• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing So what's the difference, custom or mass produced?

cobbonthecorn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
So I'm thinking about a long term project, a bolt action gun for long/longer range target. Read and compare has been the way I am learning.

So, for example, Case A, buy a Sako TRG-42. By all accounts it is a reasonably accurate rifle that for all purposes is a mass produced rifle. Without splitting hairs over best price let's call it a $5500 rifle. Alternatively, Case B, one could buy a Surgeon 1581XL action, send it to Krieger and let them build, chamber and fit a barrel to it, add a chassis and trigger, and spend say $4500.

What is the compelling reason for one approach A or B? What additional risks have I taken on by approach B?

Thanks in advance?

Re: So what's the difference, custom or mass produced?

The Sako is a good rifle. But you will get more for your dollar, IMO, with a custom. And you get to have it your way.

If youre talking about 4500-5k you might as well spend it on EXACTLY what YOU want. Not what an expensive factory job costs. For that amount of money go custom and you will not regret it

Mass produced products are fabricated with profit as the first priority.

Custom builders' products are fabricated with fidelity to superior standards as the first priority.

Greg

So far everyone is supporting my first impression, go custom. I'm going to continue to pick and choose, learn and understand so I can start on the project early next year. Thanks for the reinforcement!

I think that you will be more than pleased with your investment if you go custom with a reputable smith doing the build. There are some good shooting factory guns out there, but do they offer the stock you want, the finish you want, or other options that a custom gun would get you?

First, we should understand the meaning of the words "custom" and "mass produced". Neither one nor the other should imply a particular level of quality or functionality, as would be evident if we took one of Savages that I screwed together early in my tinkering career (truly a "custom") and compared it to an off-the-rack Sako or AI (both of which are largely "mass-produced").

If I put my engineering hat on, I would recommend going with a mass-produced rifle if one can be found that fits the specifications and budget. It can be difficult to beat the reliability that is afforded by mass production, as I have found many times in my life (and not just in the shooting hobby). Logic says to go with a custom build only if an off-the-shelf product simply will not work.

But very few of us engage in this hobby based upon logic alone. I like the tinkering aspect, so I tend to build something up to the (low) level of my (modest) skills. Others greatly enjoy the process of specifying exactly what they want, and then patiently waiting for the hand-crafted result. There are many who buy a product to show off the name that is engraved on the barrel or receiver. Some people just want to shoot.

I don't think this answers your question, but I also don't think that anybody but yourself is equipped to provide an answer.

Thanks for the comments. I'm an engineer by trade and do not find the "build" process all that intimidating. (And to your point understand what I will build will almost certainly exceed my skills.) Part of my original question, and I know it was not clear, am I missing something? Specfically, I have read for example a Surgeon action does not require and post-machining once received. A modest expectation given the price. And a company like Krieger should in all earnest be expert at fitting a barrel to an action. So, logic says if you buy a well built action and have a competent barrel maker fit the barrel then there should be an expectation of quality and accuracy. Does that make sense?

By a huge margin, my rifles are mass produced or military in origin. I have only one rifle I could consider calling a custom, and it is based on a Savage action. It is significantly modified, and in its current stage, it's all been done by a professional.

For the most part, factory rifles are available that are configured entirely to my liking, and are usually capable of providing accuracy that's rather better than my best efforts can produce on all but a stellar day.

It was only to indulge a novel application that my current 'custom' ended up in a configuration that needed the help of a professional.

There are some applications that I have voluntarily avoided. They are the ones which require exceptional personal physical performance, or long distance travelling to a location where they can be practiced.

Greg

I would add the ability to use a non-standard chamberings to the advantages of custom. Also, you have the ability to spec out your chamber for specific brass/bullet combinations.

If you have a reputable gunbuilder within easy driving distance, you would also have the advantage of having face to face customer support, rather than having to work over the phone or the internet.

I'm slowly coming to believe that a large part of being a custom gun builder is teaching. Showing people how to get the most out of their handloads, properly maintain their rifle, and troubleshoot small problems on their own.

Choosing the wrong gunsmith is the only real risk involved with going custom.

Thanks! Experience shared is worth its price in gold!