• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So... What's the best way of acquiring/building an Vietnam era M40 clone?

tokiwartooth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2012
Hixson, Tennessee
I'm interested in doing my own build. I currently build/barrel my own M14 types, Garands. What's the best way? Buy a standard Rem 700 and start from there? Go for a barreled receiver? Look for one of those Remington M40 commemoratives? have some trade options.. 1903a3, maybe an M1A... Any guidance would help. I also anodize and repair Redfield scopes, so I have quite a number of green Resfields I've done. Most of my sniper collection has started with the scope.

Here are some of my scopes

20130519_125708_zpsf8432ef8.jpg

Some of my collection I've built. Top one is 100% Mitch Mateiko authenticated M25 parts kit I found.
Need the M40 to round it out.

2459F489-0E58-485B-B0AF-37DB16EA004E-4738-000004C0B832FEBA.jpg

As you mentioned there are a few ways to go, look for the correct serial number range on a REM SA and barrel it yourself, or purchase a M40 Commemorative. They pop up every few months here on the HIDE between $1500-2000. There is one on an auction site right now sitting at $1700 new in box.
If you need a correct looking stock there is a website that sells a nice reproduction stock called Accurate Innovations.
With a nice 03 or M1A to trade you could try the looking to trade section here and the looking to buy and post what you’re looking for.

Another route you could go and save a bit of money is buy a REM 700P for about $950, sell the HS stock on it for $200, buy a correct stock for it around $300-400 and your project is done for about $1200

Last edited:
I would buy a Commemorative. It is the easiest and surest way to look and shoot about like an original. I should hold value fairly well. The cost will not be much different than starting with some correct looking parts.

My Remington P, which is an earlier version of the PSS, has a walnut stock that is near identical to a M40. When I bought it at a gun show about 15 years ago a USMC vet ran me down thinking it was an M40.

A Redfield accurange with Matte blue or Green annodized finish would be a wonderful choice IMO. I you have the scope you should be golden for less than $2K and most folks would have to sink twice that in an equal replica. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have an extra, original green Redfield if interested. Has correct rings but base is Badger in 40X style.

I would buy a Commemorative. It is the easiest and surest way to look and shoot about like an original. I should hold value fairly well. The cost will not be much different than starting with some correct looking parts.

My Remington P, which is an earlier version of the PSS, has a walnut stock that is near identical to a M40. When I bought it at a gun show about 15 years ago a USMC vet ran me down thinking it was an M40.

A Redfield accurange with Matte blue or Green annodized finish would be a wonderful choice IMO. I you have the scope you should be golden for less than $2K and most folks would have to sink twice that in an equal replica. Good luck.
What about building off of one the Rem 700 actions that Brownells sells? Do these need to be blueprinted?

Look for a nice six digit action in the proper serial number range about 168XXX thru 322XXX, from time to time they appear on Gunbroker, it comes with the proper high flat safety so that's a plus, the short bolt shroud and it will probably have the metal buttplate as well Pull the barrel, stock, have a smith cut the striipper clip guide, someone here on the Hide was doing that once, a nice Douglas 1/10 twist Varmint barrel, the late Mike Kokolus stock company is still in business, they do have a nice M40 stock, I believe Mike had an original to duplicate. A little coloring flat black on the bolt and trigger guard, a little satin black on the shroud. Honestly can't think of any other way to build a USMC M40 clone, add one of your scope builds and she would be perfect.
A guide that a local smith cut for me

prerequisite metal buttplate, please excuse the swivel stud

this was an old bdl stock that I removed the checkering from, does have the brass reinforcing pin

Last edited:
Figured out what I'm going to do. Dicks has Remington 700 Varmint for $449, and it's parked. Gonna pick one of those up and work from there.

Last edited: