, it damn sure doesn't give you any indications of when it's dying though. When it goes, the sucker just starts doing crazy shit.

I'd imagine it lasts for a while.