• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So, you think I should buy a Tikka?!

fnbrowning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
St. Louis Missouri
I created a thread regarding a Remington 700 that I saw offered for sale. Several Hide members objected and suggested that I buy a Tikka instead. So I've created this thread so the other thread doesn't wander off topic.

I'm moving from an Armalite AR10 to a bolt action looking for tighter groups and less weight. Uses: Target shooting. Bench shooting. Intermediate range. High precision fun shooting. This will be a .308 because I have FAR too much invested in that caliber and I'm not starting over.

I'm a little gun shy on the Tikka b/c all I see online are a bunch of cherry-picked is 3-shot groups. I can't get a feel for whether the Super Varmint can hold a group for shots 5 - 10 in slow fire. Increased dispersion is my concern.

I like the CTR 10rd magazine, but the stock seems cheap. I like the Super Varmint slightly heavier barrel but don't care for the thin magazine. And there have been some reports of the SV having a rough internal receiver. So, is the Tikka a tack driver, and will it hold a group for more than 3 shots? LOL!

They shoot fine, the actions are really nice, the smoothest you'll find in that price range by far, and the stocks are pretty bad.

However, before you purchase one, you should know that they have the absolute worst customer service in the industry. The BBB rating for their parent company (beretta USA) is an F.
You'll find hundreds of horror stories, including mine on the BBB site. Just know that if you have a problem with it, you will likely either get no help, or they might steal your gun, like they did mine.

For that price range, a bergara is a great rifle. Tons of models to choose from, and they all shoot about anything you put in them. 700 footprints too, so accessories abound.

Put the ctr in a krg bravo. I’ve owned many of both. I wouldn’t choose any Remy over a tikka ctr. Bergara are typically decent rifles. I have a B14R and enjoy it

Beyond the Tikka you can buy a barreled action. Shop the px if you want to save some $$

The ctr factory stock is decent but not on par with even a bravo
IMG_5098.jpeg

Bergera doesn't snuff the ass off a tikka.

Your best bet is to buy a donor rifle or bare action and build it yourself. Can use take off ctr or taca1 barrels on the cheap or prefit on higher end. Can drop into a matrix or acc or krg chassis. Swap trigger spring. Add a 20 moa rail from a419. Not worth messing with ctr bottom metal or mags.

Attachments

• 20231219_190412.jpg
    20231219_190412.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 92
They shoot fine, the actions are really nice, the smoothest you'll find in that price range by far, and the stocks are pretty bad.

However, before you purchase one, you should know that they have the absolute worst customer service in the industry. The BBB rating for their parent company (beretta USA) is an F.
You'll find hundreds of horror stories, including mine on the BBB site. Just know that if you have a problem with it, you will likely either get no help, or they might steal your gun, like they did mine.

For that price range, a bergara is a great rifle. Tons of models to choose from, and they all shoot about anything you put in them. 700 footprints too, so accessories abound.
I think I came across your story on this or another site. Did you ever contact the ATF and report your rifle stolen??
I'm less inclined to buy the Bergara than the Tikka. Fewer reports of the Bergara shooting as well as the Tikka. And there are good reports of new manufacture Remys shooting good after the barrel breaks in.

I think I came across your story on this or another site. Did you ever contact the ATF and report your rifle stolen??
I'm less inclined to buy the Bergara than the Tikka. Fewer reports of the Bergara shooting as well as the Tikka. And there are good reports of new manufacture Remys shooting good after the barrel breaks in.
No, I'm allergic to contacting federal agents.

Bergaras shoot, I own or have owned a dozen of them, but do what makes you happy.

Reactions: jwood1284
Bergera doesn't snuff the ass off a tikka.

Your best bet is to buy a donor rifle or bare action and build it yourself. Can use take off ctr or taca1 barrels on the cheap or prefit on higher end. Can drop into a matrix or acc or krg chassis. Swap trigger spring. Add a 20 moa rail from a419. Not worth messing with ctr bottom metal or mags.
I think you are the Hides Tikka aficionado! LOL! I've read that Bergera < Tikka elsewhere.

