• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So whats you plan

I'm the anomaly. If I'm 50 miles from home, at most I have 2 stoplights between me and the house...and only from one direction.

Just thinking about it: in all three directions that takes me, I cross running water AT LEAST every 4-5 miles. I also have a pistol at a minimum and frequently a rifle too...not that I would really need either in this situation. I do carry cold weather gear during the winter in case of a breakdown, and almost always have a water and fat kid snack source with me too. Absolutely no "get home bag" though, and I don't see me needing one.

I'm far from MCCRES shape anymore, so I figure a leisurely stroll back to the house at about a 3 MPH pace split up over two days, carrying as little extra as possible. Yeah, I'll be hungry...might even get a case of the shits coming in from drinking stream water. But I'll make it back in two days.

Will probably take me longer to recover. I put miles on my work boots daily, but not that kind of mileage. I foresee some bruising and quite a few blisters.

I'd stick to the highway too. There are still enough folks out here with old vehicles that still run and dont have computers...might even get a lift for a mile or two if I ask politely. Definitely don't forsee a Mad Max situation right off the bat.

For those in urban areas...Best of luck.

If your 50+ miles from home and national events stop all transportation? Do you carry enough to get home or think it will never happen?

That's something I think about all the time as my work is like 40 miles from my house.
I keep what I call "the long march home" kit in my vehicle.
It's a bit overly stocked, but has what I'd need to make it home over a couple days on foot.
Food, Water, clothing, shoes, supplies, protection, communication.

It needs work however as it's not yet setup as grab and go, it would take a few minutes to pick the weather / time appropriate bags and leave the rest behind.

I just really hope it doesn't go down in the middle of a 110 degree summer day...

Get warm is easy, get cool, not so much.

Yeah, I'll be hungry...might even get a case of the shits coming in from drinking stream water. But I'll make it back in two days.

Bring water filtration with you as an absolute must have along with some water.

Reactions: Balor
If uncle sugar taught anything it’s when in doubt there is no doubt . If things are dicey stay off roads especially on foot .
Yes we have get home bags - and appropriate tools . Being in northern MI you’d be a fool not to have something like a go bag in the vehicle- hat gloves dry socks fat kid snacks blanket road flair or two .
Yesterday was 33- unusually warm for this AO this time of year . Today the high will be 20 and the low 11 .
The chances of being stuck in snow - ect is far higher than “mad max” but the gear and tools are similar. During a “mad max” type thing - take said gear and toll and get off the roads. Perfect choke point- fatal funnel - kill box or what ever buzz word is cool today . Even 10 yards off the road is better .

I carry so much shit that there is no way I'm getting home with it all if I have to walk. Fuck that. I'll put the Buckstop bumper to good use and make sure dipshits learn why they are called Ram trucks.

I keep sufficient to get home in all rides. However when going farther than 30 miles, even though most parts of Bama are still Bama, I make sure that ride is emp proof and either of those have a very comforting fuel range, w/o having to use a Ga. credit card.
Std carry is map & compass, water filtration, chow, tooling for day or night use, proper clothing ect, ect. As much traveling as i have to do these days at my age, its a bitch loading & unloading each time, but like all things to get something you have to give up something. Peace of mind is worth it to me.

Fortunately, I have enough space in my vehicle to carry two kits -
One, year round necessities to get me home. The second kit is a cold weather ad-on.

I keep sufficient to get home in all rides. However when going farther than 30 miles, even though most parts of Bama are still Bama, I make sure that ride is emp proof and either of those have a very comforting fuel range, w/o having to use a Ga. credit card.
Std carry is map & compass, water filtration, chow, tooling for day or night use, proper clothing ect, ect. As much traveling as i have to do these days at my age, its a bitch loading & unloading each time, but like all things to get something you have to give up something. Peace of mind is worth it to me.
Still living in a fantasy world dominated by dreams of exploding nuclear weapons, I see.

LOLOLOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1911hombre
I'm shocked at the number of people around here that have nothing in their vehicles to aid them in any way. It was -20* here last week and there are times that the pass is closed for hours due to wreckage. If I'm stuck on the pass I'll break out my backpacking stove and have a cup of coffee while eating a chocolate Pop Tart and wrapped in a cozy fleece blankie. My get home bag can get me home, although I'm not anticipating not being able to call for a ride, more like getting back into cell range or to a home or business with a phone.
Around here I won't have to fight my way home, it's a completely different world from my last AO. I've seen state police change flat tires for people. It was like seeing a unicorn.

