• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Soda blasting

Victory

Pagan Raider
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2005
Making bad guys nervous
I have rifle with an A4 stock I need to strip real quick. My buddy has a soda blaster. Is that medium strong enough to strip krylon off of the rifle and stock? Any issues I should be aware of before using it?
He also has glass blaster but I assumed that would be a little too abrasive for the gel coat.
What do you pros think?

It will depend on the flow rate and pressure. Ive used a Harbor Freight version to remove rust from the inside of a gas tank and it worked well. Slow but also, no worries about damaging the aluminum. It will probably work but be slow

What about the orange/citrus based paint stripper? I’ve used that before and it works well

Reactions: Victory
That’s what I’ve used before, but had hoped to do it a little faster than that. Only had a limited amount of time tomorrow, and thought this might be a lot quicker.

I’m assuming the glass is out?

No, glass isn't out. It depends what it is though. Real glass bead can be safely used on a lot of plastics (at lower pressure of course), because it's a round(ish) bead that works by impingement (peening), there is no cutting action. The supposed "glass bead" that Harbor Freight and other chi-com sources sell though is not glass bead at all, it's ground glass, which cuts a lot like coarse aluminum oxide. Don't use that on plastic unless you're trying to change the surface finish, but if you're ok with that, it's not going to eat through the part or anything like that unless you really try hard. I'd set the pressure to no more than 40 psi for this.

You can feel the difference between real glass bead and ground glass just by rubbing some between your fingers. Glass bead rolls like little ball bearings (and the light reflection is pretty distinctive), while ground glass feels more like sand.

I agree though that soda blasting will take you a while. I'd be tempted to try laquer thinner, same as I use to strip krylon from aluminum AR parts, but try it on a small spot first. A lot of the plastics used for AR stocks are pretty resistant to solvents, but not all.

MEK or acetone, Goof-Off or paint strippers will wipe Krylon off and shouldn't damage the fiberglass on a McMillan stock.
As always, test in an inconspicuous area first, cured fiberglass is resistant to most solvents.

I've heard of some using Purple Power or similar degreaser as well; never done it but my guess is this would work as well.

I've used soda blasting to take krylon off AR15s with great a success.

Removes the paint with no harm to anodizing.

On a stock I would take it slow and keep your psi below 100 and you should be fine

I've used soda blasting to take krylon off AR15s with great a success.

Removes the paint with no harm to anodizing.

On a stock I would take it slow and keep your psi below 100 and you should be fine

was it quicker than using citristrip and doing it by hand? The whole point was to save me time. I’ve stripped a lot of rifles, just hate doing it.

was it quicker than using citristrip and doing it by hand? The whole point was to save me time. I’ve stripped a lot of rifles, just hate doing it.
lower took maybe 10-15 minutes....upper was maybe 2x that.....so less than an hour all in.....plus no cleanup, just blow it out after.

I just hate scrubbing paint off and dealing with a goopy mess....blasting is much better in that respect alone

lower took maybe 10-15 minutes....upper was maybe 2x that.....so less than an hour all in.....plus no cleanup, just blow it out after.

I just hate scrubbing paint off and dealing with a goopy mess....blasting is much better in that respect alone
Exactly why I was trying to avoid it!