• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solar telescope filter for daytime zeroing?

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2011
UT, United States
I had an idea pop into my head the other day and thought I would throw it out there. If a solar viewing filter can make it "eye safe" to stare at the sun with a telescope, could it be added to a night vision clip-on to make daytime zeroing "tube safe"? I've found a filter that would fit my simrad perfectly. It's just a matter of figuring how much light the filter blocks vs the amplification of the nv. Obviously, I would be extremely cautious experimenting (and make damn sure the filter is secure). Ideally, I would prefer to turn up the gain to see through the filter instead of having it not dark enough.

Just thought it could be convenient because night time shooting venues are not exactly common.

On the Sun viewing telescopes, and filtering . I think they use a pretty technical knowledge of specific nm frequencies in filtering with the scopes Obj filter. . I not sure Sun telescope view filter are even adaptable to what the NV image intensifier tube needs to use to perform properly.
'Filtering'.. On Daylight shooting on the pvs-9 to confirm collimation to your day scopes POI zero . I have just used the factory rubber cap with the 2 tiny holes, and I put a few pieces of tape on edges securing it for safety purpose , as It is just to simple and easy, to complicate it more.
This Here ---> in your searching, If you ever find compatible fitting/Diam. size of a photo lens 720nm filter to the big Diam. Obj. of pvs-9/simrad ... that is what I would love to have . a lot of times when out in a flat grass fields with some ambient Moon to cut down on excess light, I will just raise the NV cover 1/2 way on Obj. for viewing . But having a 720m on that BigAss Obj. would be the shit.

Just use a double polarizing filter and turn it almost completely opaque. Or use a lens cap with a tiny hole in it like PVS-14 day caps.

Is that what that tiny hole is the cap is for? How the hell does that even work? It will let some light in, but how can you see anything?

Is this your 1st owned piece of NV ? , just turn Power-ON after you mount your NV in a lite room with the Obj. cover secured . Look at projected image .
My factory Obj. cap on the pvs9 has 2 staggered pin holes . I dont think a Catadioptric lens on it, will get a good image with just using single pin hole in center of cover like a pvs14 Obj. lens .

Is that what that tiny hole is the cap is for? How the hell does that even work? It will let some light in, but how can you see anything?
It’s still centered on the optical axis so you’re technically looking through that tiny hole and now it’s severely restricting the volume of photons entering the intensifier tube. It just makes it possible to test the device in daylight for functions checks.

Is this your 1st owned piece of NV ? , just turn Power-ON after you mount your NV in a lite room with the Obj. cover secured . Look at projected image .
My factory Obj. cap on the pvs9 has 2 staggered pin holes . I dont think a Catadioptric lens on it, will get a good image with just using single pin hole in center of cover like a pvs14 Obj. lens .
It is my first nv. I've had it for a few years but I've only used it a few times so far. Yeah, It works with the damn cover on. I would never have figured the tiny offset hole would work. Nevermind, stupid thread, carry on. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• KIMG1017.JPG
    KIMG1017.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 30
White light filters typically reduce the light intensity to 0.001%. They also typically are designed to block IR wavelengths that could damage your eyes.

Being that NV tubes multiply ambient light and IR to a far greater degree, I would wonder if a filter would work well enough to keep the tube from saturating.

Last edited:
It is my first nv. I've had it for a few years but I've only used it a few times so far. Yeah, It works with the damn cover on. I would never have figured the tiny offset hole would work. Nevermind, stupid thread, carry on. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the replies.
Not stupid thread.. it actually motivated me to grab the pvs9 and gear and run out to some AG acreage for few hours, after my last post . I forgot what a great image this thing has, can make a good clear focus image to 16x power in last nights ambient light conditions .

Next time, when you look threw the unit in daylight or just a lite room with it mounted on the rifle . Slightly 'circular rotate' the Obj. cover Left and Right .
In the past, i have noticed that there is a sweet spot for the pin hole in cover to be positioned . You can rotate the Cap/pin hole position to get a Good full filled projected image. Or you can rotate to a position for a funky hour glass shape image .

Reactions: 912173