I'm shocked at the number of people around here that have nothing in their vehicles to aid them in any way. It was -20* here last week and there are times that the pass is closed for hours due to wreckage. If I'm stuck on the pass I'll break out my backpacking stove and have a cup of coffee while eating a chocolate Pop Tart and wrapped in a cozy fleece blankie. My get home bag can get me home, although I'm not anticipating not being able to call for a ride, more like getting back into cell range or to a home or business with a phone.
Around here I won't have to fight my way home, it's a completely different world from my last AO. I've seen state police change flat tires for people. It was like seeing a unicorn.
Seriously! I was at a friend's today and he saw his gf had a tail light out. I told him let me look and see if I have anything in the truck. After moving back packing gear, climbing gear, fishing gear, recovery gear, sawing gear, and a few rifles I arrived at a back pack full of tools.

50+ miles from home and national events stop all transportation

That scenario is exactly why I reside at my homestead. 50 miles to the Big Box stores, top shelf medical care and access to a major Interstate.
The trip home would be a "Walk through the Valley of Shadow of Death"...

i wonder how many people who "prep" for this kind of stuff have ever actually done a 50 mile hike...period.

much less a 50 mile hike humping all the shit they have in their 70 lb "get home bags".
I go backpacking a few times a month and can tell you..it's not many. Friends, customers etc always want to join and it's pitiful. 5 miles with 30 pound pack and they think they are going to die...

I keep a daypack in the rig with everything to keep me comfortable and fed for about 2 days.

If your 50+ miles from home and national events stop all transportation? Do you carry enough to get home or think it will never happen?
Sooooo no one is riding bikes anymore? 50 miles isn’t far enough to keep folks from home. I watch people walk and ride bicycles along the interstate now. This scenario sounds like an inconvenience and annoyance for an able bodied man.

Sooooo no one is riding bikes anymore? 50 miles isn’t far enough to keep folks from home. I watch people walk and ride bicycles along the interstate now. This scenario sounds like an inconvenience and annoyance for an able bodied man.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most folks probably don't carry a bicycle with them as part of their daily commute to work and back package...

Reactions: Two36
In this hypothetical scenario where you can't drive on the roads for some reason.....what makes you think you are going to be a able to bike/walk on those roads?
@mcameron I can't fathom all transportation being halted. I live in the country where the land is pretty flat and riding off road is common. There are no shortages of off road vehicles around here. Horses, donkeys, and mules too. The land around the roads are either pretty flat or wooded. I see no issues unless we're talking about a sink hole with a 50 mile radius. This scenario doesn't play well in this part of Texas. If all transportation is halted, including locomotion, then I imagine we'd all be waiting to die. I just cant see that sort of scenario happening short of an ice storm in which we can still walk, it's just a lot more difficult to do so. What's going to stop me from walking except maybe a severely broken appendage? Forgive me for lack of imagination. I don't watch zombie shows so I'm not sure how this hypothetical is supposed to look with such insurmountable impediments.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most folks probably don't carry a bicycle with them as part of their daily commute to work and back package...
@W54/XM-388 In a survival situation like this, I have no problem taking something that isn't being used especially if people in proximity to said items are dead. When the opportunity presents itself, bike, horse, scooter, lawnmower, tractor, etc I'm on it. Believe me, there are plenty where I live which is Texas. Maybe if lived in San Francisco or Philadelphia I'd be screwed, but we're already country, ride off road, walk through the woods, ride horses, drive tractors, etc. out here. I don't think this sort of thing is a big deal. People ride into mud pits and through water holes for fun recreation in these parts. Now let a real world situation present real obstacles, we keep moving. I've seen people riding jacked up trucks, jet skis, and various boats through hurricane flooded areas. We don't stop for things like that.

Last edited:
@mcameron I can't fathom all transportation being halted. I live in the country where the land is pretty flat and riding off road is common. There are no shortages of off road vehicles around here. Horses, donkeys, and mules too. The land around the roads are either pretty flat or wooded. I see no issues unless we're talking about a sink hole with a 50 mile radius. This scenario doesn't play well in this part of Texas. If all transportation is halted, including locomotion, then I imagine we'd all be waiting to die. I just cant see that sort of scenario happening short of an ice storm in which we can still walk, it's just a lot more difficult to do so. What's going to stop me from walking except maybe a severely broken appendage? Forgive me for lack of imagination. I don't watch zombie shows so I'm not sure how this hypothetical is supposed to look with such insurmountable impediments.

I gather from your replies that you live in probably rural or small town Texas, which is a great advantage.

