• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Some bolt knob install pictures

monteboy84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2008
Elk River, MN
www.snipercentral.com
I brought the camera to the shop last night, a couple of these are bad pictures but you get the idea. I'll try to get some captions added in when I have more time. Hope you enjoy them....

100_0001.jpg

100_0010.jpg

100_0011.jpg

100_0006.jpg

100_0008.jpg

100_0009.jpg

100_0002.jpg

100_0014.jpg

100_0017.jpg

100_0016.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-matt

Re: Some bolt knob install pictures

they look real good! are you using a heat sink at all to limit the heat making it to the camming surface of the handle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they look real good! are you using a heat sink at all to limit the heat making it to the camming surface of the handle? </div></div>

Thank you sir! I've loved reading your DIY threads on your rifle build and everything else, very nice work.

On heat, I just wrap the bolt body in a moist rag while holding it in the vise, and cool the handle with air after welding. I work fast to keep things from getting too hot, since heat will upset the strength of the soldered/brazed joint between the handle and the body before it gets to the cam surface.

I've done 150 or so this way and have only repaired 2, but it was my weld that broke (full disclosure). They were both Howa 1500's and I've since changed my method for Howa's to alleviate the problem that caused the weak joint.

Thanks for the input, keep up the great work!

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good bud! </div></div>

Thanks bro, give me a shout when you're ready to install yours and I'll walk you through it.

-matt

Did this one yesterday in all of 30 min... including Krylon..lol! Easy as pie..
Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Those look really great.

Never seen pics of it done right like that.

Very nice work sir

7mmRM, did you use the same kit? I dont see the round part of the stud anywhere. Just goes from handle to knob. 30 minutes is fast howd you do yours?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those look really great.

Never seen pics of it done right like that.

Very nice work sir</div></div>

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

7mmRM did his with a kit I sent him, he just did his shaping differently than what I typically do so the round portion has been squared off.

-matt

Wow the round part was squared?

I hate to say it but I alllmost like these kits now. I'd never do one this way, but if I was going into battle, I might have to get it done this way. Along with having the handle welded to the bolt body, otherwise there'd be no point in it being stronger.

The way you did that is stronger than most ways. But, overkill is still overkill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow the round part was squared? </div></div>

Yup, he chamfered before welding so there's plenty of penetration, just a different way of shaping it.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I did it in roughly 30min. </div></div>

Pretty damn good, even despite being your first-time!! From unpacking the bolt to being done with paint runs me 45 minutes average on a Remington. I'd tape it, but would make for a very boring video
grin.gif

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you by chance tell me the diameter of that insert at the round part? Never measured one in any way before </div></div>

The large diameter is .375", the small diameter is .149", with a tolerance of course. My drilled holes have a tolerance, so I keep a number of inserts on hand, and find the best-fitting combination for every bolt, so the insert is nearly a press fit prior to welding. I use a #25 bit on almost every one.

-matt

.375 fits the newer Remys great. The older ones have much slimmer handles though.
I got one in like that. Done wrong needless to say, but the hole was drilled crooked and the hanlde diameter was way under the size of the .375 round part. You can picture how it looked with no refinishing or filing/machining/sanding.
Needless to say it was in bad need to re-doing.

The way you do it, again, is very nice sir.
Have you had any problems with slimmer handles though?

Thats one of the things I like most about my offerings. I turn out knob here to fit each handle they go on. So if a handle is .305 at its widest point, I can turn it out so the nose of the knob is .310.

On the slimmer handles, I've either built the front and rear of the handle out with filler rod, or just blended the weld to flare out to the round portion. I believe I did T.C.'s exactly that way for a Badger knob, I'll try to find the pictures tonight.

-matt

That looks awesome! If I ever buy another Factory Rem (doubtful, well maybe a huning rig) You will get a call from me!

Oh and +1 for this method being stronger than others.

What do you charge for the above knob install?
I'd say its worth at least $100 in labor, plus the bolt knob kit.

$150 seems very reasonable. $175 if refinishing is included.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you charge for the above knob install?
I'd say its worth at least $100 in labor, plus the bolt knob kit.

$150 seems very reasonable. $175 if refinishing is included. </div></div>

$130 complete, $90 labor if someone sends me a kit to install. Both include blasting, finishing, and return shipping
cool.gif

I've toyed with the price a bit, I seem to have just the right amount of demand to handle at this pricepoint. That and it covers my parts and labor pretty well, I've also got very low overhead
grin.gif

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt's the only man I let touch my knob. </div></div>

blush.gif
sick.gif
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt's the only man I let touch my knob. </div></div>

No comment....

-matt

I sent my bolt off to Matt on Friday. I can't wait to get it back. These pictures look great.