• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Soft Armor Longevity?

dduck44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I have a Point Blank concealable that I keep in the closet "just in case", it's not exposed to sun or sweat or worn for that matter and is stored flat. I've read that these units are good for 5 years then need to be replaced-is that correct?

Re: Soft Armor Longevity?

5yrs is what's recommended (usually) if it's worn 40 or so hours a week...

I've shot vests that were 10yrs old that had been well worn and haven't seen one fail

Like Force said A LOT has to do with environment. Yours should be good for a while yet. A hangar in a closet isnt in an out of humidity/hot n cold temps/sweat an nasty body etc.
A few years back when one of the manufacturers had issues if I recall it was because the material that was used broke down faster than they realized it would.
Like force said I've shot one that was who knows how old. It stopped all but a 357sig...but that lil guy? Don't worry bout that lil guy.
Ok focus....odd thing is front panel didn't stop it. Flipped it around and shot back panel an the back panel did stop it. (Note if i remember right we shot it with 22lr, 40sw, 45acp and 357sig)

It really depends on the material the vest is made of, what NIJ standard the vest was certified under and how it was taken care of.

The materials are one of the major things that determine how a vest will hold up. The Zylon vests were all recalled because the material was breaking down early. A good Kevlar vest will be the best bet as Kevlar does not break down as quickly as some of the other laminates. My vest gets swapped every 5 years per policy but I'm sure that they still have some life in them.

Fwiw, ive taken vests from the 80s and early 90s and shot them with what they were rated for and they all held up fine.

Wouldn't worry about replacing if it's your "just in case" vest.

Like jerseymike said...I've tested 20yr old vests that have performed as rated also.

Keeping it out of heat and moisture as you said you were doing is the key. Will last decades if you keep that up.

Same here shot vests that were between 12 and 15 years old with no failures. Most were worn regularly for the 5 year period that they are rated for.

Zylon had a short life as a body armor product, roughly 1998-2004. There are laminated products out right now, that are also not performing up to expectations. Kevlar is still king.... The problem is that some manufacturer make it hard to tell what materials are used to make up a vest.

Body armor is "GOOD", right up to the point that it FAILS!!

Dont confuse the service life of a vest with the length of the factory WARRANTY.

I think it is the warranty of most manufactures that you will find listed as five years. There will be no mention of the service life.

Search out "Dr. Gary Roberts body armor" to find out some facts about the current trends in body armor.