• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solid trigger for all round use

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
So I’m finishing up an A.R. 15 build, just need to get a few more parts. Debating on which trigger I want to use. This is going to be more or less a defensive rifle but I do go to classes and I do compete in the tactical games here and there.

The primary uses going to be defensive use though. For that purpose, which direction would most of y’all go for triggers?

I know the majority like Geissele and the number one trigger on my list is the SSP. But I like having options so that I’m not cornered into a single choice. Other ones on my list are the Triggertech duty 3.5lbs flat shoe. But I know some say other TT AR triggers have a super soft reset. Another is the Larue MBT-2S with JP springs.

Only other AR trigger I’ve used is an SSA, some experience is limited.

For "defensive" use I'd personally shy away from light single or two stage triggers and stick to improved GI triggers like the Schmid Tool variants (ALG ACT, BCM PNT, or Centurion AMT). The trigger pull is heavy but smooth and the break is clean so accurate shots can be taken and quick split times are doable too with some repetitions.

For "defensive" use I'd personally shy away from light single or two stage triggers and stick to improved GI triggers like the Schmid Tool variants (ALG ACT, BCM PNT, or Centurion AMT). The trigger pull is heavy but smooth and the break is clean so accurate shots can be taken and quick split times are doable too with some repetitions.
I’ve heard good things about the centurion arms AST too

It's a Schimd Tool variant also, I have the Aero Precision branded one and it's a decent budget option, especially when combined with a JP spring kit.
The Jp springs are what I see mentioned the most
How much of a difference over normal springs other than just pull weight?

It depends on the trigger from what I've experienced. I dropped a Service Rifle kit in with a Schmid Single Stage and it actually made the trigger feel worse so I put the stock ones back in. I dropped the Service Rifle spring kit into the Aero 2-stage and it took the trigger pull weight down about a pound from 4.6 to 3.6 lbs while still maintaining a smooth first stage, definitive wall, and a positive reset, which paired well with the rifle I had set up for 2-gun matches.

Reactions: BCP
Honestly Milspec triggers clean up pretty easily...

Before dropping $100+ on a new trigger.....ide do a quick fluff and buff on the trigger you likely already have in the gun.

Shouldn't need anything more aggressive than flitz paste and a felt wheel...and just polish anywhere you see rub marks.
I currently don’t have a trigger in the gun. I am building this from the ground up.

The duty trigger line from TT does NOT have the same soft reset as the others it's very tactile.
Thats good to hear because the MBT + spring kit is around the same price as a TT Duty anyway and I love how TT's break.

ALG ACT with purple spring. Man is the reset strong! Like pushes your finger forward strong! I have the fastest hammer strings with an ALG ACT even at 4.5-5lbs pull.
And that one is basically a well polished mil, spec trigger, right?

And that one is basically a well polished mil, spec trigger, right?
Yassir

Those unfamiliar with trigger manipulation think I have a full auto gun when I do hammer drills.

Damn do I love a TT Diamond single flat trigger though. For precision stuff. I haven't tested it's hammer string capabilities, but the problem with a light target type trigger is the "Dead trigger" curse. The resets are weak, the travel not great enough for that micro "bump fire" that's occurring within the trigger travel because there is little trigger travel in a light match trigger. My Giessele Super duper whatever the fuck I got is too light for hammer strings, and I get a dead trigger trying to run it too fast.

Last edited:
The triggertech Duty triggers are cheaper than the MBT, go to BattleHawkArmory.com
I just checked on Brownells, and it is $130 and I believe if you use TexasPlinking’s code it is like $110 so you are still right. That looks like a really solid deal right now.

Triggers are pretty subjective. Everything you have mentioned is good, it just depends what you want to do.

The LaRue MBT-2S was my go-to precision trigger for a long time. It's 90% as good as the Geissele SSA for a fraction of the cost. The SSA-E is better but the drop-in cassette triggers start to look more appealing if you're prepared to spend $150+ on a trigger.

When I tried TriggerTech, it was a noticable difference in how consistent & easy it became to shoot small groups. Now I have the TT Diamond & Adaptable in my precision guns, and the TT Competitive in my Recce build. TT makes the closest thing to a bolt action trigger I've tried in the AR platform, and I'm all about it for precision work.

After upgrading my precision guns, I have since moved the LaRues to my general purpose guns and got rid of my ALG triggers (which are also very good - but I prefer 2-stage). I'm worried that if I try the TT Duty, the LaRues might be on their way out the door next.

Last edited:
i have geiselle SSP in my defensive carbines and never had a trigger pull that wasnt intended. some people worry too much.

i use the larue MBR's in a couple of my scoped AR's and one in an AR10 with a red dot. a couple other scoped AR's with G SSA-E's for extreme precision. i would never use 2 stage G triggers in a carbine though. i dont like the rest for fast shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
i have geiselle SSP in my defensive carbines and never had a trigger pull that wasnt intended. some people worry too much.

i use the larue MBR's in a couple of my scoped AR's and one in an AR10 with a red dot. a couple other scoped AR's with G SSA-E's for extreme precision. i would never use G triggers in a carbine though. i dont like the rest for fast shooting.
You wouldn’t use G on general or not an ssa/ssae?

I’ve got a Elfman tactical and a Larue 2 stage. Both are great triggers. If you want a cheap trigger that feels as good as the Larue, check out the trigger kit from Aero. It’s a lot of trigger for 80.00

You wouldn’t use G on general or not an ssa/ssae?

the G 2-stage triggers are not my cup of tee for carbines. the reset and take up throw off my rhythm for double taps or fast follow ups, at times. they are great triggers, its just me and my muscle memory with the take up/reset.

i love the G SSA-E for scoped shooting. the larue MBR is a probably my second favorite for scoped and i can also use those in carbines without the hick-up i get from the 2-stage G's. again, that is just me and not a design flaw.

i think the 1st stage on the G is a little longer travel than the MBR. on a side note, the sig spear LT appears to have a 1 1/2 stage trigger. i took right to it without any learning curve.

hope that's more clear.

the G 2-stage triggers are not my cup of tee for carbines. the reset and take up throw off my rhythm for double taps or fast follow ups, at times. they are great triggers, its just me and my muscle memory with the take up/reset.

i love the G SSA-E for scoped shooting. the larue MBR is a probably my second favorite for scoped and i can also use those in carbines without the hick-up i get from the 2-stage G's. again, that is just me and not a design flaw.

i think the 1st stage on the G is a little longer travel than the MBR. on a side note, the sig spear LT appears to have a 1 1/2 stage trigger. i took right to it without any learning curve.

hope that's more clear.
It does and I agree with you regarding two stage triggers and shooting fast. I prefer single stage for those. I didn’t realize how I felt about them until I saw Kyle lamb talk about single stage triggers, and shooting fast

Reactions: tucaz
It's pretty common knowledge that cassette triggers are a no-go for anything you'd consider duty grade. I don't know why you'd put JP springs in a Larue MBT. I have a few thousand rounds on their lightest spring and it's never given me an issue. It's really close to my SSA-E and if I were looking for a trigger on a budget, the Larue is my pick for sure.

Reactions: simonp
These are definitely gravy days for aftermarket AR triggers. I have been running Geissele SSA-E's on most of my carbines for over 15 years and although I've tried a number of other triggers, the SSA-E is my gold standard. The ALG ACT is a great "budget" choice as well.

For my more precisiony semis, I have a Geissele National Match in a 556 gun and my two 308 guns have Trigger Tech triggers.

SSA-E for all around but haven't tried the TT duty yet. For precision the TT adaptable/diamonds are amazing.

Reactions: PRSDietitian
It's a Schimd Tool variant also, I have the Aero Precision branded one and it's a decent budget option, especially when combined with a JP spring kit.
I use this in many lowers, with great success 👍🏻

hope that's more clear.
for double-taps or fast follow-ups, might look at the Geissele S3G.

Oh also, Wilson Combat makes a GREAT trigger. I have their 3# comp trigger but I hear great things about their 'duty' oriented trigs.

i have SSP’s in my carbines. the S3G’s had a habit of doubling on me if i was shooting prone.

those are easy triggers to bump fire! haha
Same I have a S3G in my 14.5 and that MF’er will let it rip if your not careful.

Have a SDE to replace it when I rebuilt it to a 13.7”

Reactions: 91Eunozs
A crowded market, but concur with the assessment above re: single vs two stage for defensive use…. Go single.

i’ve installed probably at least two dozen ALG triggers of various flavors, and have Geissele triggers in most of my personal ARs, but have been mixing it up a bit lately with recent builds/rebuilds.

