• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing SoCal fly fishing?

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
Who knows of a place to fly fish around 29 Palms? Or within 3-4 hours of it? I have a 5wt and 8wt G. Loomis with floating line. Im willing to switch that up if the need arises. I'm really looking for streams, creeks or rivers. The closest place I've found is Lee's Ferry and Willow Beach in Arizona.

Re: SoCal fly fishing?

lower owens river in bishop ca is about 4hrs...farther up 395 you have hot creek upper owens river and all of mammoth mountain and even farther up you have east walker outside of Bridgeport which has some big browns in it.
if you just looking for a local river you have west fork of San Gabriel river up highway 39 has some rainbows to 12". 5 wt will be fine for both.
I grew up near Pasadena and fished a lot in the Sierra's. There are some local streams with small fish that i used to fish with a 3wt and 1wt. Small fish but your able to wet a line. San Gabriel probably has a little bigger fish for the area.

Re: SoCal fly fishing?

Did you get out this past weekend? If so where? I forgot to mention if you go to the West for of the San Gabriel River you need to hike up the road that parallels it up to I think the second bridge area. That way you get out of the trash and into catch and release fishing. The lower part they stalk and is more of a put and take fishery with power crack bait plus there is a lot of graffiti in the lower section. Don't leave anything valuable in your car that can be seen through the windows. Break ins happen a lot at least when I used to fish it back in the late 90's early 2000. Let me know how you do. You can also give the east fork a run I have had luck out there too. Above west fork is a reservoir and the east fork is just runoff so it is more open from the flooding during the rains. Lower Owens outside of Bishop is also open year round when the rest of the Sierra's close down. Good Luck