• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some Advice on the SCAR 20s

abn_surfer

Vaya con Dios
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2009
    Coastal South-East
    I was at the range and this guy in a tricked-out BMW showed up and unloaded his gear, long-story-short he pulled out a SCAR 20 and I swear I heard Unchained Melody and a halo around the rifle, and I felt like the kid from Christmas Story wanting the Daisy Red Rider.

So I have, is what I believe to be the best precision gun for me at least, it is an Accuracy Internation AT 2.0 (With the Thumbhole stock). I run a two-barrel set-up that allows me to practice with 308 and shoot matches with a 6.5CM. Needless to say in terms of accuracy, it's an AI, so even an old fat surfing paratrooper can LARP being a good shooter on any given day. I am in my 50s and shoot multiple times a month when the surf is flat, so I don't do run and gun anymore did plenty of that kinda thing in my youth. But, I do like the idea of a precision gas gun. However, I don't know much about the SCAR, I have read mixed reviews about the system. If I were to go through this endeavor, FN is in my backyard here in the coastal southeast, so at the very least I am supporting local businesses, right?

So, here is the question, to the "shit-house masses" Would it be worth it to sell the AI for the SCAR? Or, is the mere mention of trading an AI for a gas gun shooting blasphemy, and may the good Lord have mercy on me?

Thoughts??

Thanks for your time Y'all!

Last edited:
    I don’t believe I’d ever class the scar as a precision gas gun.

I have a fondness for a thumb hole AI, and that would be the only AI I’d own I believe.

My scar 16 is neat and gets a lot of attention from the fortnight crowds. Only reason I keep it, is that it is an early release one I got in 09.

You have something you already shoot well. The SCAR 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor is known to have issues. As the old fisherman says, don't leave fish to find fish.
    Thank you! Eloquently stated my friend. "don't leave fish to find fish"- that is a sound perspective.

I don’t believe I’d ever class the scar as a precision gas gun.

I have a fondness for a thumb hole AI, and that would be the only AI I’d own I believe.

My scar 16 is neat and gets a lot of attention from the fortnight crowds. Only reason I keep it, is that it is an early release one I got in 09.
    I might be showing my age but, what is a "fortnight"?

Ask yourself why you never see scar 20s in high level comps, but you do see large (and small) frame ARs.

For all their shortcomings the DI AR is a VERY accurate system, and while pistons are the rage, no one has really built a piston system that competes with the AR in accuracy. I wish I knew why--but you just don't see them in Precision Arena.

Just depends. Completely different rifles, apples to oranges. I have a scar 20 with about 4000 rounds on it (308) just scooped a 6.5 barrel last week actually. I have alot of time behind it and other big name gas guns. Its a fine gun. Not sure id get rid of my bolt gun for it though if I had to have only 1 or the other.

Reactions: abn_surfer
    i wasnt to impressed w/ the 20. ive had a few scars and got rid of them all. i had one 17 that shot fantastic, i thought better than the 20.
    20 was a lot bigger and heavier for no benefit over the 17. thats only a sample of one though...

if you don't need the extra precision of a bolt gun vs the ability to rain lead on something small and far away,..(it really does make me smile)
    i think the scar is one of the easiest gas guns to shoot well, it runs cleaner and appears to be reliable (at least the .308).
    the newer ones with the 1:10 twist may extend the range a little bit vs the original 1:12.

Reactions: abn_surfer
    I was at the range and this guy in a tricked-out BMW showed up and unloaded his gear, long-story-short he pulled out a SCAR 20 and I swear I heard Unchained Melody and a halo around the rifle, and I felt like the kid from Christmas Story wanting the Daisy Red Rider.

So I have, is what I believe to be the best precision gun for me at least, it is an Accuracy Internation AT 2.0 (With the Thumbhole stock). I run a two-barrel set-up that allows me to practice with 308 and shoot matches with a 6.5CM. Needless to say in terms of accuracy, it's an AI, so even an old fat surfing paratrooper can LARP being a good shooter on any given day. I am in my 50s and shoot multiple times a month when the surf is flat, so I don't do run and gun anymore did plenty of that kinda thing in my youth. But, I do like the idea of a precision gas gun. However, I don't know much about the SCAR, I have read mixed reviews about the system. If I were to go through this endeavor, FN is in my backyard here in the coastal southeast, so at the very least I am supporting local businesses, right?

So, here is the question, to the "shit-house masses" Would it be worth it to sell the AI for the SCAR? Or, is the mere mention of trading an AI for a gas gun shooting blasphemy, and may the good Lord have mercy on me?

Thoughts??

Thanks for your time Y'all!

I have been issued a VERY early MK20 and having owned an AI, the AI is by far the more accurate, and more fun range shooter and comp gun.

However, for a down and dirty fighting precision gun, it is hard to beat the scar. Any rack MK20 will shoot .75 all day long with FGMM. The 6.5 guns are known to have issues, but the 308 guns will go all day. They are accurate, reliable, decent weight, and fun. The reason you don't see them more at comps is they are spendy and you can't endlessly modify them. But for a proven system that will run forever, they are top tier.

For the civillian guns, they should probably have 608 green loctite applied as per the spec sheet that pops up when you search MK20 torque spec sheet.

Reactions: N-C and abn_surfer
    As a follow-up question, "Since the SCAR 20 has a mix of thoughts on battle rifle vs. precision, what would be considered a worthy precision gas gun?" Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks Y'all

As a follow-up question, "Since the SCAR 20 has a mix of thoughts on battle rifle vs. precision, what would be considered a worthy precision gas gun?" Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks Y'all
    The scar 20 is 100% a precision gas gun. In fact id find hard pressed to find another chf chrome lined barrel that shoots as well. It shoots as well as my APC

Reactions: Texascbr
    Can't put a can on SCARs without voiding the warranty, at least with 16s.

