• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So you're worried about being scammed? Stop on in.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I've bought a ton of things off of the EE here and other well establish places over the years. It was usually a bit harder for scammers as we didn't always have shit like Zelle or Venmo (by the way, never never never buy anything from anyone who ONLY takes zelle, cashapp or venmo as that is a 99.757% sign of you getting fucked) that doesn't have any form of protection on them, and generally it was something like paypal or a check or whatever.

Since then other places have popped up online that are used often, but also have their share of scammers, just like SH has.

So what do you do?

Other than the usual things like, buy from people who have been on the site a good amount of time and have feedback, you also reverse search the images they use and if anything ever seems off or too good to be true, it is.

I have now reached a new level in this game. You want to sell me something and I don't know you? Ok...send me a picture of the item, with a note with your screen name on it as well as a tube of toothpaste and a can of soup in the same picture. Don't have soup? Take your shoe off and put it in the picture.

Ever since doing this, I've had people make all sorts of excuses as to how 'their friend isnt sure he wants to sell this anymore' or whatever bullshit.

I think we need to start a picture thread of the shit you managed to get as a verification picture.

My most recent example off of TacSwap. Guy was selling an item he said he had 3 of. Had a picture of 2 of them in the ad. I respond and say I want 1. No problem. We talk about payment. Here's how that went:

Me: Ill take the 1 then. whats your paypal? and could you please send me a picture of one of the units with its box and include your screen name on the note as well as put a coffee mug and a dish sponge in the pic? Thanks

Him: My friends being kinda lame. Says he only wants to sell if it’s all 3

Wait...so all of a sudden its your friend who is selling this, and now I cant buy just the 1 we already agreed to? Yeah..I don't believe you.

Last edited:
    I've bought a ton of things off of the EE here and other well establish places over the years. It was usually a bit harder for scammers as we didn't always have shit like Zelle or Venmo (by the way, never never never buy anything from anyone who ONLY takes zelle, cashapp or venmo as that is a 99.757% sign of you getting fucked) that doesn't have any form of protection on them, and generally it was something like paypal or a check or whatever.

Since then other places have popped up online that are used often, but also have their share of scammers, just like SH has.

So what do you do?

Other than the usual things like, buy from people who have been on the site a good amount of time and have feedback, you also reverse search the images they use and if anything ever seems off or too good to be true, it is.

I have now reached a new level in this game. You want to sell me something and I don't know you? Ok...send me a picture of the item, with a note with your screen name on it as well as a tube of toothpaste and a can of soup in the same picture. Don't have soup? Take your shoe off and put it in the picture.

Ever since doing this, I've had people make all sorts of excuses as to how 'their friend isnt sure he wants to sell this anymore' or whatever bullshit.

I think we need to start a picture thread of the shit you managed to get as a verification picture.
    Prolly my personal favorite to date. Sorry @Novak77 but it was too funny not to share....he claimed it wasn't to scale

59068157-9541-462E-A734-0E25DD179C5A~2.jpeg

My suggestion is just skip all the back and forth with pictures and tell them to pull up a video chat and chat with you and show you the item etc.
    Just about everybody has a smartphone or laptop, or tablet, or computer these days & Skype works on about everything there is also things like Signal or Element and many other video services.

If they say they can't do that, then ask what in the hell are you using to get on the internet to list the item with then?
    Chances are their internet access device has a camera on it, or can easily have one plugged in.

It's also a lot easier to read somebody during a video chat and you can get a better idea of what kind of person you are dealing with and all that stuff.

My suggestion is just skip all the back and forth with pictures and tell them to pull up a video chat and chat with you and show you the item etc.
    Just about everybody has a smartphone or laptop, or tablet, or computer these days & Skype works on about everything there is also things like Signal or Element and many other video services.

If they say they can't do that, then ask what in the hell are you using to get on the internet to list the item with then?
    Chances are their internet access device has a camera on it, or can easily have one plugged in.

