• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solving a common accuracy problem on Remington 700

precisionshutr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2008
LA, CA
I have a 700 PSS and the problem I had was I would load up rounds to be 2.80" long to fit the magazine so i can plick with the remmi at the range and have a repeater. Or I would load up rounds to be 2.90" for dead on accuracy, but since the round was too long to fit the magazine, i would have a single shot gun. The difference in accuracy was from 2.8 OAL to 2.9 OAL, from what i recall, was about 1/2 moa at 100yds.

I looked into rebarreling as the whole single shot thing was too annoying at a cost of $600 to $1000. Another option was to cut and rechamber the factory barrel for $300 to $400. I also wanted an HS detachable mag system so the remmi would have a 10 round capacity.

The Solution: bought an Badger Ordnance trigger guard with a detachable magazine and killed two birds with one stone. Unlike the HS DM, they use Accuracy International magazines allowing 2.9" OAL rounds to be used. i don't get the accuracy of a custom barrel, but i will have a dead on accurate repeater rifle.

Re: Solving a common accuracy problem on Remington 700

Note: I have a 2.820 loading that shoots like the dickens (as good as sub 0.2 MoA) its just NOT a long range load (2600 fps 155 Scenar).

I also have a long range load that shoots nearly as well (as good as 0.35 MoA) and has the MV to get there--2950 fps; but here, its on the long side at 2.948 and still goes crunch as the bullet is seated.

So, I have a repeater if I' doing sub 700 yard stuff, or a single shot from the long range stuff.

Guy I know, his Remmie won't shoot under 1 MOA until he gets them out to 3.02 OAL. Need a long action for those.

Remington is stupid. So close, but so far.

600-1000 for a rebarrel job? I assume you're rolling the cost of the blank in there also right?

I'll ask my dad what he charges for a re-barrel if he cuts the chamber from scratch not including the blank costs. I think he did a bottom up accuracy job on a k98 for $300 plus cost of parts. I know I'm spoiled because it costs me a case of Grolsch plus parts, but still...

A set-back and re-chamber should not run a guy more than $100 or so. Not a difficult fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy I know, his Remmie won't shoot under 1 MOA until he gets them out to 3.02 OAL. Need a long action for those.

Remington is stupid. So close, but so far. </div></div>

3.02 OAL??? I've loaded five different 168gr rounds and the 175 SMK's, all measure under 2.92 AOL and the 175gr. SMK is at 2.89 which fith the new Badger Ordnance trigger guard. BTW...I shoot consistent 5 shot groups of around 1/2 MOA (.469 to .550" center to center groups), also shot .269 and .380 groups, but not consistent. Setting the bullets .10 to .15 off the lands is key and neck turn. those two steps got me to consistent 1/2 MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A set-back and re-chamber should not run a guy more than $100 or so. Not a difficult fix. </div></div>

Yeah, I was quoted more by the local guys. Also, everyone I spoke with mentioned the wear on the throat is an issue. Saving the money on the shortening and rechamber was good, but not having to deal with the whole process was the best part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A set-back and re-chamber should not run a guy more than $100 or so. Not a difficult fix. </div></div>

Yeah, I was quoted more by the local guys. Also, everyone I spoke with mentioned the wear on the throat is an issue. Saving the money on the shortening and rechamber was good, but not having to deal with the whole process was the best part. </div></div>

The wear on the throat goes away if you set it back, generally you don't need a long set back to have all virgin material exposed on the throat. From my experience and it seems like some others as well, the local guy is asking an awful lot for the work he's doing.

Bolt on mods are always a nice thing though.

I think your smith was bending you over or trying. I could see maybe 500-600 for a total rebarrel. I have had a few rifles setback and rechambered by my smith. He is really reasonable and quick.

But it sounds like the new detachable mag solution works for you.

For my PSS, I just loaded them to mag lenght and started load development for there. It was to be used to tactical matches and feeding from the magazine was improtant.

The 175 Serria MK usally stand a jump very well. I would think you could fine a load that will work at 2.80.
Have you tried different power/bullet combinations?
Have you shot Factory match ammo?
What load did you start with?

Varget( 43 to 44.5 gr), 175 SMK, any Brass, Fed 210m's should get you in the ball park.

Willys46

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my PSS, I just loaded them to mag lenght and started load development for there. It was to be used to tactical matches and feeding from the magazine was improtant.

The 175 Serria MK usally stand a jump very well. I would think you could fine a load that will work at 2.80.
Have you tried different power/bullet combinations?
Have you shot Factory match ammo?
What load did you start with?

Varget( 43 to 44.5 gr), 175 SMK, any Brass, Fed 210m's should get you in the ball park.

Willys46 </div></div>

Yes, i've tried a total of 6 different bullets and four powders. Also, tried factory ammo. I don't recall what load i started off with (don't have the notes with me), but in ALL cases the accuracy was significantly improved by seating the bullet less than two thousands off the throat. Setting the bullets close to the throat and turning the necks on the casings made the most significant improvements in accuracy getting me to a consistent sub 1/2 moa.

also, I checked with four smiths, all local. They were all minimum $300 for labor of a rebarrel, and upto $1000 including all parts and labor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

also, I checked with four smiths, all local. They were all minimum $300 for labor of a rebarrel, and upto $1000 including all parts and labor. </div></div>

Youch. I asked my dad on his prices.

"If it's short chambered and I have the reamer it's easy and cheap, maybe 100 bucks after I make sure it's true to the action. If I have to cut the whole chamber probably twice that. That's assuming I have the reamer, if I don't, then I'll eat 50% of the reamer cost for popular calibers, otherwise the guy owns it when I'm done. If he wants another barrel down the road his costs are lower that way."

So there you have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

also, I checked with four smiths, all local. They were all minimum $300 for labor of a rebarrel, and upto $1000 including all parts and labor. </div></div>

"If it's short chambered and I have the reamer it's easy and cheap, maybe 100 bucks after I make sure it's true to the action. If I have to cut the whole chamber probably twice that. That's assuming I have the reamer, if I don't, then I'll eat 50% of the reamer cost for popular calibers, otherwise the guy owns it when I'm done. If he wants another barrel down the road his costs are lower that way."

So there you have it. </div></div>

I checked with R&D precision, Hoage Smith, and Precision Arms locally. They're all legitimate shops. You can always get something done for cheaper. Just because it's being done cheaper dosn't mean the other four guys were "bending me over a barrel". Also, the point of the thread was i wanted to add a DM and solve the seating issue with a stock barrel. I did both with the badger ordnance DM, and it's a bolt on...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So there you have it. </div></div>

I checked with R&D precision, Hoage Smith, and Precision Arms locally. They're all legitimate shops. You can always get something done for cheaper. Just because it's being done cheaper dosn't mean the other four guys were "bending me over a barrel". Also, the point of the thread was i wanted to add a DM and solve the seating issue with a stock barrel. I did both with the badger ordnance DM, and it's a bolt on... </div></div>

As long as you're happy with it then it's a win, and bolt-ons have a nice sense of accomplishment all their own.