• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms SOLD .22 Creedmoor on Bighorn TL3-SA action.

Ankeny

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2009
This is the biggest home spun gunsmith disaster I have ever performed, and the rifle is priced accordingly. I am asking an even $1040.00 (tax season you know) to start and see where it goes from there. The only trades I would be interested in would be towards a quality 1911. I am selling the rifle because I am no longer hunting coyotes.

I had Matt Good of Crosseyed Custom Rifles spin up a barreled action in .22 Creedmoor. The barrel is a BRUX 224 8 twist stainless steel #3 contour finished off at 26” with a recessed crown. The action is a Bighorn TL3-SA with Mesa Precision Arms bottom metal. Finish was a flawless black Cerekote. The operative word is “was”.

I decided to drop it into an inexpensive Grayboe stock with a couple of pillars because coyote hunting can be hard on gear. I bedded it on a hot summer day. You probably know where this is headed. Instead of bedding the stock inside under the A/C, I decided to bed it in my 90+ degree garage. I used Devcon and measured by volume instead of weight and got a little bit on the heavy side with the hardener. Yeppers, the Devcon started to set immediately and I was lucky to get the excess off at all.

The rifle was chambered with a reamer from Pacific and the throat is tight. I have been using Hornady brass and lightly neck turning. The finished job gives .003” clearance and I can honestly say the rifle shoots well under 1 moa with a variety of loads. It shoots the 69 SMK extremely well, and shoots the 80.5 grain Berger way under moa. Round count is under 125 rounds and I have babied the throat by not shooting it hot.

Rifle comes with 96 pieces of brass, mostly once fired. Some are my reloads pulled down. You also get some cheap Hornady dies (not pictured), and everything you need to turn the necks from PMA Tool. I will also toss in several partial boxes of bullets that you can experiment with (actually between the dies and bullets I can empty out a drawer in my reloading bench). I only have two mags, one is a magpul and the other is a steel Accurate Mag. There is a slight hiccup when feeding from the accurate mag, but I think that can be fixed by bending the feed lips. Here are some pics.

To answer a few questions. The trigger is a Trigger Tech. The rifle readily released from the stock. I used Kiwi shoe polish for the release agent. The blemishes on the barrel and action are from where the Devcon oozed out over the half way mark. There is no problem what-so-ever with the metal work other than blems in the cerakote. Not to worrry.

Added some pics. The pic of the top of the stock tells the story. After I sanded the edges of the stock down I spray painted the top edges of the stock along with the bedding black.

Attachments

• right.JPG
    right.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 288
  • left.JPG
    left.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 291
  • bottom.JPG
    bottom.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 258
  • rail.JPG
    rail.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Bighorn.JPG
    Bighorn.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 252
  • TL3.JPG
    TL3.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 22 Creed brass.JPG
    22 Creed brass.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 268
  • pillars.JPG
    pillars.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 162
  • receiver bottom.JPG
    receiver bottom.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 160
  • atock bedding top.JPG
    atock bedding top.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Guys. it's only 7:20 here but I need to get some rest. I am on some chemotherapy drugs that are kicking my ass. I'll answer all of the pm's in the morning.

this is a steal...and i've seen worse...someone got a great buy

Sorry WyFox. I would prefer a local sale, but forum etiquette says the first I'll take it wins. Sold to JoshuaPaul. I know it's a steal but I wanted to get it sold with no hassles today. Mission accomplished.