It's also a lot easier to read somebody during a video chat and you can get a better idea of what kind of person you are dealing with and all that stuff.

My home PC doesn't have a camera and I don't have any video conference apps on my phone.

Reactions: Snaz and Jim Out

1633108889417.png

Yes, I have an android. No I don't download apps. I don't even have a google account.

You can sideload Signal if you don't want to go to the play store

Or if you don't want to use your phone, just do it on your PC or Mac
    Assuming you have a USB port then you just need something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LKZ27C9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_F0BP4TPKASSHYD7CD5GV

When you don't want to do video chatting, unplug it and all done.

Got this as a reply after returning a counterfeit Surefire. Never seen an m300 with metric threads and an unbranded tape switch. 😂

MN8xVMc.jpg

Yes, I have an android. No I don't download apps. I don't even have a google account.
    I appreciate your Luddite tendancies. Would a simple phone call suffice the security check?

Download an app or buy/install a webcam?

Sheesh

Watch out also for counterfeit websites. For example theres an outfit called arms and ammo. They're website is armsandammo.com. Fake site is armsandsammo.com see the diff? The s after and. Site looked to good to be true even had primers lulz. Searched the name arms and ammo got an address and phone. Called the phone and a lady answers. Me: "hey do you have this 22lr ammo in stock?". Answer "nope don't have anything in stock and by the way theres a fake site using my name"..Me: " Say what?"....."yeah I've been getting calls about wheres my stuff and I have to tell em they got scammed". So check the address in the address bar very carefully. Also do not answer any emails about your apple account lulz. Especially if you don't have one.

I’m going to compile pictures of all your assholes so I can do anal authentication to make sure I’m not getting scammed.

If you don’t have a smart phone apply your wife’s lipstick to your asshole and sit on a piece of paper.

Reactions: thejeep

So what do you do?

My most recent example off of TacSwap. Guy was selling an item he said he had 3 of. Had a picture of 2 of them in the ad. I respond and say I want 1. No problem. We talk about payment. Here's how that went:

Me: Ill take the 1 then. whats your paypal? and could you please send me a picture of one of the units with its box and include your screen name on the note as well as put a coffee mug and a dish sponge in the pic? Thanks

Him: My friends being kinda lame. Says he only wants to sell if it’s all 3

Wait...so all of a sudden its your friend who is selling this, and now I cant buy just the 1 we already agreed to? Yeah..I don't believe you.
    😂😂😂😂 fun times on TacSwap!

I straight up FaceTimed a guy at the UPS store when I traded my zco for a tt. He was new to the site and stuff. He FaceTimed me when he got there and showed the box and I did the same. I have no problem with that when dealing with new or older members, and if they refuse, I’m out.

Reactions: kindabitey
    I appreciate your Luddite tendancies. Would a simple phone call suffice the security check?

Download an app or buy/install a webcam?

Sheesh

None of your business. You can pay me through an escrow.

Nope, never putting up with that B.S. either as a buyer or a seller.

Escrow services have been used in legitimate business for hundreds of years. I'm sorry you're too dumb to know how to use one.

Downsized after I moved and had a good bit of reloading gear I no longer used. Put a few things up for sale, but pulled everything when buyers insisted I use a specific app. Sold some locally and gave away the rest. Not worth the hassle and most buyers wanted to lowball.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Escrow services have been used in legitimate business for hundreds of years. I'm sorry you're too dumb to know how to use one.

If you want to stoop to personal insults, I'd be tempted to retort something... But making personal insults is a bit juvenile isn't it, so perhaps we don't stoop to that level?

I work selling things online for a living and have done so since pretty much the internet first became a thing that was used for business, back in the days when you had to code a website for... Netscape Navigator.