That's all fine and good, but imagine you got stuck in the middle of downtown Houston or Dallas when the balloon went up.
Even a non end of the world event could easily bring all the roads to a complete standstill and in very short order nothing is going very far, no matter how cool or off road your lifted truck is you might find yourself stuck eventually.

Now you have millions of folks around you that aren't prepared, don't have any gear but probably have some weapons.

You have no problem taking what is not being used.
A lot of others will very shortly not have any problem taking anything they want even if it's in use.

Throw in some bad weather, or extreme heat or panic about some radiation or chemical or biological substance.

Add in the sudden pretty much complete disappearance of any "law enforcement" who will all be just as stuck as everyone else.

Supermarkets and grocery stores not being able to check anyone out or have any power.

Now you've got 50+ miles of a real concrete jungle full of extreme danger to deal with.

Pockets of areas are going to start banding together into local militias with a shoot first ask questions never for anybody they don't know walking by or through.

Walking it back to your home might be quite the march.
You might be able to ride a bike or motorbike for some of the way if you have one, but for some of it you may have to walk or push or swim.

Doing a little walk in an ice storm, no problem.
Walking 50 miles in an active ice storm without crazy amounts of expedition gear... Not usually done successfully, folks that know what they are doing usually hole up somewhere till the storm passes.

^ This is the only real reason I keep horses around. I can do 5x the work off of a SxS with 1/5 the maintenance, but if a scenario where fuel goes away occurs - I've got horsepower. Wife and girls like horses too...so I guess we'll always have horses.

I also keep two, 500-gallon off-road diesel tanks here for the tractors. Use about 600-700 gallons per year...so I would hopefully have 3-15 months on hand at any point should the availability go away. I'd also be trading cows for fuel like mad for a bit...not going to take them to market at that point anymore. Would also cut back on the diesel consumption and maybe give me a little more time.

@W54/XM-388 This is part of what I appreciate about country living. Hundreds of thousands of unprepared people living in proximity to each other is just too much for me. People living on top of each other just isn’t for me. The trade off is that when natural disaster hit, the metro areas seem to get the bulk of the aid. I’ve seen rural areas suffer similar damage to places like Houston, but were not declared disaster areas and received little to no government aid.

I gather from your replies that you live in probably rural or small town Texas, which is a great advantage.

That's all fine and good, but imagine you got stuck in the middle of downtown Houston or Dallas when the balloon went up.
Even a non end of the world event could easily bring all the roads to a complete standstill and in very short order nothing is going very far, no matter how cool or off road your lifted truck is you might find yourself stuck eventually.

Now you have millions of folks around you that aren't prepared, don't have any gear but probably have some weapons.

You have no problem taking what is not being used.
A lot of others will very shortly not have any problem taking anything they want even if it's in use.

Throw in some bad weather, or extreme heat or panic about some radiation or chemical or biological substance.

Add in the sudden pretty much complete disappearance of any "law enforcement" who will all be just as stuck as everyone else.

Supermarkets and grocery stores not being able to check anyone out or have any power.

Now you've got 50+ miles of a real concrete jungle full of extreme danger to deal with.

Pockets of areas are going to start banding together into local militias with a shoot first ask questions never for anybody they don't know walking by or through.

Walking it back to your home might be quite the march.
You might be able to ride a bike or motorbike for some of the way if you have one, but for some of it you may have to walk or push or swim.

Doing a little walk in an ice storm, no problem.
Walking 50 miles in an active ice storm without crazy amounts of expedition gear... Not usually done successfully, folks that know what they are doing usually hole up somewhere till the storm passes.

What you are discussing is exactly what we wargamed on a regular basis out of the basement of the Pentagon a decade or so ago.

Figure any type of home within 8-10 miles of a major roadway will be looted if there is no local militia. 72 hours after the food disappears the real chaos will start. If you live in an urban area near a military base, go there if you can get on.

Etc...

Etc...

What you are discussing is exactly what we wargamed on a regular basis out of the basement of the Pentagon a decade or so ago.

Figure any type of home within 8-10 miles of a major roadway will be looted if there is no local militia. 72 hours after the food disappears the real chaos will start. If you live in an urban area near a military base, go there if you can get on.

Etc...

Etc...
A lot has changed over the past decade. However, some things never change.
I have always felt "location" was a major factor in surviving. In some situations "location" is just pure luck (good or bad).
William R. Forstchen brought out some thought provoking scenarios in his book.

