• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some "big" game success.

CharlieTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Tenneseee, USA
Fairly new to this forum and will mostly read as most here know way more than I do.

Just recently acquired a Savage MKII FV and put a Truglo 6-24x44 on it to start learning precision rifle as I've pretty much exclusively shot handguns and shotguns.

Went to the range today and had some fun trying out some different loads. Was shooting at a reduced IDPA target (8.5x11) at 50 yards and this pesky fly kept hanging out on the target. Couldn't resist the temptation. Shot at him 3 times and just barely missed all 3 times before he flew off. Guess he had a death wish as he came back. This time I missed twice and nailed him on the 3rd shot.

50yfliesx2.jpg

Few minutes later a budy of his came by to check on the carnage and decided to hand out next to the remains so I nailed him on the first shot (hole to the right). Had never done this before and man am I hooked. I've read of people putting syrup or honey on their targets to attract flies then drilling them. I'll have to give this a try.

Oh, here's my rifle. Savage MKII FV with Caldwell bipod and Truglo 6-24x44 scope. Love this gun so far.

SavageMKIIFVTruglo624x44small.jpg

Charlie

Re: Some "big" game success.

Good shooting, Charlie. Yes, insect shooting can be addictive. With all the grasshoppers we had out here in Nebraska this year, I didn't once get out to shoot at them... What was I thinking??? Trophy grasshopper season is over here now.

Perhaps I can muster in a few flies before it gets to cold...
smile.gif

I was proud when I bagged my first fly. I did it at 25 yards though, with my 10/22.

Good shooting.

It was funny the first time I tried to bag him. I just barely missed 3 times in a row. Fly must have been wondering what that buzzing noise was. I was surprised at the splatter when I did finally did hit him. The second one didn't splatter so much.

Glad you don't need a license for this. Lord knows there are plenty of them down here to bag. Now to find an electronic call and figure out which kind of camo I need. :)

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was funny the first time I tried to bag him. I just barely missed 3 times in a row. Fly must have been wondering what that buzzing noise was. I was surprised at the splatter when I did finally did hit him. The second one didn't splatter so much.

Glad you don't need a license for this. Lord knows there are plenty of them down here to bag. Now to find an electronic call and figure out which kind of camo I need. :)

Charlie </div></div>

Don't forget on figuring out how much to lead 'em, Charlie...
grin.gif

PS... Welcome to the Hide!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting, Charlie. Yes, insect shooting can be addictive. With all the grasshoppers we had out here in Nebraska this year, I didn't once get out to shoot at them... What was I thinking??? Trophy grasshopper season is over here now.

Perhaps I can muster in a few flies before it gets to cold...
smile.gif
</div></div>

Grasshoppers used to be big game to me walking around the yard with my bb gun. Those big green ones were like taking a moose whenever you came across one! lol.

Branden

I was expecting some dumb ass question about shooting an Elk or something along those lines with a .22LR...

LOL was not expecting fly shooting.

Great stuff
smile.gif

You are making me want to have a try! I might have to round up my two boys for some fly shooting at the range...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are making me want to have a try! I might have to round up my two boys for some fly shooting at the range... </div></div>

Definitely give it a try. Very addictive. Kept hoping another one or two would have come by for a visit but no luck.

Not very sporting ground slushing them like that. Real sportsmen will only take them in flight.
smile.gif

There are certain things you can smear on a targets to get more flies on it.

and a new shooting sport is born!
grin.gif

i use to have loads of fun picking off grasshoppers in the bare spot at the base of the 50 yard target line with my cz 452. i can see how flies would be a challenge but shooting those big yellow grasshoppers got kind of boring after a while. i like the idea of only shooting them "on the wing". can we use ratshot?

Yellow Jackets are fun targets too. I found a decaying mouse on a bare spot in my field. Yellow Jackets buzzing around trying to eat it (tis the carnivorous season right now)

Anyway, they are a bit bigger, but when one dies, more come (dead yellow jackets attract more)

In the south there are individuals who shoot wood bees on the wing using .22's and rat shot. Haven't tried it yet but want to.

Good one.

Most of these guys are using single action revolvers and doing a bit of the "cowboy" thing on them. Looks like a lot of fun.

Charlie

Pretty good day of hunting....

shot a fly with my massaged 77/22...right before I pulling the trigger I thought to myself "no one will believe me" but much to my surprised that joker EXPLODED when it got popped by the .22. I raised up from my scope and looked at my 8 year old son and my Father and said, "you aren't going to believe this......"

after a walk down range...I made them a believer...

Few moments later a wasp landed on the target....cut him in two pieces....

Nothing left to take to the taxidermist but some damn fine memories right there. I don't know who talks about it more, ME, my dad, or my son.

great story and great pics.!!!