• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solids vs lead

odoylerules

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
Solids vs lead bullets for extreme long range.

I’m an experienced and accomplished competition shooter out to one mile. I am ready to make the leap into the 2000+ game. I’ve decided to go 33xc, mainly because I’m shooting a Desert Tech rifle and the transition will be easy.

Looking just at published BC’s and running numbers, I don’t see a monumental difference between the solids and lead rounds. Comparing say a 265 Cutting Edge Lazer to a Berger 300. The long range performance isn’t terribly different. Solids are a hell of a lot more expensive though.

For those with real world experience, is solids the way to go? And why? Thanks

Did you figure in how much faster that 256 will be going?

I’ll be building a 338 snipetac this year and will be testing this exact thing. I have 500+ of the Berger’s and will use the badlands bullets to compare to

The Berger’s 300gr g1 is .736
The Badlands 260gr g1 is .841

I don’t see them being close but we shall see

Last edited:
Did you figure in how much faster that 256 will be going?

I’ll be building a 338 snipetac this year and will be testing this exact thing. I have 500+ of the Berger’s and will use the badlands bullets to compare to

The Berger’s 300gr g1 is .736
The Badlands 260gr g1 is .841

I don’t see them being close but we shall see
I’m curious why your using g1’s??

No real reason other than it works for me. G7 works sometimes too but through TRASOL I’ve had good data out to 3360 so far with the g1

Reactions: LastShot300
No real reason other than it works for me. G7 works sometimes too but through TRASOL I’ve had good data out to 3360 so far with the g1
Same experience here. All Point Mass based software (AB, JBM, Shooter, Geoballistics, etc) are extremely sensitive to what G function your BC is, not the same with CB (Patagonia) or Trasol (which uses Patagonia's engine)

Reactions: harry_x1