I probably know better than most folks here what the scams are that are going around and how much organized and individual fraud is done against sellers by buyers and how bad it actually is. Hundreds of millions of dollars are lost every year by sellers to fraudulent claims by "buyers," who are only out to scam people. We usually get to find out the latest scams before most know about it. Often before big marketplaces and payment processors have even noticed what is going on.

Try a little experiment, pick the escrow service that you say I'm too dumb to use.

Now go read out their terms and conditions carefully for the sellers.
    Now, without using their services, as a seller, for the most part the maximum I can be ripped off of, is the loss of my product, the cost of shipping it to the "customer" (if shipping), and perhaps about $50 extra just as a little slap in the face.

Now tell me, using the service that you claim is so great, what is the maximum I can be ripped off for by a "buyer" that is a fraudster and is prepared?
    You'll find generally you can wind up being out a whole lot more than just your product. (Remember if the fraudster knows what they are doing, you as the seller are nearly guaranteed to loose the fight with any payment processor or escrow service that keeps and disburses the funds, often long after you think the deal was "completed".)

You can tell who isn't in professional sales as a business, when they go on about all this "poor virtuous buyer" B.S. stuff & how the sellers need to jump through all kinds of hoops.
    Someone who sells for a living will be more like, "I hate bastard buyers. I'll just wait and sell it to someone not all bitchy later on".

You may prefer differently, but when selling stuff for me personally, I'd firmly and flatly refuse to use an escrow service, no matter how good a deal the "buyer" offered.
    I'd rather sell it locally, even if for a bit less, or even give it away to a friend or family, rather than risk the extended losses.
    If the "buyer" is so concerned about things and it's such a big deal to them, they are welcome to hop a spirit airlines flight and come see / pickup the item in person and pay me in cash.

I offer what in my experience is probably one of the best ways to reduce your risk of fraud (pulling up a quick video chat) and you have to then go on about excuse after excuse why you can't do that because "Privacy" while you actually have a smart phone (even if you claim not to have "an account") and are using the internet HA!

But if for some reason you want to refuse to use a simple, common, widespread communication method that easily would weed out 90% or more of the scams and fraud that criminals try to pull here on SH, that's your choice.

If you think a fraud artist can't use an escrow service to rob you blind, well let's hope you don't find out the hard way.

Assuming you have an iPhone or Android phone, Skype is just a couple clicks away.
    As is Signal
    So as someone with no "social media" or "google free services", I have just one question.

Doesn't anyone read and understand the "end user license agreement (EULA) and terms of service (TOS)"?

If you aren't paying for it, you are the "product".

Or as Zuck the Cuck said, "dumb fucks".

Maybe this South Park episode from years ago can explain:

"South Park" HUMANCENTiPAD (TV Episode 2011) - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com › title › tt1884035
    HUMANCENTiPAD: Directed by Trey Parker. With Trey Parker, Matt Stone, April Stewart. After Kyle clicks on the latest iTunes user agreement without reading it, Steve Jobs forces him to be an unwilling participant in his latest project. Meanwhile, Cartman equates his mom not giving him an iPad to sexual abuse.

188524.jpg

Reactions: 308pirate
    So what if I’m too embarrassed to admit I’m only wearing one sock and my Dick was really in the pic?
    Never be embarrassed of a dick pick, Blutroop.

but wearing one sock is weird af

Good deal here

I’m going to compile pictures of all your assholes so I can do anal authentication to make sure I’m not getting scammed.

If you don’t have a smart phone apply your wife’s lipstick to your asshole and sit on a piece of paper.
    So you have escalated from a retinal scan to a rectal scan?

If I ever have a doubt, I just ask to speak to the seller on the phone. It has stopped a few of them dead in their tracks.

One guy had a local ad here in Utah for a Nightforce ATACR. He wanted $1K and said he lived in Addison, IL. I start the conversation with him and he says he can ship. Little did he know that I grew up in the next town over from Addison so I told him my buddy could meet him at the McDonald's parking lot to pick it up. He went completely silent.