#2- STAY off the danged roads. You can shadow them in most places but stay out of sight.
If you have a ride that is still working should most fail at once, you're going to have a short window to openly travel in. In confusion there is opportunity, make hay while the sun shines.
Those who do not plan ahead, have already locked in their failure plan.
The,
What happened?
Stay here help is coming,
Its not my fault,
Someone save me,
You need to share with me/us because you have so much, those types will meet reality one day soon.
Many carry sufficient tooling to get home no matter what happens, or forced into. Plus many will be riding on either 4 or 2 wheels, vs using shoe leather express. Some may be forced into invoking a saying from the movie Josey Wales,
Captain Terrill: Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Still living in a fantasy world dominated by dreams of exploding nuclear weapons, I see.

LOLOLOL
There's a reason FEMA has courses to about "Solar Weather Disasters."
An EMP doesn't just only happen with nuclear weapons.
If everything with a chip in it goes tits-up - the world we live in is going back to the 1800's in a heartbeat.

If everything with a chip in it goes tits-up - the world we live in is going back to the 1800's in a heartbeat.

FEMA? LOL

Would you rather they didn't plan or prepare for possible catastrophes?

Granted, they appear to be very ineffective as represented in social media, but they actually do help at times.
Ask anybody that lived in FEMA provided housing after their home was flooded...

Granted, they appear to be very ineffective as represented in social media, but they actually do help at times.
FEMA like all groups have their good & bad. Some of their open source gear designed for what if events somewhat works, if you're lacking ability's in many areas.

The world is full of people who don't understand that,... Trouble-------->Never calls for an appointment. Always staying ahead, is much better than sucking hind tit, which many experts do all their lives because xyz will never happen. Yet those same types mostly carry Ins either voluntarily or forced. Why would that be?

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I don't give a shit about what they or any other .gov agency does.

Why? All that tells me is they didn't have a realistic (as opposed to some TEOTWAWKI fantasy) contingency plan. Why would I talk to anyone like that?

Before you ask, I don't discuss my contingency plans with anyone who doesn't need to know. That includes everyone here whom I've never met FTF.

Keep a bicycle in your car. Now 50 miles is only 4 or 5 hours. Plus now there are no asshole cars to complain about you riding in the middle of the road.

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b
I don't give a shit about what they or any other .gov agency does.

Why? All that tells me is they didn't have a realistic (as opposed to some TEOTWAWKI fantasy) contingency plan. Why would I talk to anyone like that?

Before you ask, I don't discuss my contingency plans with anyone who doesn't need to know. That includes everyone here whom I've never met FTF.
While you might not discuss your contingency plans - you sure seem to enjoy shitting on anybody that does.

If you have a ride that is still working should most fail at once, you're going to have a short window to openly travel in. In confusion there is opportunity, make hay while the sun shines.

That's sort of my plan, I figure based on history and human nature if something goes down like an actual decently effective EMP or something else, I'll have a short window of time to get back home in a hurry be it vehicle, bicycle or even on foot before folks start to realize nobody is coming to save them and the real crazy starts.

My best guess is if it happens during the day, I've got until nightfall to be seriously on the way and push as much as I can overnight because by morning folks will be hungry, cold, angry and violent.

Reactions: MadDuner

I think it's going to be a lot more random and unexpected what works and doesn't work and where and all that.
The two big things that are most likely are: The power grid going down hard and staying down. Anything to do with radio communication going down hard.

But remember a lot of that could be done by folks who know all the backdoors to shut down the grid and power and commercial communications.

If all the power goes off, and all the cell phones are suddenly dead and all the phones / commercial communications are suddenly down, was it an EMP? Was it a Solar event? Was it someone logging into the backdoors and shutting everything down? Yes your cell phone can be remotely shutdown on command.

In any case I expect lots of stuff will still be running one way or another.

Keep a bicycle in your car. Now 50 miles is only 4 or 5 hours. Plus now there are no asshole cars to complain about you riding in the middle of the road.

Yes but what if the roads are jammed full of either stuck or disabled vehicles?

Don't expect smooth clear open roads.

Also don't expect to just be totally safe riding by all the people stuck in their vehicles without some of them thinking your bicycle would look good on them...

Yes your cell phone can be remotely shutdown on command.
When I retired my back door that would still be open, if we killed the general populations phones went away. Could I still get access if it was shut down yes, but I don't what to open that door at all. That was the main reason I went into Ham radio with both feet.

Most plans above have some merrit etc

But most of the hypothetical conditions have no one speaking about their family strewn across the town/city

I can walk 50 easy, I used to walk 15 plus a day for 20 years.

