• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Software/Vista/etc

Chiller

Minuteman
  • Dec 18, 2008
    Sole resident of Mt. Crumpit.
    I have been going back and forth as to what software paackage to get, and what platform to run it on. I would like anybodys practical experience with softwarwe that will run on a Vista based machine and a pocket PC handheld. I wuld like the Trimble Nomad ($2000 is a bit much though). The other issue is I have been reading here and manufacturers websites and it seems that Vista is not widely supported yet.

help......

Re: Software/Vista/etc

I'm a computer tech by trade, and I still consider XP Pro to be the best OS for the masses.

My iTouch with BulletFlight works well for me.
    smile.gif
    The price is right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very mixed emotions on the KAC product. Some say it is great, some think it is a toy. </div></div>

Where are these mixed emotions at? I'd like to read up on it.

I am the developer of BulletFlight. Here is what I believe BulletFlight does better:

1. The calculations are much more accurate. I ran a comparison test, and compared to JBM, an accurate numeral solver, BulletFlight had something like 50 times less percent error difference for each point averaged from 100-2000 yards every 25 yards for a 175 M118LR .308. This is a fundamental. If you don't have this, you have nothing.

2. It has a profile system so you can configure your rifle/scope and those settings live on.

3. The bullet database and BC input are in the proper military ICAO format. Ballistic is in the civilian Metro format.

4. It will calculate actual BCs. Demanding users need this.

5. It has metric and imperial units visible at the same time, without having to change it in an option.

6. You do not need to exit the program and go to the iPhone settings to change options.

7. It gives output directly in scope clicks and other units at the same time.

8. It has a more advanced atmospheric system and does not use that public-domain model.

9. Sight-in weather is factored in and normalizes the zero.

10. It computes bullet stability with a more advanced/modern formula than Greenhil.

11. It does spin drift.

12. It does Coriolis.

13. The table units don't scroll off the screen.

I own both. Ballistic is a fine program of its type (general purpose ballistic table maker). But overall, and for field use, I see no comparison.

http://www.knightarmco.com/bulletflight/

I think what is happening here is people buy a program and then defend their purchase religiously.

rsilvers... I have to say that the app works flawlessly for me.

Not to mention that it is very easy to use. I even tried it out last night with a 38gr remington subsonic in 22LR, and put first shot hits on 6" targets at 100, 150, and 200yds coming from a 50yd zero.

Also works perfectly with my .223 and .308 loads.

Yes, it only works on an iPod touch or iPhone.

Thanks to Harris Publications for this clip.
    Read about it here:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/knights-armament-m110-308/

34039704.jpg

Orkan,

Very cool. I tried very hard. The app is really a lot different in version 2 than the earlier versions. I always plan for upgrades to be free, and there are some more cool things coming out later.

In that I do not own any of the above software, my observatios are based on others comments. One of the reasons I was strongly looking at PC based is most (FFS, Exbal, etc) not only have a PDA interface, they also have a PC interface. I would like very much the ability to field the producct and I would also like the ability to noodle it at home on the PC. I am not sure if this "ideal" platform exists. The other reason I was strongly looking at FFS is that the ability to integrate a GPS into the calculations. One of the wise members of the "Hide" was commenting on the multiple target ability of FFS and that is one of the reasos I was looking at it. Again, I do not yet own one. I am trying to figure out which is the "must have".

Above all else. I do appreciate everybody's input and I am anxious to hear wat others have to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my observatios are based on others comments.</div></div>

Where are these "comments" located?

Since there has been a lot of talk about the new KAC/Runaway BulletFlight application for the iPhone and iPod Touch, I thought I would do a quick review.

I downloaded the app yesterday to my iPod Touch. The app requires that you be operating on the iPhone software version 2.2 or greater. I haven't been keeping up with my updates, so I did need to purchase the update for $9.95. Leave it up to Apple to get their pound of flesh one way or the other.

Since KAC makes reference to their program being based on the Sierra Ballistic Software, I did a quick comparison with mine. Assuming that all conditions were the same the KAC app was within 1" at 1000yards from the Sierra Software. It works pretty much the same way as well.

One advantage to Bulletflight is the inclusion of shooting angle into the calculation. Plus, if you don’t know what your shooting angle is, you can use the iPod’s Accelerometer to calculate it for you. Just hold the device up to the rifle, or a good reason to have it mounted to the rifle, and press the “get” button. I tested this function with a known 22.5 degree angle (see pic) and it seem pretty damn accurate. The iPods zero is on its’ back, so you would have to lay it flat to get a reading, then tilt it up to read the screen. Also, the iPod won’t read more then 60 degrees plus or minus. So, you can’t calculate straight up or straight down. Overall this is a pretty nice function. Granted, there are much less expensive devices to read level.

There are a few bugs that need to be worked out. Especially in the "Simple Calculate" menu. For example, the impact MOA calculation seems to be frozen at +5.1 as shown in the two pics below. Also, when in this menu, you can't seem to change the wind variable. I'm getting conflicting information regarding if this was supposed to be an option or not. The keyboard opens like it is, but the "DONE" button won't work to set the variable. It does change if you go into the "Calculate Ballistics" menu then back again.

The one other thing that I don't like is you cannot change the wind angle. They assume that it is based on a 90degree direct cross wind.

Hopefully, they will work out some of the bugs on the next release. !!!Update!!! The KAC website was just updated showing a free update is coming soon that will fix some of these. Plus they will add variable wind angles, Yeah!

Eric

A new application has been launched for the iPod touch to help gun users line up a clean shot at their target.

The BulletFlight app, which costs £6.99 to download from the iTunes store, has been developed by Runaway App to turn the iPod touch into a ballistics computer which the company says can provide “quick solutions in the field”.

Users can mount their iPod touch to their rifle, and then use the iPod’s touch-screen to tap in details about the wind conditions, ammunition type, distance to the intended target and even the wind speed.

“Unlike other apps, BulletFlight does not output information in table format,” says the application’s iTunes page. “What it does do is dynamically give you the solution you need now to take that shot.”

The application features built-in profiles for three weapons – the M110 semi-automatic precision rifle, the KAC PDW, and the 14.5in SR16 rifle – although users can add more weapons into the app.

“Environmental calculations are based on the Sierra Bullet model,” says the BulletFlight iTunes entry. “Up to five ballistic co-efficients with corresponding velocity thresholds may be used for each profile.”

Knights shoots slope, and they have an Iphone swivel mount for the M110.

Ive got the calc, Surefire shot timer (the heat), and a GPS converter that coverts degrees to MGRS. All said, I could call for fire with my phone. //rockhorns//

The biggest problem with using an Iphone, is a serious shooter will still need a dedicated PDA. The Iphones are just to tempermental and delicate. Hell, my screen wouldn't read my touch on a 34degree rainy night.

From one of the other sites I frequent <span style="color: #3333FF"> </span>

Orkan:

I think Chiller is referring to a P.M. I wrote.

FFS has the ability to designate targets through a number of mechanisms. They include direct ranging, i.e., distance and bearing, as well as using map and GPS data, and acquring data from directly coupled laser rangefinders which output range and bearing data.

Once those targets are put into the system, the program builds range cards which display the targets. Double-tap on a particular target in the range card, and the system switches to the main screen where it displays the firing solution for that particular target.

FFS was designed with military sniper teams in mind, and they often have to deal with multiple targets at multiple distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again perhaps it is dated, I am not aware of a "rugged" iTouch...

There area a few points </div></div>

There is a rugged iTouch:

img5256eds.jpg

Is that truly a "rugged" (Trimble, TDS, etc) or is it a case?

I would be interested to hear. If you could post a link it would be greatly appreciated.

Another concern I have and it is more of a platform concern is the batery life of a iTouch. If I am going to be on the range fo the whole day will the iTouch keep up with me? Do I need to look at alternative power. I do understand that there is a differnece between hardware and software. My concern is even if it is the greatest software available. If the hardware platform is not as robust it becomes the weak link (sorry I am a engineer, that is how I think)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that truly a "rugged" (Trimble, TDS, etc) or is it a case?

I would be interested to hear. If you could post a link it would be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

Just a case, although a rugged one...

OtterBox

YouTube Videos