Applied from the lipstick tube or from her lips.....confused.

I agree with this, the guy would not do a video call with me, told him to go pound salt.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    In the nature of a scam -- I think I almost got in pulled into a "Secret Shopper" sting of some sort. After several e-mails back and forth with a buyer he finally tells me - the day before the meet - that he's recently moved across state lines and wanted to know if I had a problem with that. I told him I'd gladly ship through a FFL but would no longer do a FTF sale and he backed out. He went on about how others didn't have a problem and that he bought all sorts of guns without other sellers bothering with residency, but at least he never pressured me. Very friendly and all, but I couldn't help but think that if I agreed to meet after that disclosure I would have found myself surrounded by ATF agents and been run off to jail for an illegal sale.

Still trying to figure out if this "seller" for my WTB is full of it. He only joined mid July this year and has 10 or so random posts. Everything was lining up until I asked for follow up photos. He gave me what I asked for then realized the box label didn't match the reticle photo. I even did the post it with name and date which he did but upon closer examination it looked "off". If the seller ends up being legit, I apologize. What do you guys think?

Box says Gen 2 XR and photo is Gen 2 Mil-Dot. Could be a mix up.
    10-01-2021 3 (1).jpg

10-02-2021 1 (1).jpg

10-02-2021 1 (2).jpg

Biggest flag was looking at original photo of scope and the one with the post it. I soon realized it's the SAME EXACT photo but with the table "shopped" a different color. Everything else is the same exact angle and lighting. Then looking at the edges of the white box it looks like it's jagged where things were cut/pasted. Even the post it looks off. Told him to call me aaaaaand silent...
    10-01-2021 3 (2).jpg

10-02-2021 1 (3).jpg

I also did a reverse image search and came up with nothing.

Good deal here

Home boy dropped a "your mom" clap back!!!

doing-your-mom-doin-your-mom.gif

Still trying to figure out if this "seller" for my WTB is full of it. He only joined mid July this year and has 10 or so random posts. Everything was lining up until I asked for follow up photos. He gave me what I asked for then realized the box label didn't match the reticle photo. I even did the post it with name and date which he did but upon closer examination it looked "off". If the seller ends up being legit, I apologize. What do you guys think?

View attachment 7714200
    View attachment 7714202
    View attachment 7714201

Biggest flag was looking at original photo of scope and the one with the post it. I soon realized it's the SAME EXACT photo but with the table "shopped" a different color. Everything else is the same exact angle and lighting. Then looking at the edges of the white box it looks like it's jagged where things were cut/pasted. Even the post it looks off. Told him to call me aaaaaand silent...
    View attachment 7714207
    View attachment 7714210

Top edge of the box is black along the edge from mid M to the E in the bottom pic. Looks sketchy

Reactions: Nate87
    Top edge of the box is black along the edge from mid M to the E in the bottom pic. Looks sketchy
    Yup. Same with the bottom right side of the box. Has a jagged line. And what are the chances of him taking the photo from the SAME EXACT angle on two different surfaces on different days and still have the same lighting and have the scope intersect the letters on the box exactly the same? Nah.

View attachment 7714200
    View attachment 7714202
    View attachment 7714201

View attachment 7714207
    View attachment 7714210

What's wrong with picking up the phone and calling the seller? A couple simple questions should get you the answers that you need.

View attachment 7714200
    View attachment 7714202
    View attachment 7714201

View attachment 7714207
    View attachment 7714210

As "rotatable" the front lens cover is on that scope Im surprised it ended up in the same position post handling.

Yup. Same with the bottom right side of the box. Has a jagged line. And what are the chances of him taking the photo from the SAME EXACT angle on two different surfaces on different days and still have the same lighting and have the scope intersect the letters on the box exactly the same? Nah.
    If you look past the black on top that I pointed out and compare to the top pic, the edge of the box is clear and defined to the end of the box in the top pic. The bottom pic is not and has another black edge.