I do not see used Tikkas very often at all, and I want to be ready for spring shooting season. Bare actions are pricy. There are other manufacture recievers that are less than the $$$ Tikka action, but then again I don't want to build a rifle here.

Tikkas sell themselves. Shouldn’t take much to convince you. Based on what you want, the CTR is the best way to spend your cash.
The SV is not worth the extra money.
Get the CTR, throw it in a bravo (or some other aluminum chassis/stock), done deal. You’d be farther ahead for less money than the SV

Last edited:
Tikka
Bergara
Savage
Ruger

They’ll all shoot decent. I doubt there’s any difference in accuracy. (Which will start a fist fight I’m sure…)

Tikka probably hold value a bit better. And smoother out of the box relative to other factory options.

But there’s a lot of satisfied Bergara, Savage, and Ruger shooters on the hide too…

So you came here to have us all validate your choice to buy Remington

I'll indulge you: buy a Remington. It's the bestest with the mostest.

I created a thread regarding a Remington 700 that I saw offered for sale. Several Hide members objected and suggested that I buy a Tikka instead. So I've created this thread so the other thread doesn't wander off topic.

I'm moving from an Armalite AR10 to a bolt action looking for tighter groups and less weight. Uses: Target shooting. Bench shooting. Intermediate range. High precision fun shooting. This will be a .308 because I have FAR too much invested in that caliber and I'm not starting over.

I'm a little gun shy on the Tikka b/c all I see online are a bunch of cherry-picked is 3-shot groups. I can't get a feel for whether the Super Varmint can hold a group for shots 5 - 10 in slow fire. Increased dispersion is my concern.

I like the CTR 10rd magazine, but the stock seems cheap. I like the Super Varmint slightly heavier barrel but don't care for the thin magazine. And there have been some reports of the SV having a rough internal receiver. So, is the Tikka a tack driver, and will it hold a group for more than 3 shots? LOL!
No, don't waste your money on a mid-length action rifle. They're just a Euro Savage.

So you came here to have us all validate your choice to buy Remington

I'll indulge you: buy a Remington. It's the bestest with the mostest.

If I wanted a Reddit style answer, I'd ask one of the #$% over there. Now, what have you got other than snark? Some cherry-picked 3-shot groups?

Now, If you had read the OP, I'm asking about the Tikka here. I'm getting Bergara answers, so I felt had to speak to that suggestion.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigCountry
If I wanted a Reddit style answer, I'd ask one of the #$% over there. Now, what have you got other than snark? Some cherry-picked 3-shot groups?

Now, If you had read the OP, I'm asking about the Tikka here. I'm getting Bergara answers, so I felt had to speak to that suggestion.
Ahhhhh, don't let ole Pirate get up your nose. He's way more betterer than he used to be. Like me, he copped a couple Ban hammers & had to pull his head in a tad. I'd even call gentlemanly nowadays.

Reactions: fnbrowning
You’d be fine with a Tikka. One of my favorite rifles is my CTR in 223. Like others have mentioned, toss it in a KRG Bravo and you’re good to go.

Snapseed.jpeg
Snapseed.jpeg

Here’s a couple groups, both 10 shots. First is with the 40 gr Vmax, second is with a random load of 60 gr Vmax I had worked up with another rifle.

IMG_8982.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

If I wanted a Reddit style answer, I'd ask one of the #$% over there.
Displaying typical askhole pattern: ask if A is better than B then when everyone tells you that B is better all you do is answer back as to why A is.

You get what you give.

Now, what have you got other than snark? Some cherry-picked 3-shot groups?
Buy a Tikka, Bergara, or Howa. Anything over a Remington.

I know I wouldn’t buy a Tikka.

I don’t want bad customer service if needed.

I don’t want a bolt that requires a tool to disassemble.

I don’t want to pay for a stock I will immediately put in my recycle bin.

YMMV.

-Stan

I know I wouldn’t buy a Tikka.

I don’t want bad customer service if needed.

I don’t want a bolt that requires a tool to disassemble.

I don’t want to pay for a stock I will immediately put in my recycle bin.

YMMV.

-Stan
Every one of those issues applies to your typical Remington

Garbage stocks, poor CS, and a bolt that requires a tool to take apart.

Displaying typical askhole pattern: ask if A is better than B then when everyone tells you that B is better all you do is answer back as to why A is.

You get what you give.

Buy a Tikka, Bergara, or Howa. Anything over a Remington.
Never in the history of history has everyone in a room agreed when rating a field of items.

Howa over Remington. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Welp, I found the Howa owner.

In reality tikka=howa=remington=bergera. If you can't do it one, you can't do it with the others. Savage really is trash though. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

These go on sale constantly. This and put it in a chassis.

Every one of those issues applies to your typical Remington

Garbage stocks, poor CS, and a bolt that requires a tool to take apart.
Now that big green is up and running again, we are going to have to wait and see about CS.

Last edited:
Reactions: LR1845
Tikka, all three of mine are nearly as smooth as my impact action. All shoot well, but that is as much on the shooter as the rifle. I have a bergara as well, I like the Tikka's better. I wouldn't buy a new remington rifle. Still have one savage and it is very accurate.

Reactions: stanley_white
You’d be fine with a Tikka. One of my favorite rifles is my CTR in 223. Like others have mentioned, toss it in a KRG Bravo and you’re good to go.

Here’s a couple groups, both 10 shots. First is with the 40 gr Vmax, second is with a random load of 60 gr Vmax I had worked up with another rifle.
Thanks for posting 10 shot groups. Very compelling argument for the Tikka.

At the end of the day, you can argue semantics of who likes what rifle the most, who has the bigger dick, etc etc

Choose what you like. Otherwise you’ll end up regretting the purchase and selling it for a loss to get what you really wanted.

#theend

I might have missed it but what is your budget?

Kadams1563

I don't think it's budget so much as it is features. When you get to the $3000 dollar rifles, I think the chassis is ugly, I don't want a heavy rifle with a truck axle barrel, I want to stay at 20" barrel length, and I didn't shoot last year due to fighting off cancer, so I will not lose another entire summer waiting for a rifle to be built.

So I'm trending toward the production rifles in a box I could buy from Bud's or order from a LGS etc.

Reactions: Jackal66
If you have the budget, get a rem 700 clone custom action like defiance, impact, terminus etc. they have more options for your type of shooting in long run and manufactur support.
The issue with tikka is they don't really have additional bolt for sell(aftermarket one is available, but you may have to some minor modifications to fit if it's a different bolt face), and you might not be able to use all the barrel profiles(contour) as far as I know people normally use 1.2-1.25" shank barrel for their Remington action, tikka can go up to 1.1". You might be able to get a 1.2" barrel but that would depends on your stock/chassis.

Reactions: LR1845

Kadams1563

I don't think it's budget so much as it is features. When you get to the $3000 dollar rifles, I think the chassis is ugly, I don't want a heavy rifle with a truck axle barrel, I want to stay at 20" barrel length, and I didn't shoot last year due to fighting off cancer, so I will not lose another entire summer waiting for a rifle to be built.

So I'm trending toward the production rifles in a box I could buy from Bud's or order from a LGS etc.

Aero Precision is having a sale right now. You can get their Solus bolt action in a 20" 308 in a KRG Bravo for $1349.25 free shipping before tax.
You can also buy their barreled action in a 308 20" m24 contour for $861.75 free shipping before tax. Then you find a stock you want used in the PX or get a deal on a bravo.

The Solus is a Rem 700 footprint option.

There are options and abundant opinions. After chasing this game for years, and saying to myself "I can get by with XYZ" - my advice is don't. Listen to everyone that says "buy once, cry once".

I have owned the RPR, TIkka CTR, Tikka Tac A1, a Howa in their chassis with heavy barrel, APO Rem 700 in their chassis (just like the SH rifle offered a few years back), and the Remington 700 Magpul version in 260 rem. The others have been 6.5 creed.

My free advice: no matter what you choose - get something with a 700 footprint. This game/fun/hobby brings about the desire to make upgrades and changes.

If you have the $$ give the Aero Solus a serious look.

Reactions: fnbrowning

There's your 20" 308 barreled action for $1000 bucks...toss an extra $100 at it and have it in about 2 weeks...and as I said above a trigger and stock of your choice and your shooting a PROVEN nice gun in about a month or less.

As @anon pointed out and I missed this is only the deposit price...full price is $1750...which is still a good deal and the route I'd suggest over any factory rifle.

Last edited:
"700 5R Mil-spec"
Shot over a dozen of these over the years. The worst was probably MOA ish. They were typically 3/4 MOA guns. Some faired a little better. Great option for the money if you can find a used one. Dump the X-mark pro bastage of a trigger and spend five minutes installing the trigger of your choice, drop it in a nice stock or chassis and they will run.

Reactions: FuhQ
Tikka Super Varmint $1649 vs. new manufacture Remy Model 700 SPS Tactical Threaded $765.
With the prices listed I would go with the Remington and put a better trigger in it . I own both Tikka and Remington .308s , they both shoot tight groups . Tikka is smoother , but there is no difference on paper .

Shot over a dozen of these over the years. The worst was probably MOA ish. They were typically 3/4 MOA guns. Some faired a little better. Great option for the money if you can find a used one. Dump the X-mark pro bastage of a trigger and spend five minutes installing the trigger of your choice, drop it in a nice stock or chassis and they will run.
First 2 things that need to be done with any 700 is snatch the factory trigger and throw it in the trash can. Then re-torque the action screws (45 in lbs. for wood & plastic / 65 in lbs. for HS or chassis)

Reactions: Woodlanddude

Kadams1563

The reason I ask budget is look at getting an action that crept prefits, chassis / Stock of your choice and an action wrench. Can have a “custom” built rifle at home with very simple tools and MUCH higher quality rifle then almost anything store bought

If you were in North Texas we could have you a rifle built by Saturday if you had the action lol.

Im just going to drop in and say that your premise here might be skewed.

"I'm moving from an Armalite AR10 to a bolt action looking for tighter groups and less weight. Uses: Target shooting. Bench shooting. Intermediate range. High precision fun shooting. This will be a .308 because I have FAR too much invested in that caliber and I'm not starting over."

Less weight, target shooting, bench shooting, high precision fun shooting, and 308; does not go together. You could have a great shooting gun from Tikka, Rem, Savage, Bergara etc; but if it isn't balanced, recoils hard, bounces on the bench or prone, crappy factory stock, or you don't have the fundamentals then it will seem like you got a lemon. Im just saying that tighter groups and less weight with a caliber that is considered on the line between light shooting and heavy recoil is possibly going to lead to frustration down the road.

Just my personal 308 experience going from an AR10 I thought was heavy, to a factory Rem700 for PRS matches, to now the Rem action in a weighted 25lbs chassis, TT trigger, muzzle brake etc to make it fun and competitive.

With the price and ease of custom rifles now, I would strongly lean that direction and build it yourself. Don't let yourself be limited by factory offerings.

Reactions: 308pirate
24 shot group with a factory 700 5R Milspec .308… Had I not rushed the last shot (far right pull), it would have been sub-MOA..

FuhQ

That's a great group FhuQ. The last shot doesn't really ruin the mean radius, which is great for 24 shots.

If we discuss your Remy in my Tikka thread, 308pirate is going to get furious with us and accuse you of validating my predetermined choice! LOL!

FuhQ

That's a great group FhuQ. The last shot doesn't really ruin the mean radius, which is great for 24 shots.

If we discuss your Remy in my Tikka thread, 308pirate is going to get furious with us and accuse you of validating my predetermined choice! LOL!
He and I don’t argue anymore. We’ve had our back & forths over the years. Besides, there’s plenty more newbies to haze… 😂

If you aren't happy with the answers you could:

Go buy the new CDG action
Get a prefit barrel from PVA
Get a stock you like
Get a trigger you like
Put it all together yourself.

I’m with the others that have posted to build your own, not sure why you think it’ll take all summer. You can put together a really nice rifle with your choice of components, as far as tools a $70 viper barrel vice and an action wrench is mainly all you need then you have the ability to swap calibers if needed and do it yourself. You can find proof steel prefits for virtually any action for $580. Look thru the px here and find an action and stock or chassis, I’ve bought tons thru here to build up rifles.