• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solid Bullet Recommendation 6.5 PRC

107driver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
Portland, OR
Newcomer to rifle reloading here, just getting set up. I'm looking for a recommendation for solid bullet manufacturer to load up the 6.5 PRC with an eye towards use on elk and hoping to get heavier than the Hornady 143 ELD-X. Rifle is a Seekins Element, which allows for a COAL up to 3.14" but only has a 1:8 twist, so it seems like that eliminates a lot of the heavier bullets that require faster. I have heard great things about Hammer Bullets, but wondering what else folks are liking for accuracy and terminal ballistics. I have some H4831 and StaBall HD so far. Thank you!

How long is the barrel?? Barrel length can help stabilize heavier bullets. I should be getting my 6.5PRC barrel early next year and it's going to be 28in 1-7.5 so I plan on shooting 153.5 bergers.

21" barrel--sorry I ought to have included that information. I like that weight but looking for a solid--monometal.

I have had good accuracy with both the Hammers and Barnes TTSX (approx. 1/2 MOA @ 100y). I’m not totally sold on the Barnes from family experience, but observed results from the hammers are giving me confidence (observed others results).

Either way, I would measure the twist rate and try to match the “heavier” bullets per manufacturer’s recommendation.

There is a lot of good information on loading and selecting hammers on their forum.

Reactions: 107driver
I’ve had good luck with PVA solids in the accuracy department. The 122 has a hollow tip and IIRC there are some pictures in the hunting section where they dropped elk out of a creed.

Reactions: 107driver