Really like the TT AR15 trigger right now; and the discount for Brownell’s version makes it a no brainer:

i-tVx9khG.jpg

Also have an Elftman in my wife’s primary rifle; closest thing to a Jewell trigger in an AR gun that I’ve felt…a bit of a pain to set up, but very, very crisp break.

i-SvP6BbQ.jpg

i-8HvBhZd.jpg

For budget friendly, I recently snagged one of PSAs ‘match grade’ drop in cassette AR triggers to see how it works in one of the ranch guns…. Only a couple hundred rounds through mine, so can’t say it’s the bee’s knees yet, but for the money, it shoots pretty well for under $100:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-ar-3-5-lbs-match-grade-drop-in-trigger-flat-116055.html

116055.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: atomic41
So I’m finishing up an A.R. 15 build, just need to get a few more parts. Debating on which trigger I want to use. This is going to be more or less a defensive rifle but I do go to classes and I do compete in the tactical games here and there.

The primary uses going to be defensive use though. For that purpose, which direction would most of y’all go for triggers?

I know the majority like Geissele and the number one trigger on my list is the SSP. But I like having options so that I’m not cornered into a single choice. Other ones on my list are the Triggertech duty 3.5lbs flat shoe. But I know some say other TT AR triggers have a super soft reset. Another is the Larue MBT-2S with JP springs.

Only other AR trigger I’ve used is an SSA, some experience is limited.

These are on sale from $270 down to $207 at EuroOptic... Add to Cart for the discounted price. I have a few, and for all-around AR triggers, this one is perfect. And that that price, they won't be beat! I'd recommend a set of KNS Precision anti-walk pins, as well.

Hiperfire Reflex, it's the same as their top-shelf competition trigger without the adjustable shoe... try one next to a
Giessele and you'll never mention those crappy things again when talking AR triggers.

I have two, one in my main AR lower, and one in my PCC shredder, each with ~15k on them without a hitch.

Their Hipertouch series triggers work like a medieval trebuchet, it's not a cassette, it's two fairly large springs, they hit harder and are more robust than a standard mil-spec AR trigger, except crisp ~2.5lbs like a good 1911, no shit.

(FWIW, it's also K.Reeves'/John Wick's trigger)

These are on sale from $270 down to $207 at EuroOptic... Add to Cart for the discounted price. I have a few, and for all-around AR triggers, this one is perfect. And that that price, they won't be beat! I'd recommend a set of KNS Precision anti-walk pins, as well.

I have one coming for a 6mm Mk12 build, but how's the reset? I dont care as much if i have a slow firing schedule but i have no idea how they are for faster shooting

As for the hiperfire, i'm a big fan. Had a uintah UP-15 rifle with a genesis and was a big fan

Reactions: FuhQ
I have one coming for a 6mm Mk12 build, but how's the reset? I dont care as much if i have a slow firing schedule but i have no idea how they are for faster shooting

As for the hiperfire, i'm a big fan. Had a uintah UP-15 rifle with a genesis and was a big fan
The reset is ridiculously short and fast. I have a Diamond flat in my suppressed BRN-180 .300 BLK build, and I had it adjusted a bit too light, and while shooting groups, off the bench, I left my finger kind of loose on it, and when it fired, it double-tapped. The other guys at the range just looked at me like "WTF was that...?" 😂 I grabbed my allen wrenches and clicked it up a few notches, and now we're good to go. My point being, reset on them is REALLY short and they are FAST shooting triggers. So, just giving you a heads-up on that. Don't adjust it too low, or you will accidentally get double-taps.

I have a few Velocity triggers, single stage "duty" pull and find them to be exceptional and very consistent. Recently purchased a Geissle SSA for my Sig and I'm underwhelmed. It's solid but I should have stayed with single stage, 3.5-4lb. pull or just kept the stock trigger.

Reactions: JS8588
I've had most all of them over the years.
I can honestly tweak a mil-spec to equal the feel of any of them, but they don't last very well at that level of polishing.
Elf is good, but overpriced.
Larue = junk mil-spec with a bit of polishing.
TT....just a fancy name.
Geisselle.....WAYYYYYY overpriced for what you get.
Blah blah, and so on.

You want a good trigger without spending a bunch get a HammerHead.
Yea I know, you've never heard of them, that's because they don't break.