• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing solar lunar theory

thejim2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
new york, USA
Anybody here have any input or experience using the solar lunar theory for hunting. Does it work?, or is it just a falacy and waste of time to try and hunt using it.

Re: solar lunar theory

I think there is something to it. But you have to hunt when you can. Weather has just as much if not more to do with animal movement so I try to hunt the weather.

There is definitely something to it some of the time.... I know real specific right?

I find that animals that are crepuscular, such as rabbits or deer, are most affected by it. With animals that are strictly diurnal such as quail, it doesn't make much of a difference. Weather patterns affect animals too and can over ride the moon, especially the amount of cloud cover. I have spent a lot of time hunting in both Missouri and Southern Arizona. In Southern Arizona it holds a lot truer than Missouri because the weather is more constant, and cloud cover is much less likely. Thus the moon does a lot better job of predicting animal behavior. In Missouri, you could have three straight days of full cloud cover at night which would override any effect of a full moon because it is just as dark as no moon. Also just because the moon says something doesn't mean you will see nothing. An animal can be pressured into moving because of a passing predator, ect.

All of that said, it is not practical to plan hunting trips around weather because it is not predictable enough long term. Thus get out and hunt every chance you get.

I've never actually hunted using the Solunar table, but I believe its practice is probably valid.

In the duck blind, whenever Angus lies down to take a nap, I tell the guys it's time to break out the sandwiches & coffee & have some lunch. Nothing's going to be flying for a while. Then, after a bit, Angus will sit back up, and I know it's time to get ready.

That damned black lab seems to know when they'll be flying and when they won't.