FN is a NIGHTMARE to deal with for warranty or customer service. Better off getting an SP-10.

I shoot my large frame SP10 better than my small frame Mk12 or 16" SPR gas guns.

Also, lovet AT-X, but I do think large frame gas guns serve a purpose. I can very easily double tap steel from 500-800 with the SP10 in 6.5.

Good battle rifle but it won’t shoot like the ai.

I've been shooting scars since 2012 and have had excellent accuracy and reliability. I've taken deer and elk with all three 17s, 20s 308 & 6.5cm. I've never had optic failures. My 6.5 wears a ZCO 4-20x50. I had issues with my 6.5 blowing primers and FN responded quickly and had my rifle returned with a new barrel in a week. I also have an fnx45 and 509t which also perform flawlessly. I suppress every one of them without issue. The 20s' are a bit heavy but also make it easier to shoot. I hunt with a biathlon sling so it's not an issue. My favorite is probably the 20s 308. I chopped the barrel to 18" and it feels just right. Something about shooting a 308 just makes me happy.

I own both. And I would never sell my ai for a scar anything however....
    My 20s hammers in 6.5cm. only issue I had was piercing primers but after fn swapped the firing pin and bolt to the sfp, it rocks and I supress the shit out of it. They paid shipping both ways and had it back in 10 days....

Does this regularly..... .75" paster.

20231028_131533.jpg

I am overwhelmed at the response from this post, I honestly thought that the thread would go into obscurity. However, the opposite happened and I am profoundly intrigued at the variety of responses from the community to assist in making an informed decision.

On the other hand, I have decided to move forward selling the AI for personal reasons. So if you are interested in a great system, check out the Buy, Sell,Trade forum, I will have it up.

Thank you all once again.

Reactions: Riverlife87
    I own both. And I would never sell my ai for a scar anything however....
    My 20s hammers in 6.5cm. only issue I had was piercing primers but after fn swapped the firing pin and bolt to the sfp, it rocks and I supress the shit out of it. They paid shipping both ways and had it back in 10 days....

Does this regularly..... .75" paster.

View attachment 8292574
    I have an older 20 with the stepped barrel. Just picked up a 6.5 barrel and its popping everything. Hoping they help me out

My AR10 is a much better shooting experience than the SCAR20 I had ever did.

It does look cool … but it doesn’t hold a candle to my AR10 in shooting dynamics and accuracy.

Why not just buy the 17 which has a 16 already?
    Completely different animal, different receiver, barrel extension & barrel profile. Wayyy better. They should scrap the 17 all together and do a light weight 16” 20 with a different stock. IMO.

Reactions: ScarlettRed
    Completely different animal, different receiver, barrel extension & barrel profile. Wayyy better. They should scrap the 17 all together and do a light weight 16” 20 with a different stock. IMO.

I get the differences, but the 17 is capable of fantastic accuracy as is. Easily sub moa gun and with any of the rail extension kits the short rail is a non issue.

I get the differences, but the 17 is capable of fantastic accuracy as is. Easily sub moa gun and with any of the rail extension kits the short rail is a non issue.
    I love my 17 but I still do not think it’s an even match accuracy wise. Mine is not an MOA rifle. Its close but cant touch my 20

I have had the chance to see MANY scar 17s. I would suggest looking up my torque spec sheet and retorquing your gun from the ground up. They tend to shoot pretty good with 175 FGMM.

The 20 is more accurate, but not overly so.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
    There is also the Scaburator from Mototech for the SCAR that allows you to tune the gas setting to be much less over gassed.

Has anyone run one and seen if it improves accuracy?
    I'll let you know in a month. Ordered one yesterday but they are back ordered. I have heard good reviews.

I've got a scarburator gen 3 on my mk20 308. I think it works fine. I also bought a discarder last month to put on my other mk20 6.5. I had to send it back as it was too big to fit in the gas block bore. Horrible quality control. I plan to order up another scarburator in the gen4 this time.

I've got a scarburator gen 3 on my mk20 308. I think it works fine. I also bought a discarder last month to put on my other mk20 6.5. I had to send it back as it was too big to fit in the gas block bore. Horrible quality control. I plan to order up another scarburator in the gen4 this time.

That is good to know. Were you able to see/measure any accuracy improvements between the stock regulator and the scarburator?

Probably just softer recoil/ejection. My biggest improvement was cutting it down from 20" to 18". Accuracy improved and handling is superb. I've made hits out to 1200y and just sighted it in last week and drilled the last 4 shots in a .4 inch group. Scars aren't perfect, but they check more boxes for me than anything else at the moment. Looking forward to the pws uxr though.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
    Probably just softer recoil/ejection. My biggest improvement was cutting it down from 20" to 18". Accuracy improved and handling is superb. I've made hits out to 1200y and just sighted it in last week and drilled the last 4 shots in a .4 inch group. Scars aren't perfect, but they check more boxes for me than anything else at the moment. Looking forward to the pws uxr though.

Uh... .4 inches at 1200 yards is like 0.03 moa. At 100 yards . 4 inches is still top end bolt gun accuracy.

From what I understand in a gas gun their will be a torque on the barrel from the gas system causing the barrel to tilt while the bullet is on the barrel. Less gas should result in less off axis force to tip the barrel and thus less deflect/harmonic barrel effects. For the DT MDRx we saw improved accuracy at lower gas settings.