• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns So with a 10 round+ ban...

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
... do the 9mm fans become 45ACP fans? It seems that the two major selling points of 9mm were capacity and recoil. With capacity off the table, 45ACP might be the way to go for EDC carry for big boys who can handle the crushing recoil of a 45 round.

Re: So with a 10 round+ ban...

Always owned 45 acp till yesterday. Just bought my first 9mm. Still have plenty of 45 though.

9mm brass, bullets, primers and "pre-ban" mags will be and always have been so common that a ban will be irrelevant. During the 10 years of the Clinton ban, i was able to purchase P226 and Beretta 92 mags, AR15 30 round GI mags all for less than 15.00 each.

Obama or Fienswine don't scare me. I was able to buy anything during the ban that I could have before or after.

I just hope our current SCOTUS judges all survive obamas second term. If not, and this gets passed and appealed all the way up to SCOTUS, we may all be fucked.

Its funny because I recently sold my 9mm and i'm looking to get a singlestack .45 (P220) to match my P229. Now I just have to part with its MecGar mags and wait for the call from my gun shop.

Crushing recoil from a 45 1911?

My 110 lb daughter carries one and shoots it like a house on fire. For her no rcoil issues.

Why not focus on protecting our rights rather than rolling over and accepting something that hasn't happened yet??

I sold a beloved series 70 gold cup .45 due to my wife of 4 years at the time (25+ now) got so good with it. Even with loads making major power factors. Gal can out shoot most cops in this state. I'll stick to my .40, she doesn't like the .40s&w. LOL! call me crazy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chakup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not focus on protecting our rights rather than rolling over and accepting something that hasn't happened yet??</div></div>

My thoughts exactly.
I do not accept the defeatist mentality & refuse to roll over & surrender.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike1023</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It means I'll be putting all my S&W revolvers on Gunbroker for $2500 each. Take that bitches! Muhahahahahaha!

Sorry, the panic buying has gotten to me. </div></div>That was hilarious!
laugh.gif

Naw...I'll stick to my 9mm's. I like the 9mm.

I'd give a lot of thought to switching to a .45, with an HK45c, P220 or M&P45 being on the short list.

That was pretty much the outcome last time. Many more 45's sold and traded in my area with the hi cap magazine ban. I hope it doesn't happen this time, but I'm afraid its probably a done deal. From what I understand, they will go after hi cap mags (pistol and rifle), "assault weapons" and stopping sales between individuals without going through a dealer and doing the forms and background check. I'm beginning to wish maybe I lived in Arizona. I NEVER saw hicap mags for anything close to a reasonable price, much less $15. personally, I wouldn't count on it.

Why go to 45ACP? Can't handle a 10? ;-)

I think it all comes down to size, fit and control still. Nothing wrong with 10rds of 9mm, and weights a heck of a lot less than 10rds of .45ACP. Throw a spare mag on top of that and the weight adds up. So I think 9mm 10rders will still be pretty popular.

When penis enlargement surgery is developed, would that mean people will stop compensating and .45 sales will go down?
grin.gif

I'd imagine we could see that trend, however, 9mm would still have the advantage of getting 10 rounds into a smaller/lighter package.

One advantage we'll have this time is that more of the big manufacturers are making lots of weapons that hold more than 10 rounds these days. Remington, Ruger, S&W, etc. are all making AR like guns, and lots of money selling hi-capacity handguns. Lots more people are owners of AR's and high-capacity handguns this time around and they will probably be more resistant to a ban.

One thing that killed us in the 94' ban was some manufacturers are reported to have actually supported it (led by Ruger) and it's speculated because they thought it would eliminate the market advantage other companies had as high-capacity handguns and the AR platform were just started to really gain popularity. No one cared about the mini-14 once the AR was available everywhere.

We still have that concern with big companies like Browning, Savage who make essentially no products that would be effected by a 10 round ban or a 94' AWB similar bill. Don't think that those companies don't look at the potential increased market share they might get if their competitors sales are damaged with a ban.

S&W has shown in the past it's willing to cave to gun control pressure, with the ridiculous and unreliable key lock, and the fact that ever S&W is fired for rifling matching before being sold.

A more interesting twist might be some of the companies with the biggest military/leo contracts, they might be "encouraged" to support reduced civilian sales or restrictions if those huge contracts are put in jeopardy under the table.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crushing recoil from a 45 1911?

My 110 lb daughter carries one and shoots it like a house on fire. For her no rcoil issues. </div></div>

I was being ironic.

I don't think there is the political support for another AWB, but I do think that mag capacity limitations and closing the so-called gun show loophole are likely.

The gun show loop hole closure might ultimately get shot down by the Supreme Court as it is pretty clearly a case of intra-state commerce, but we would live with it for years in the meanwhile.

I am putting off my purchase of an AR-15, which was supposed to happen this year. I was going to put in an order for a JP Rifle build. At this point, I don't want to because I imagine they are slammed moving them out the door and the workmanship probably won't be up to snuff.

