• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So what's new with the 338 LM and the AI AWSM 338?

Redhook

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
Due to family obligations I've been completely out of the shooting game for the last two years. Basically locked the safe and haven't been keeping up with the news. When I checked out in mid '09, the AX was just released and there were some rumors going around with regards to the 338 Lapua Mag round and the AI's that were chambered in it. I'm curious to know if any of this happened and how it affects older AI's.

The main rumor was that the .338 Lapua Mag round was changing to meet CIP requirements. Something to accommodate the longer 300gr bullets. Did that happen? Has the brass changed? Or was it just the overall length?

That meant that AI would be making the mag well and magazines longer. Both the AX and the new AWSM platform would be updated to accept the new mags. Did that happen? or are all the magazines still the same?

I think it was still up in the air if the chamber dimensions would change. I.E. a longer lead to accept the longer bullet. Has anything changed there?

Finally, Stacey loosely mentioned that the AX trigger was more of a match style trigger or that a replacement match trigger would be coming and that it might be compatible with the Legacy rifles. Does this exist? I know that there was a few custom triggers done years ago, but these were to be all new.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just trying to get up to speed and these were nagging me back then.

Re: So what's new with the 338 LM and the AI AWSM 338?

1) Brass has not changed
2) AWSM is unchanged & still made
3) New AX338 is only been out a few mths , and it has a CIP lenght mag to suit loading longer heavier bullets . The AX338 is a totally new action design .

Re: So what's new with the 338 LM and the AI AWSM 338?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1) Brass has not changed
2) AWSM is unchanged & still made
3) New AX338 is only been out a few mths , and it has a CIP lenght mag to suit loading longer heavier bullets . The AX338 is a totally new action design . </div></div>

Thanks Chris,
I know the AX has a different mag. So that won't confuse purchasing replacement magazines. Do you know if the chamber lead dimensions have changed? I assume the AX barrels will be different then the AWSM.