• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing So you want to build an Ar15?

11b30b4

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hello everyone, I am new here and I in no way consider myself an expert. I simply have some experience with building an AR. Since I have come to this forum, I have seen a large volume of AR-15 questions about issues that seem to perplex some. I am not inferring ignorance towards anyone, and since this forum is geared towards long guns, I am sure most of you have forgotten more than I will ever know about them. But for those of you who are thinking of taking on the challenge of building and AR I would like to share with you some of the things I have learned through trial and error.

First off, know where to get help and tutorials:
Here on this thread is one of those places, others are Ar15.com, M4Carbine.net, Bigger hammer.com, etc... google is your friend.

Second, you are going to need some tools:
Any normal hammer is good but a brass one is best.
Pliers, needle nose and wide jaw.
Electrical tape (to cover some of your tools to prevent marring the weapon)
4 Drift punch 1/16”, 3/32”, 1/8”, and 5/32”
Armorer’s barrel wrench and a 1/2” drive breaker bar
Ar15 combination wrench or a Telestock wrench tool
Lower reciever vice block
Upper reciever action vice block
A vice
two or three flat head screwdrivers in a variety of sizes from 1/8” wide blade up
an adjustable wrench that can open up to 1”

Next, you will need to decide what kind of rifle to build, things to consider are:
Caliber .223, 308, etc...
Gas impinged or Gas piston
Collapsable stock or full length
Flat top or carrying handle
type of rail system or hand-guards
type of grip and if desired fore grip
Barrel length, and twist
Barrel chrome lined or chrome moly
Flash hider style (sorry California)
Single point sling or other
types of sights BUIS and/or optics
Gas block or front sight post
Color options
Manufacturer of Lower
Manufacturer of Upper

My recommendations, so take from this what you will...
The .223 caliber is what I prefer in an assault rifle
If cost is an issue build a no frills M-4 setup, you can always add to it later
14.5 Barrel length with a 1 1/2” perm mounted smith flash hider
Vltor clubfoot collapsable stock
Daniel Def rail system
Carbine length gas system
Chrome lined barrel with M-4 profile and feed ramps
Just about any lower of decent quality but the (milled from a solid pice of aluminum is worth the money).
CMMG flat top upper receiver “Marked M-4” or “T”, if possible get a matched set upper and lower to avoid some of the tolerances issues.
Pinned gas block not a set screw mounted one, and I prefer the bayonet lug (Again sorry California)
Stag Arms Lower parts kit
CMT enhanced bolt carrier group
Troy BUIS
Don’t forget about things not included already, such as the gas tube and pin or the piston system, and if you are building it why not go to a piston system, the pluses out-weight the negative.

Lastly keep in mind, a good build can be as cheap as 500.00 but normally run around the 800.00 range. Building it yourself is in my opinion the best option for everyone because you learn so much from the process. Knowing how it went together gives you insight into how to diagnose issues like gas systems and misfeeds etc... I always feel compelled to point out that the AR-15 from its inception was designed to be an assault rifle and therefore not a precision instrument. -1MOA is not the norm and to get there you will have to sacrifice several things, such as the ability to shoot just about any ammo, cleaning will need to be done more often and more effectively, and soiled weapons will jam more often because of the tighter tolerances. The cost will be more considerable and eventually things like cryo barrels will need to be outsourced.

So get out there and build some guns.

Re: So you want to build an Ar15?

Admitting that I've never built one, wouldn't going with 5.56 vs. .223 be the better option? We've all heard of possible pressure problems using 5.56 in a .223 chambered AR, but not the other way around. Not trying to pick nits but...

Smith you are correct, however; I was talking about building the weapon not what ammo to buy. The 5.56 and .223 are the same weapon (Same Parts). The difference here would only be the ammo.

Understood, just didn't want someone to buy a .223 chambered barrel during their build and then shoot 5.56 ammo as they may or may not encounter a prob.

Good post BTW.

I just bought an action block, barrel wrench, and hammer with punches. Now im in the middle of my first build, so far so good. I will post when done.

very imformative post.i think that anyone who wants an ar should seriously consider a home build.i dont think i seen these suppliers mentioned so here is the people that are my first two pics in order.m&aparts,and model1sales.com.the last is model one sales,kinda hard to tell 1 from l.these two places sell parts and equipment for ar builders,and they have very attractive prices

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smith934</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Admitting that I've never built one, wouldn't going with 5.56 vs. .223 be the better option? We've all heard of possible pressure problems using 5.56 in a .223 chambered AR, but not the other way around. Not trying to pick nits but... </div></div>

I believe this is a valid point, 5.56 NATO runs a higher PSI then the 223 REM, If you are going to run 5.56 ammo then you need a upper that is chambered for 5.56, otherwise Using 5.56mm NATO mil-spec cartridges in a .223 Remington SAMMI chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe. The 5.56mm NATO chamber would be builder best bet seeing that you could use both the 223 rem and 5.56mm NATO without issues. Thanks smith934.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11b30b4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smith you are correct, however; I was talking about building the weapon not what ammo to buy. The 5.56 and .223 are the same weapon (Same Parts). The difference here would only be the ammo. </div></div>

There is a differance the 5.56mm NATO chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chamber, has a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 Remington chambering, known as SAAMI chamber, is allowed to have a shorter leade, and is only required to be proof tested to the lower SAAMI chamber pressure.