However... magazines are another story. There is plenty of time as McConnell has said he won't tackle this in the next 3 months with another debt ceiling showdown in the works. Then you have the fight to pass the bill, which would take months, then you have a period before implementation.

Unfortunately, without an up or down vote, we can expect mass panic for at least another 3 months as no one knows what will happen.

I was working in a huge gun store in Kali and was there thru the 89',94'and the 99' bans.I can tell you the 94 magazine capacity ban pretty much spawned 2 things.One was the "mini" combat guns, Glocks,sigs,etc.And the second was the resurgance of the 1911.I still remember when the Kimber customs came out for $575.00 and that started a huge rush from other mfgs like springfield starting to offer "loaded" 1911's,and the high end 1911 market.I never thought that market would thrive like it did,and still is.Most people just figured if they had to limit their mag capacity,they wanted to carry a larger round.When I left Kali and got to a free state,the first thing I did was get my CCW and get a ton of hi caps for all my rigs.

Hate to burst your Kimber bubble but Kimber's been making 1911's since ~1995 and Springfield (yes the current one) has been doing it just a little bit longer. The only "game changer" Kimber had was great advertising about all their "benefits" for cheap. They were excellent at marketing to the new gun crowd, while others were busy just putting out guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biggjake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was working in a huge gun store in Kali and was there thru the 89',94'and the 99' bans.I can tell you the 94 magazine capacity ban pretty much spawned 2 things.One was the "mini" combat guns, Glocks,sigs,etc.And the second was the resurgance of the 1911.I still remember when the Kimber customs came out for $575.00 and that started a huge rush from other mfgs like springfield starting to offer "loaded" 1911's,and the high end 1911 market.I never thought that market would thrive like it did,and still is.Most people just figured if they had to limit their mag capacity,they wanted to carry a larger round.When I left Kali and got to a free state,the first thing I did was get my CCW and get a ton of hi caps for all my rigs. </div></div>

I am not worried about federal but state bills. Our state has lost it's mind and will be losing some people as well as I plan on leaving after I retire.

Yeah that's a good point as well, I think these days a lot of states that are not gun friendly may just take matters into their own hands as well on the gun control issue.

As to the kimber, while I don't think much of them these days when they first started in OR their quality and fit were way beyond anything at the same price point. Once they moved to NY it was all downhill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not worried about federal but state bills. Our state has lost it's mind and will be losing some people as well as I plan on leaving after I retire. </div></div>

Rob our state lost its mind a long long time ago. I should have never came back after my time in the Corps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not worried about federal but state bills. Our state has lost it's mind and will be losing some people as well as I plan on leaving after I retire. </div></div>

Rob our state lost its mind a long long time ago. I should have never came back after my time in the Corps.</div></div>

It is really sad for a state that has such a deep history with firearms. High Standard, Winchester, Ruger, Marlin... all got their start in CT. I can't remember if Colt started there or just has a big plant there like Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael8062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are in Cali and 10 round ban. Got used to it
frown.gif
</div></div>

Well, that's nice. Unfortunatly, I am no sheep, I think I'll fight for my rights instead. I'll be keeping my guns, magazines and ammunition thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crushing recoil from a 45 1911?

My 110 lb daughter carries one and shoots it like a house on fire. For her no rcoil issues. </div></div>

Its no secret that the 9mm recoils less. Imagine how much faster she could be with a 9mm vs the .45!

Unless you are in the Military and currently in a combat zone there is no reason to be worried about having less that 17 in the gun. Very few people in law enforcement have been in long serious handgun fights. I was in law enforcement for 48 years. We had wheel guns, then 45 autos and then 9mm or 10mm. We also carried two extra magazines. If you can't drop the burglary suspect in your house in the middle of the night with a 10 round mag plus a back up mag, then you need to get out to the range and practice some more. The 147 grain hp we carried will do the job. Shot placement is most important consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JesseBB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you are in the Military and currently in a combat zone there is no reason to be worried about having less that 17 in the gun. Very few people in law enforcement have been in long serious handgun fights. I was in law enforcement for 48 years. We had wheel guns, then 45 autos and then 9mm or 10mm. We also carried two extra magazines. If you can't drop the burglary suspect in your house in the middle of the night with a 10 round mag plus a back up mag, then you need to get out to the range and practice some more. The 147 grain hp we carried will do the job. Shot placement is most important consideration. </div></div>

Typical Kali argument. Should we ban ARs as well because they don't serve a "hunting" purpose? Mag capacity has nothing to do with protection against civillian threats.....

Although, consider a dollar crash incident, la riot type incident, or communist brown short confiscators? Heck, try hog control in Texas with only 10 rds in your AR.

Live and let live. If we didn't have criminal safe zones, we wouldn't have mass shootings at schools, post offices, and movie theaters in liberal states. George Washington said, " "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."

And also, ""The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

....and by the way, Kimber always made the 1911 in yonkers, they just used the rollmark tools from the Oregon shop until they got up and running. They bought Jericho in NY, and that is where they started making 1911s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Typical Kali argument. Should we ban ARs as well because they don't serve a "hunting" purpose? Mag capacity has nothing to do with protection against civillian threats.....

