• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solid Accuracy Tikka Prefit Range Report

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    Last summer (2018) I spoke to Tim down at Solid Accuracy about spinning up a prefit for my Tikka. I chose an MTU style contour finished at 26 inches, chambered in 6.5 Creed. The barrell is SS with a 1:8 twist. I say MTU style because at the chamber, the barrel is not a true MTU contour due to the barrel nut having to fit over the barrel.

I had then purchased four cases of Prime ammo in the hopes that I wouldn't have to reload for this rifle. Well, 160 rounds later, I gave up on shooting the Prime ammo through this rifle. Groups were about 1 to 1.5 MOA on average. Unacceptable.

So, I put the gun in the safe and moved on being I just received my Nucleus and now had a barrel for it.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Barrel is toast on the Nucleus so I started load development on the Solid Accuracy barrel.

Loads are 1x Prime brass, 142 SMKs, FGMM210M primers, and H4350. Four rounds each at 41.2, 41.5, 41.8, 42.1 and 42.4. CBTO is 2.220 and about 20 thousandths off the lands.

Hit the range last night. 59 degrees. Very windy, but the range is somewhat secluded with a large stand of Norways on the north side, which did pretty well blocking the winds, cutting them down to about 2-4 mph.

41.2g and 41.5g weren't anything special. At 41.8 things started tightening up and 42.1 and 42.4 were ALMOST one hole groups as you can see in the pictures below.

Velocities for 42.1 and 42.4 were 2816 and 2812, respectively. I'll split the difference as much as possible on the Chargemaster and roll with it.

I only have some pics of the target, none of the rifle, but will post some up this weekend.

Headed to a place tomorrow where we can reach 800 yards so we'll see how it does.

Not sure why the picture posted sidways, but you get the gist.

TIkka SA Barrel.jpg