• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing solar panels ?

recon762

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Bozeman,MT
Hey hiders hope all is well. Quick question on portable solar panels. I have looked at brunton and goal zero. Has anyone had better luck with a different brand? Just looking to charge small camping items ie gps,phone,flashlight. Thanks for the intel, have a good rest of the rest of the year.

Josh

Re: solar panels ?

I have a Goal Zero that works very well for charging small items when there's adequate sun shine.

Do some research on the maker's web sites for output, etc to make sure you have enough output to do what you have in mind.

Mine is a smaller model and it'll do Fir job on my iPhone

Hi,
I was using a solar panel of solar nation brand but now I have change my decision and installed a solarX brand. this solar system is really awesome it stores energy more than all brand and takes less time to charge batteries. I suggest you to install a solarX company's solar panel.
Key word “portable”. Albeit they do “port” them to your house. 🤣

I ran a Goal Zero Nomad 20 and battery (can’t remember name but 35) for a month in a remote hunting camp charging phones and Garmins. It worked great and was better than what others had. Everyone borrowed its use.

Hey hiders hope all is well. Quick question on portable solar panels. I have looked at brunton and goal zero. Has anyone had better luck with a different brand? Just looking to charge small camping items ie gps,phone,flashlight. Thanks for the intel, have a good rest of the rest of the year.

Josh
My buddy just bought this renogy kit, said it works awesome. Seems to be built well, comes with a charge controller and a storage case. Decent price for 200w

Reactions: ashworth
I just looked at the specs. Panels look like they have good specs (kind of bulky though). Just an FYI, I would stay away from battery chargers with PWM charging except for small mobile systems. Instead look for a MPPT system, which is more efficient, and your batteries will perform better. Yes, of course they cost more. However, if you're panels have a similar output voltage to your system voltage, then the PWM is a better choice, as MPPT works better if you have a larger solar array operating at a higher voltage than your system voltage.

Last edited:
I've been using a 200W Monocrystalline solar panels for over a year now, and I'm very happy with it. It's powerful enough to charge my laptop, phone, and other devices, and it's very durable. I've used it in all kinds of weather, and it's never failed me.

Last edited:
IMG_4059.jpeg

a couple buddies and I used the goal zero 10mw this year on an elk hunt. They worked great charging phones, battery packs and satellite messengers, I did see that dark energy just came out with a 15mw that is substantially lighter than the goal zero.

When it comes to portable solar panels for your hunting and fishing adventures, you're on the right track with Brunton and Goal Zero. They're solid choices for charging your camping gear like GPS, phones, and flashlights.
I've had some good experiences with Goal Zero. Their stuff is pretty reliable and user-friendly. Plus, it's awesome to have that extra juice when you're out in the wild.
If you want to supercharge your setup, consider checking out lifepo4 cylindrical cells. They're like the trusty anchor of your gear, keeping things powered up.

Last edited: