• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Social Distancing at 1500 Yards

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    I posted this video in the 300 PRC thread, but thought I'd post it here too. Took my 300 PRC out for some "extreme social distancing"

I also had my 6mm BRA and got hits at 1500 with it in a lot of wind (albeit against a much larger steel target) - sadly, no video of this.

great stuff.
    questions:

what state/AO?

what is your 300PRC load? what is the SD/ES of the load?

Love this. Could do this all day. Thanks for sharing for those of us not out in the Great Plains but wishing we were...

great stuff.
    questions:

what state/AO?

what is your 300PRC load? what is the SD/ES of the load?

Love this. Could do this all day. Thanks for sharing for those of us not out in the Great Plains but wishing we were...

This is in Cali on BLM land.

Load is 73.4 gr RL 26 in ADG brass. ES was 16 (I think, going from memory) and SD was 6.0 (this I remember). Velocity 2860ish through a 28" Bartlein. I'm probably going to reduce just a little for the next run.

Wind is the devil, it can really make shooting frustrating at times. Impressive to make hits even if it took a minute.

PB

Wind is the devil, it can really make shooting frustrating at times. Impressive to make hits even if it took a minute.

If I'm doing something for the first time (e.g. new rifle, other new equipment, etc.) I want no wind. Otherwise, I think it imparts a nice challenge, which adds variety.

A negative is that it cools you off so you don't think you're getting sun on a day where you didn't double check that you brought sun screen... my nose is almost done peeling, and that weird diagonal sun "tan" line on my right arm will go away at some point.

• Haha
    Reactions: jasent
    6.5 CM 147 eld-m nice day some wind shot out to 1471 yards today no quite 1500.
    IMG_0336.GIF

Meh
    I like the snow!

I don’t miss the northern Minnesota winters but I like the western Washington winters.

Lived south of Seattle for 40 years don't miss it a bit... Soon as i finish clean my rifle i will be in the pool with the grandkids:cool::cool:
    I live in the Vantucky area.
    lots of places to shoot, hunt and fish a short drive away.

Funny I’ve built dozens of pools yet I never get in them.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
    OP
    You should get the camera directly behind the rifle an focus out on the target a bit to the inside and you’ll get some great trace shots.

Reactions: bcrich
    focus out on the target a bit to the inside and you’ll get some great trace shots.

Could you explain "a bit to the inside?"

And normally I'd set the camera/spotter up closer, but the guy I was with was shooting a braked 338 and I wanted to be clear of the blast.

Could you explain "a bit to the inside?"

And normally I'd set the camera/spotter up closer, but the guy I was with was shooting a braked 338 and I wanted to be clear of the blast.
    For spotting trace you don’t want to be perfectly focused on the target, say your target is 1500 I’d have my spotter focused on approximately 1300-1400yards(that’s just a guess as I don’t have a real number) then you had more depth of field in the flight path and a better picture of trace.

Trace will talk to you when a unspotted miss or even hit doesn’t.

For spotting trace you don’t want to be perfectly focused on the target, say your target is 1500 I’d have my spotter focused on approximately 1300-1400yards(that’s just a guess as I don’t have a real number) then you had more depth of field in the flight path and a better picture of trace.

Okay, that makes sense. What are you using for your camera through your spotter?

PhoneSkope or other attachment? I'm using a PhoneSkope and, while it works pretty well, I'm not getting the clean edges you are.

@Rocketmandb that 300 was hitting with some authority. 3/8 thick?

Yeah - 3/8". It works at range, but I wouldn't go bigger than a big 30 cal at it. With the setup, I have two 2x4 ground stakes/holders connected by a 3/8" AR550 plate welded to the two holders to provide protection and rigidity. The same friend I was shooting with on this day was shooting at it in a previous trip at 1100 yards and missed low with his 338. He hit the AR550 plate and actually dented it. Granted, there's no give at the base because the stakes are in the ground, but still... I've shot this at 700 with my PRC with no ill effects.

I like using the 3/8 because sometimes I have to carry the targets and stand for decently long distances, up hills, down ravines, etc., and the weight savings is a huge positive. I am still on the search for the perfect hillside target holder. My Franken-setup works for the target shown here and smaller, but I am going to buy a 24" round gong and the setup (even sized up for the 24") wouldn't work for that.

Can you pound in T posts?
    I permanent set T posts all over in areas and I pull the targets in areas that can’t obscure them enough.

Can you pound in T posts?
    I permanent set T posts all over in areas and I pull the targets in areas that can’t obscure them enough.

I do most my non-range shooting on BLM or national forest land. In the national forest, I'd probably have to sharpen the ends of the T posts because the ground is so rocky that I can barely get my 2x4 stakes in, and even then sometimes not all the way. I usually stack up rocks around the base to keep it steady. T posts would work in most of the BLM land i shoot in - I've got some of the hardware - but I'd have to pull them after each trip.

I'm thinking about fabricating a 2x4 holder attached to one of the corkscrew ground stakes. Not sure how that would work on a hill though.

I like the stabilizer on the back. I've been trying to figure out how to make one that goes at any angle.
    It will. I needed a quick target stand that was portable, folded flat, and work on any angle. I can post more pics if you want.