Solvent Trap Suppressor?

AMGtuned

Just white trash with money.....
PX Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
Any idea on an eta?
I do not. I only loosely follow it on a form 1 board. Its been of discussion lately regarding baffle design in the v1.5 Ti. Doesn't concern me other than the data, I have no dog in the fight. Neat design though, great results

Cclary60

Slinger of Random Goods
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Arkansas
I’ve never personally been impressed by the performance using a form 1 suppressor for pistol calibers, but for the money, the performance of some of the nicer “solvent traps” in larger caliber rifles aren’t bad for the price.

Buzzsaw0311

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020
I'm interested in having a suppressor for several of my rifles. However, I'm NOT interested in the outrageous wait time. (n) I would like to build/buy a Solvent Trap and go with the Form 1 method. All of my rifles are 243 caliber or smaller, so a 30 caliber suppressor should cover everything.

I prefer titanium or stainless steel material. I don't think aircraft aluminum would last as long, but I could be wrong.
I've done some research and found that some solvent traps are anywhere from $200 to $600 price range...and higher. :rolleyes:

Which brand/model would you recommend?

I'm open to suggestions. :)
Your experience and knowledge is appreciated.
Bowhunter57
I went with KM Tactical

Bubs

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2020
Filed / paid for my six (6) Form-1’s (4x silencers, 2x SBRs) on June 5. Not a peep since then. ☹

Quick question — which cones are more effective? Stepped or smooth? 50 or 60? For 5.56 / 7.62.
I found 50s are better for 5.56,but chamber size is the the real secret.

token3495

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2013
Before, I would build form 1 clone cans while waiting on Form 4's but now I've been shifting toward Form 1's. I've built a couple 9mm cans for my SD and recently built a 5" can (sandman K clone) for my SBR with a Quelltech tube and 5 WTT 50's (3 heat treated stainless, 2 titanium).

So far Quell Tech's Flo Kit has been a good performer for supers which I have on order. Also check out dino precision. Their cup design is showing promise.

105gr

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
ohio
I have an all aluminum kit on my 6.5CM. About 400rnds through it and no issues. I'll follow up if issues come up. Got it from ANL in AZ.

Praetorian_6

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
My buddy wants me to join him in a group purchase on some no-name cheap solvent traps. My question would be if this is something worth considering. I guess I would play along for the cheapness of it, but I don't want any safety risks or large performance troubles.

AMGtuned

PX Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
My buddy wants me to join him in a group purchase on some no-name cheap solvent traps. My question would be if this is something worth considering. I guess I would play along for the cheapness of it, but I don't want any safety risks or large performance troubles.
Safety and performance are 2 of your potential worries. The other involves a type of no-knock visit, by a lettered agency, requesting in a nice manner, all of your firearms and accessories. If you're going to do a form 1 build, please do. Stay away from chinesium traps. Never use aluminum for centerfire rifle. Read. Read. Read. Do not buy from wish. And for christ sake, it's easy enough, just do it legally

Reactions: Praetorian_6

Praetorian_6

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
Rog. Doing it legally. I am not joining my friend in the solvent trap adventure.

vinniedelpino

Guns and Butter
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2020
Charlotte NC
I'm a penny pincher... no zero compromise on a $5k rifle here. I still think my tbac ultra was well worth the money and the wait. I don't think I'll ever own a steel suppressor, and if I do it'd be strictly for bolt guns. Aluminum is pretty much for .22's only, if it's going to hold up to abuse, anyway. That pretty much leaves titanium for me.

IMO, a steel suppressor on an AR turns the gun into a front heavy broomstick. Even on an SBR, the way the gun handles goes to hell with a can. I'll forgo being able to dump multiple mags back to back to keep the rifle balanced and agile.

I don't think it's worth it to go form 1 unless you have a lathe and know what you're doing. I'd definitely bite the bullet, deal with the wait and get the new TBAC if you can swing it. That'll also get you a quick detach mount of your choice so that you can easily swap between 1/2 and 5/8" threaded barrels. If you go form 1, don't forget to post pics.

BGE541

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 6, 2011
    NC/VA
    You should have them before Christmas.
    Thanks, this thread is a good one... I’ve form 4d a few in the past, bypassing the Form 1 because I though it was too complex but if the ATF site works I’ve gotten the submission time to 10-12min and can fill out an ATF FD258 in 90 seconds.

I’d like to find a format to where I can type the info in my computer and print it out for making sets of prints for a rainy day.

bgolf92

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 2, 2017
    I went with the JK Armament kit. It is a pretty nice kit and the modularity concept is pretty cool. Only have shot it on my glock 19 and taurus tx22. It was pretty easy to drill out with their drill fixture. All my "real" cans are in jail right now so I can't compare it to my obsidian 9 or radiant. The 7075 aluminum is pretty strong aluminum and holds up to 9mm really well in my experience. They are also offering steel and titanium parts if you wanted to add some durability.

Kickin45

Deaf dumb and blind
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 7, 2018
    Not trying to hijack the OP question, but figure this is a great place to ask if there is a good solvent trap kit specifically for
    .45acp?

bgolf92

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 2, 2017
    Not trying to hijack the OP question, but figure this is a great place to ask if there is a good solvent trap kit specifically for
    .45acp?
    Well in my research I never found a kit designed specifically for 45. The JK Armament "P" kit baffles are designed to be bigger so you can drill up to a .45 caliber hole whereas the "R" kit can only be drilled out to .30 caliber.

Pwoens

Private
    Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2013
    Order fingerprint cards right from ATF, and get ink pad from Amazon...and DIY. Do NOT bother with going to sheriff office, etc.
    I had no idea you could do this? I’ve just been going to the local post office and paying $15 each time for finger prints. Do you have a link for where to order the cards? Thanks!

pucker

Teufelhunden
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    Dec 8, 2011
    currently in NW FL
    I had no idea you could do this? I’ve just been going to the local post office and paying $15 each time for finger prints. Do you have a link for where to order the cards? Thanks!
    Click the words "fingerprint cards" in my post. (hint: words turn orange when becoming hyperlink) ;)

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    .45acp?
    45 is a hard nut to crack, simply because of bore size. If you go form 1, you'll need to source your components with that in mind. A lot of cones are geared more towards rifle caliber, so they won't have the face size. And if you were to bore them to .5ish, it may shorten the cone too much. There are some great form 1 builds out there, but they came after a few fails im sure

Kickin45

Deaf dumb and blind
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 7, 2018
    Ok, so the .45 is a tough one to crack and I totally understand why.
    How about a ‘flow-through’ style for AR’s so that I don’t need to mess with my gas? Like an OSS style trap? Just curious

AMGtuned

PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2018
    Maine
    Ok, so the .45 is a tough one to crack and I totally understand why.
    How about a ‘flow-through’ style for AR’s so that I don’t need to mess with my gas? Like an OSS style trap? Just curious
    Without 3d metal printing:

You're probably getting into coaxial territory. It will allow the gas to vent into an outer chamber, still inside the tube, but out of the main stack. Definitely a few successful designs out there, and more popping up often. Most recently was Quelltech FLO, but thats all gone now.

Proper baffle design can negate back pressure issues almost entirely. Vented baffles have been used to great success. Stack design again plays a role.

Should be able to bump up buffer weight and not have to mess with gas. Gas adjustments would be made to correct backpressure issues, or port pop. But with supersonic rifle cartridges, especially higher pressure like 5.56, you need to choose which battle you're looking to win with your can. Flash, sound, recoil, etc.