Problem is my wife and kids don’t have supplies in their back pack. My young kids aren’t waking 10-12 back to the house.

It’s never “us” it’s the family that can’t be prepared well enough. And if we are 40 the opposite direction. It’s like we are 100.

If they are at home on a Saturday that a different story.

But in a bad scenario, thinking about it …

id tell them to stay near the school for 2 days max and wait for me or a select few homes. If I’m not there is 2 days go knock on a door because I’m prob dead anyway.

Most plans above have some merrit etc

But most of the hypothetical conditions have no one speaking about their family strewn across the town/city

I can walk 50 easy, I used to walk 15 plus a day for 20 years.

Problem is my wife and kids don’t have supplies in their back pack. My young kids aren’t waking 10-12 back to the house.

It’s never “us” it’s the family that can’t be prepared well enough. And if we are 40 the opposite direction. It’s like we are 100.

If they are at home on a Saturday that a different story.

But in a bad scenario, thinking about it …

id tell them to stay near the school for 2 days max and wait for me or a select few homes. If I’m not there is 2 days go knock on a door because I’m prob dead anyway.
Those are things that require detailed prior planning, that most never think about. I'm lucky in the fact that kind of stuff is a none issue for me, to a point. Worrying about where my kids/grand kids are (closest is 527miles) is along those same lines. They know what to do, question would be when all the what if's are added, what then?

Last edited:
I'm shocked at the number of people around here that have nothing in their vehicles to aid them in any way.

Some of you people live in BFE. Most of us don't.

99% of the shit people in rural parts of the west pack in their trucks is useless deadweight in my state.

That makes the problem easier. Law enforcement is the only thing that keeps a lot of us law abiding people from personally disposing of the people that need to be disposed of.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Those are things that require detailed prior planning, that most never think about. I'm lucky in the fact that kind of stuff is a none issue for me, to a point. Worrying about where my kids/grand kids are (closest is 527miles) is along those same lines. They know what to do, question would be when all the what if's are added, what then?
Exactly.

It’s almost worse when they are close because you have to go…no choice

Luckily both my parents are still around

Dad doesn’t move so good but both are very healthy for 80-83

They are 10 miles away more or less.

I know and they know after my immediate family is secured if possible..I’m going there next. If they were in a different state id worry etc but I couldn’t do shit about it.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

I can slow walk 50 miles before FEMA knew a disaster had taken place.
Those on the move stand a better chance of survival than those sitting on the curb waiting for bottled water.

Yep... They can wait for a hand out at the Walmart.
For those on foot, avoid the Walmart. I'd walk a rail road track before a paved road.
My work is 35 miles from home.... but relatively flat.
If I had to walk home from work - I'd need to traverse a couple of rough neighborhoods - but expect the chaos would work in my favor if resistance was met. If bad guys were looking for victims, I'm absolutely positive they would look for easier marks than me.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Many factors

Unobstructed and healthy a man can cover 50 miles in 16 hours. Most American's will not even venture out for 24 hours.
Wear a white hard hat and an orange vest and they will think you are going fix the cable TV..

To go along with that, I would say from when I was growing up, as early as I could remember, as a family, we always had discussions on scenarios and rally points and how to make your way alone to your designated places. We also always carried some supplies, even if the bare minimum, to let us get to where we were going. I still remember making little emergency kits out of soap containers to carry around.

Our plan as kids was never to sit and wait for help or find some random stranger, our plans were always how to get to x supply point and to x rally point and then to x final meeting place.

We also had plenty of thoughts and plans given to if we had to escape and evade from right on the spot wherever it was and what we would do and where we would go.

It's actually pretty easy to get your whole family into it if you make it a fun family activity and practice it and such. Folks baby children today so much that they forget what children can actually do. Children can learn quick and do excellent in things. At 8 I could navigate myself over hills and islands or all around the local cities if needed.

As far as my extended family goes, the ones who want to be prepared are well prepared and I've helped them get equipped.
Those who have chosen the "modern path" well that's up to them and there is nothing I can do to help them other than pray.

Now if I could just get my family members actually interested in Radio that would be great, so far no luck with that.

Many factors

Unobstructed and healthy a man can cover 50 miles in 16 hours. Most American's will not even venture out for 24 hours.
Wear a white hard hat and an orange vest and they will think you are going fix the cable TV..
That's funny. I can realistically do that, but in the country I may be mistaken for a county road crew worker instead of the cable guy. That can also work to my favor if the roads are impassible. That's actually a decent suggestion.