Although, consider a dollar crash incident, la riot type incident, or communist brown short confiscators? Heck, try hog control in Texas with only 10 rds in your AR.

Live and let live. If we didn't have criminal safe zones, we wouldn't have mass shootings at schools, post offices, and movie theaters in liberal states. George Washington said, " "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."

And also, ""The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
</div></div>

I think you missed his point. He is not saying that everyone should have only 10 round mags, his point is that 10 rounds is enough for the vast majority of civilian self defense scenarios. And I agree with that.

Now of course, there are situations where more than 10 is better. I think hog hunting is a great example. You will see none all night, then come up on a pack of them. At that time, you better have quite a few rounds in the mag if you are hunting with a 223.

But this is off topic anyway. The point is that hypothetically, if they ban 10+ round mags, is that a shot in the arm for the 45ACP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I think you missed his point. He is not saying that everyone should have only 10 round mags, his point is that 10 rounds is enough for the vast majority of civilian self defense scenarios. And I agree with that.

Now of course, there are situations where more than 10 is better. I think hog hunting is a great example. You will see none all night, then come up on a pack of them. At that time, you better have quite a few rounds in the mag if you are hunting with a 223.

But this is off topic anyway. The point is that hypothetically, if they ban 10+ round mags, is that a shot in the arm for the 45ACP? </div></div>

I didn't miss his point at all. Most people don't need a big V8 to get to work and back, so let's put regulations and taxes or bans on big V8s. Most people don't need more than 16 oz. In a cup, so let's ban that. You see how this works?

I have an FNX45, specifically for, among other things, the 15 round magazine. Some states, like the PRC, already have 10 round mag limits. Are .45s the vast majority or pistol purchases? I would venture to say no. For the most part, people are going to continue with the calibers they have, and pick the tool for the job.

I agree Kimber. You don't want to have the government telling you what you "need". That's a slippery slope. There are all sorts of things people don't "need". You want the government coming in your house taking of taxing everything they don't think you "need"? I don't.

You don't need that big TV that uses too much energy. You don't need that big house. You don't need to be having more than 1 kid. You don't need that car that goes over 65mph. Slippery slope.

Good training ^^^

It is absolutely a slippery slope. At first it's the mag size and "assault" barrel weapons. Then its the type of round, next thing you we'll only be allowed to own 22's and shotguns.

As for the 45, I don't really see why it matters. 9mm is still going to be more compact and for some, easier to carry/use. Sure there's ppl out there who chose a 9 or 40 based on capacity. But there's plenty who enjoy shooting those rounds and plenty who believe that the 9 has more to offer in penetration and follow up ability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree Kimber. You don't want to have the government telling you what you "need". That's a slippery slope. There are all sorts of things people don't "need". You want the government coming in your house taking of taxing everything they don't think you "need"? I don't.

You don't need that big TV that uses too much energy. You don't need that big house. You don't need to be having more than 1 kid. You don't need that car that goes over 65mph. Slippery slope.
</div></div>

Slippery slope? I say more like a shear wall of vertical Ice! Give them an inch and tomorrow they will want another inch. Once you give you never get back.

No shit. Look at our stupid state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I didn't miss his point at all. Most people don't need a big V8 to get to work and back, so let's put regulations and taxes or bans on big V8s. Most people don't need more than 16 oz. In a cup, so let's ban that. You see how this works?
</div></div>

What I mean was, I think his point was a right tool for the job argument, not a second amendment argument.

On the second amendment front, Obama has pulled a very clever ploy by creating a new standard. By focusing on "need" and "legitimate sporting purposes," he makes it seem as though guns are legal for the enjoyment of hunters.

This is a man who was a professor of constitutional law, BTW. Who thinks that the Founding Fathers, in writing the Bill of Rights, chose number of two out of 10 amendments to protect the rights of recreational hunters?

BTW... has anyone looked up the definition of infringed? Laws regulating the possession of guns are technically illegal. Manufacture and sales of arms is a separate issue, but laws making it a crime to own a suppressor or Class III weapon illegal without paperwork seem like infringement to me. We have gotten so far away from it, people don't even think of it as a violation of a constitutional right. Let alone the issuing of concealed carry licenses.

I just hope my G32 and G20 high cap. guns come in before something stupid happens. If something gets passed and screws with the transfer of them I will be PISSED!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... do the 9mm fans become 45ACP fans? </div></div>

Nope.

And I shoot plenty of both, but 9mm is still my favorite.

I'm the one laughing at the range. Cost, cost, cost. Do I like the .45? Yup. Do I like the cost of 9mm more? Hell yeah! I have one carry gun in a "manly" caliber, everything else is 9mm. Fun to shoot, and CHEAP to shoot!

Everyone has their preference. I've tried, and just simply don't like carrying full sized pistols around all day. It's not a factor of being "manly" enough to handle a .45, just choose not to.